• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What exactly is the definition of "open carry"?

imp81318

imported post

Hey guys, I'm in PA and am somewhat new to carrying a firearm. I have my license to carry concealed, but I don't typically carry. For the record, my firearm is S&W model 686 .357 Mag. I am just a little unclear as to exactly what constitutes "open carry" as I've been given much information regarding carrying, a large percentage of which I've discovered to be false (such as having the firearm laying on the seat of a car could be considered "concealed" because of the windshield "covering it"), so if anyone could find a law that clearly states what is "open carry" and what is "concealed carry" I'd appreciate it. Does a holster still fall under concealed carry?

Also, while I'm here and typing, do you guys have any good suggestions for a type of holster to get to carry my firearm? I don't intend to carry it in public frequently (I hope to get a semi-auto that will be easier to conceal for that), but I'd like to be able to carry in the woods without it being obvious to avoid unnecessary questions from hikers/etc. I'd like to get something that will be comfortable, and I can use whether I am in hunting clothes sitting in a tree stand all day, or just out in shorts and a t-shirt hiking.

Thanks for any and all input!

Farmer Troy

imported post

Welcome to the forum imp81318,

First of all, one of my personal peeves is when someone says that they have a license to carry concealed or concealed carry permit. In Pennsylvania, the real name is a License to Carry Firearms (LTCF). I like to use the correct terminology.

As for your question, I am not the best expert around here but I'll give it a shot.

As for a firearm in a vehicle . . . that is true . . . you need to have a LTCF in order to carry a loaded weapon legally in a vehicle . . . not because the windshield conceals it though.

A gun in a holster is not concealed unless it is hidden from view. A gun in a holster that is open for public viewing would be open carry.

Hope that helps!! Maybe others will give their expertise also.

BTW, one of the best references I know of is the PA Gun Rights flyer that you can print out and carry with you. You can get it here . . .

http://paopencarry.org/downloads.html