• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

stupid open carry question agin..

Kenshinx2

imported post

can you use a holser that completely covers your gun when you open carry? as the one im getting kinda has a flap over the top so you cant acutaly see the gun what do yah think? a big no no or?

THway

imported post

One of our other members hosted a picnic in ann arbor wearing this style of holster. (Rogue9er) be his name. I myself do not see anything wrong in this style of holster. How ever you may be opening the door to some unwanted invitations.

SQLtables

imported post

THway wrote:
One of our other members hosted a picnic in ann arbor wearing this style of holster. (Rogue9er) be his name. I myself do not see anything wrong in this style of holster. How ever you may be opening the door to some unwanted invitations.
I think you're right. Should it be OK? Yes it should. Will it be OK? The courts will probably have to decide that one, because if an officer is going to stop you for OC, this would be great ammo for them (at least in their minds).

I assume you don't have a CPL, otherwise the point is moot for you.

ghostrider

imported post

I personally don't think a holster like that should be a problem, since it's obvious that it's a gun. However, I would recommend that you "WASH, RINSE, REPEAT" if your going to use a holster like that.

Exposed, IWB shouldn't be a problem either, but it's been known to happen.

SQLtables

imported post

ghostrider wrote:
I personally don't think a holster like that should be a problem, since it's obvious that it's a gun. However, I would recommend that you "WASH, RINSE, REPEAT" if your going to use a holster like that.

Exposed, IWB shouldn't be a problem either, but it's been known to happen.
I guess that was the point I was trying to make.

Peacemaker .45

imported post

I have a canvas holster for my 1911 that has a flap that covers most of the pistol. About an inch of the grips sticks out. I read this post the other day so I was wondering about my holster.

Saturday I stopped by the MSP post in Oak Park, took my holster in and asked them if this is a legal holster for OC. The SGT said that there is nothing illegal with the holster as long as it's completely exposed.

MSP says okay, but I'm not sure how local LEO's would react.