• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Curious incident at Whatcom County District Courthouse

Nitrox314

imported post

Richard6218 wrote:
OK GUYS, THE PROBLEM IS SOLVED!!! No fuss, no bother, no shouting, no threats. Here's what happened today.

I locked my weapon in the car and went thru security and did my business on the 3rd floor. On my way out of the building I stopped in at the last office before the exit, the County Admin. Office. The receptionist called the Division Manager, George Reid, who came out from his office. He has overall responsibility for security in the building, so he is THE MAN to talk to about all issues about guns. He is a very amiable guy, which madethe mattermuch easier to discuss. He brought with him a copy of a 2005-dated court order restricting all areas of the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th floors from firearms. With a complete copy of the RCW on the counter in front of us, I explained the difference between Section -.050, conceal carry, and Section -270, open carry. When I was finally able to get the words out about carrying OUTside the security perimeter and that no license is required for OC (under -.270) he finally agreed that they only need to ask for a CPL for CC and NOT for OC. The conversation ended with him saying "I'll take care of that for you".

I said I would confirm the discussion with a letter.

Mission accomplished.
Nice thing about Whatcom. I love that place. It's usually better when it comes to respecting citizens than the metro areas.

Richard6218

imported post

thebastidge wrote:
"they simply accept your statement that you are a federal LEO without verifying it."

Remember what they say about assumptions. CDAT doesn't say that. He says they told him he doesn't have to, which is inline with State law. He never said they didn't ask for ID or that they didn't verify.
Here's what he said in his original post:
...they never asked to see any thing, just gave me a key and then told me to walk around the metal detector.

I presume by this he was referring to his LEO ID, such as badge, ID card, etc.

CDAT, what actually happened about that?

CDAT

imported post

Richard6218 wrote:
thebastidge wrote:
"they simply accept your statement that you are a federal LEO without verifying it."

Remember what they say about assumptions. CDAT doesn't say that. He says they told him he doesn't have to, which is inline with State law. He never said they didn't ask for ID or that they didn't verify.
...they never asked to see any thing, just gave me a key and then told me to walk around the metal detector.

The first that I heard that you needed to show a CPL was on here so the few times that I have been there I have just walked up and asked for a key and never had any issue with getting one, in the future will make sure that I have my permit on me and give it to them, so I can try to do the right thing.

Richard6218

imported post

CDAT wrote:
Richard6218 wrote:
thebastidge wrote:

The first that I heard that you needed to show a CPL was on here so the few times that I have been there I have just walked up and asked for a key and never had any issue with getting one, in the future will make sure that I have my permit on me and give it to them, so I can try to do the right thing.
Don't worry about the CPL. Your federal ID will cover you under RCW 9.41.300. All you need do is flash your badge. If you want to get a CPL that would just be frosting.

CDAT

imported post

Richard6218 wrote:
CDAT wrote:
Richard6218 wrote:
thebastidge wrote:

Don't worry about the CPL. Your federal ID will cover you under RCW 9.41.300. All you need do is flash your badge. If you want to get a CPL that would just be frosting.
No worry had one long before being a LEO.