Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: website for VIRGINIA gun owners/buyers to sell/buy firearms?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dinwiddie, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    213

    Post imported post

    I'm a big fan of craigslist. I look on there several times a day to see whats being sold and even sell stuff on there myself....and its FREE !!

    But firearms are not allowed .

    Anyone know of a website for VIRGINIA that allows firearms to be listed and sold?

    I know there is GunBroker and GunsAmerica as well as forums that allow guns to be listed but these are nationwide sites...not broken down into regions like craigslist......Richmond, Hampton Roads, NOVA, etc. So most of these transactions are going to require shipping the gun which adds to the cost, sending your money to someone you don't know and hope you don't get ripped off. And sending your gun to someone you've never seen and hoping its not a 16 year old crackhead.

    I just think that its cheaper, easier, and safer to deal with someone in person rather than through the mail.

    I just went through this with a guy I bought an AR15 from last week. He had it for sale on GunsAmerica but everyone who wanted to buy the gun was from California and he didnt want to send the gun out there because of their strict gun laws ( I guess he just didn't want anything coming back and biting him in the ass later). I had bought one gun from him and was interested in the AR15 but wasnt willing to pay the asking price. The people from Cali were willing to pay his asking price, which was a fair price, but he offered the gun to me at a lesser price just because I was local and he had dealt with me before person-to-person and he was comfortable with me.

    -----I'm considering starting a website for selling/buying/trading firearms and accessories just for the state of Virginia. Its not going to be a discussion forum, strictly for "firearms selling/buying/trading"to keep it small and keep the price of hosting as low as possible. And it will be FREE to post your gun for sale.I can use the same forum software and hosting that this site uses.

    -----That being said ... how about some input on this idea....suggestions, comments, .....anything ??

    THANKS

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Virginia Beach, ,
    Posts
    204

    Post imported post

    AR15.com has an "equipment exchange (EE)" in the Hometown section. Go here http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.htm...4&t=187670 and select "Search Virginia ads"

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dinwiddie, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    213

    Post imported post

    DocV wrote:
    AR15.com has an "equipment exchange (EE)" in the Hometown section. Go here http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.htm...4&t=187670 and select "Search Virginia ads"
    I tried that last night and you have to use VIRGINIA, not VA, because it must be 3 letters long and VA is just 2. Alot of people use VA, and they might use NoVa so you have to search for that too.

    But thanks for the input !!

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Virginia Beach, ,
    Posts
    204

    Post imported post

    You're welcome.

    You shouldn't have to enter anything. The link I sent you should take you straight to a page that says:

    EE Search By State:

    This also keeps all the for sale adds in the EE.

    Search Virginia Ads

    Search West Virginia Ads

    Search North Carolina Ads

    Search Maryland Ads

    Buyer and Seller Feedback

    All you have to do is click on the Search Virginia Ads. It's already set up to find all Virginia related ads.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dinwiddie, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    213

    Post imported post

    I never even saw that there was a listing of states for an individual state search.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dinwiddie, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    213

    Post imported post

    OK...I just went straight to the SEARCH page which is here - http://www.ar15.com/forums/search.html?b=7&f=&t=

    and I still don't see the STATES listings to search by state, where is it?



  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Virginia Beach, ,
    Posts
    204

    Post imported post

    Don't go to the search page at all. The link in my post above will take you directly to where you want to go or you can:

    1. Go the AR15.com homepage

    2. Find the Hometown tab and click on it

    3. Go to the Virginias tab and click on it

    4. Go to the very first topic, "EE Search By State" by VA-gunnut and click on it

    5. That will open the thread I linked you to above.

    6. Click on "Search VA ads" that will open all the VA ads automatically. Any ad related to Va, Virginia, NoVa, etc is listed there.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Thundar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Newport News, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,961

    Post imported post

    I would love to see private sales done in the public square. The best would be in Norfolk, VA right outside the city hall before we go again to inform the city council about the evil that lurks within their city. Perhaps the open buying and selling of EBRs on city property would have a lasting impact upon the Norfolk City Council.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

    The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Virginia USA, ,
    Posts
    1,688

    Post imported post

    Thundar wrote:
    I would love to see private sales done in the public square. The best would be in Norfolk, VA right outside the city hall before we go again to inform the city council about the evil that lurks within their city. Perhaps the open buying and selling of EBRs on city property would have a lasting impact upon the Norfolk City Council.
    Bro, you'd have the Norfolk SWAT down on you for "illegal arms trade"!

  10. #10
    Regular Member Shovelhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    NO VA, ,
    Posts
    355

    Post imported post

    I have purchased on http://www.thehighroad.org, and http://www.thehighroad.us

    (loooong story: there are links on those sites to the reasoning)

    You can search .org by VA, but .us says it's too short.



    Assault Weapon (N) “Any firearm whose design disturbs the sleep of progressive politicians.”.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Fairfax, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    18

    Post imported post

    I was thinking the same thing. Its really annoying to search through multiple sites and decide if the used VA, NOVA,Va Virginia etc etc. Hell all we need is a domain and classified ad app..

  12. #12
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705

    Post imported post

    Just a thought.... if you were going to go to the trouble to implement something like this, it would probably be well worth your effort to set up a "forum" or whatever the appropriate term is to the implementation, that applies to each state where it is legal to conduct private person-to-person firearms transactions.

    Although Google may be out, there are other sources of ad revenue, and if such a site were to take off and the word spread, it is possible that it could be quite self-sustaining.

    Once you set up one, adding others shouldn't be too difficult.

    Just a thought.

    TFred

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Fairfax, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    18

    Post imported post

    should someone be interested in starting this wouldnt it be better to setup classifieds using real classified software? Or are forums more acceptable and comfortable?

    Anyone interested in something like this pm or email me. I do this crap for a living and am investigating software etc

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NOVA, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    732

    Post imported post

    Thundar wrote:
    I would love to see private sales done in the public square. The best would be in Norfolk, VA right outside the city hall before we go again to inform the city council about the evil that lurks within their city. Perhaps the open buying and selling of EBRs on city property would have a lasting impact upon the Norfolk City Council.
    In Front Royal they have "Flea Market" type setup on the weekendsand I've seen numerous tables with firearms for sale. I haven't seen one actually purchased, but I have seen people inspecting them and such. I never found anything I just had to have, but if I ever find one that catches my eye, I'm buying it.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dinwiddie, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    213

    Post imported post

    Sam_G21 wrote:
    should someone be interested in starting this wouldnt it be better to setup classifieds using real classified software? Or are forums more acceptable and comfortable?

    Anyone interested in something like this pm or email me. I do this crap for a living and am investigating software etc
    classified software ....does it exist? I'll look into that.

    I've already looked into using this same forum software being used here along with their hosting.

    The forum will look very simular and will work the same way....it just needs to be a forum for posting firearms-for-sale, not chit-chat and discussion.

    I'll do it if there arent any legal issues or other problems with me doing so...I'm not aware of any.

    But I'm sure I'll need some disclaimers on there to protect myself incase someone does something stupid ----- thats where I'll need some good suggestions !!

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dinwiddie, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    213

    Post imported post

    I started a new post about a trail version forum for BUYING/SELLING/TRADING firearms here in the Comonwealth.

    http://freetrial.mywowbb.com/heres the site

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    27

    Post imported post

    trx680 wrote:
    I started a new post about a trail version forum for BUYING/SELLING/TRADING firearms here in the Comonwealth.

    http://freetrial.mywowbb.com/heres the site
    Love IT! Just need people to get it going. I hate other sites, where what I want is on the other side of the earth...

    Thanks for putting this up, hopefully it will get going.



    ORCGUY

  18. #18
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    394

    Post imported post

    Not trying to step on anyone's toes, but I've been planning a site similar to what's being described for a little while now. I've got a domain and site up and running, but it's not quite ready for general consumption.

    The end result will be a site that you can sign up on and input your zip code, and then you get a customized view of all FTF sales within a configurable number of miles (once other users post items for sale).

    I'll hold off on providing a link as it's not quite ready yet. I'd be done with it already, but I'm a .NET developer and I'm doing this in PHP so it's taking longer than I had planned. Anywho, if anyone is interested in testing in a week or three, PM or email me and I'll forward you the link when I'm ready for testing. Sam_G21, you know PHP?
    Find businesses that are pro gun...and those that aren't. Friend or Foe - Version 2 is online!

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dinwiddie, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    213

    Post imported post

    bnkrazy wrote:
    Not trying to step on anyone's toes, but I've been planning a site similar to what's being described for a little while now. I've got a domain and site up and running, but it's not quite ready for general consumption.

    The end result will be a site that you can sign up on and input your zip code, and then you get a customized view of all FTF sales within a configurable number of miles (once other users post items for sale).

    I'll hold off on providing a link as it's not quite ready yet. I'd be done with it already, but I'm a .NET developer and I'm doing this in PHP so it's taking longer than I had planned. Anywho, if anyone is interested in testing in a week or three, PM or email me and I'll forward you the link when I'm ready for testing. Sam_G21, you know PHP?
    is this a nationwide website?

  20. #20
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    394

    Post imported post

    The domain lends itself to national use, as it is not a VA specific domain. I purchased it a while ago.

    On signup, you enter your state and zip, and the plan is to have search options based on those fields. Also, when you add an item, it will ask for the item zip location (thinking ahead for non-firearms items as the domain isn't necessarily tied to firearms only items) so you can live in one part of the state and let people know they will need to pickthis particular itemup at a different area.

    I had planned on just posting a link on THR to get the word out when it's ready, but a VA pilot firstto work out any kinks would be great if you're interested.
    Find businesses that are pro gun...and those that aren't. Friend or Foe - Version 2 is online!

  21. #21
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705

    Post imported post

    bnkrazy wrote:
    The domain lends itself to national use, as it is not a VA specific domain. I purchased it a while ago.

    On signup, you enter your state and zip, and the plan is to have search options based on those fields. Also, when you add an item, it will ask for the item zip location (thinking ahead for non-firearms items as the domain isn't necessarily tied to firearms only items) so you can live in one part of the state and let people know they will need to pickthis particular itemup at a different area.

    I had planned on just posting a link on THR to get the word out when it's ready, but a VA pilot firstto work out any kinks would be great if you're interested.
    Just to clarify, you'll have both a "distance from zip" as well as a "by state" search ability? Your first post mentioned the first, but not the second. For FTF firearms transfers, the "by state" search criteria is much more important than "distance from zip", since that can easily cross state boundaries.

    Just trying to think ahead, from what I've seen on other sites (such as THR, etc.) there will be those who are willing and those who are not willing to ship to a FFL. You may wish to add checkboxes and data elements to allow the seller to indicate their desire in this area, and perhaps even allow a searcher to filter on this item as well. I know it can be frustrating when you see "that perfect gun" but then you notice that the seller will only do FTF and is not in your state, etc.

    TFred

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dinwiddie, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    213

    Post imported post

    give it a try !!

    I'm about to pull he trigger on this one in the next day or so. My intention is just for Virginia.

  23. #23
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    394

    Post imported post

    TFred wrote:
    Just to clarify, you'll have both a "distance from zip" as well as a "by state" search ability? Your first post mentioned the first, but not the second. For FTF firearms transfers, the "by state" search criteria is much more important than "distance from zip", since that can easily cross state boundaries.

    Just trying to think ahead, from what I've seen on other sites (such as THR, etc.) there will be those who are willing and those who are not willing to ship to a FFL. You may wish to add checkboxes and data elements to allow the seller to indicate their desire in this area, and perhaps even allow a searcher to filter on this item as well. I know it can be frustrating when you see "that perfect gun" but then you notice that the seller will only do FTF and is not in your state, etc.

    TFred
    Correct. It will have those and other search/filtering options. Zip code areas do not cross states, so I could limit the distance search to only return items in the matching state. I share your frustration when finding a gun I want but the seller isn't close enough or doesn't want to send to a FFL. All that will be filterable.
    Find businesses that are pro gun...and those that aren't. Friend or Foe - Version 2 is online!

  24. #24
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705

    Post imported post

    bnkrazy wrote:
    TFred wrote:
    Just to clarify, you'll have both a "distance from zip" as well as a "by state" search ability? Your first post mentioned the first, but not the second. For FTF firearms transfers, the "by state" search criteria is much more important than "distance from zip", since that can easily cross state boundaries.

    Just trying to think ahead, from what I've seen on other sites (such as THR, etc.) there will be those who are willing and those who are not willing to ship to a FFL. You may wish to add checkboxes and data elements to allow the seller to indicate their desire in this area, and perhaps even allow a searcher to filter on this item as well. I know it can be frustrating when you see "that perfect gun" but then you notice that the seller will only do FTF and is not in your state, etc.

    TFred
    Correct. It will have those and other search/filtering options. Zip code areas do not cross states, so I could limit the distance search to only return items in the matching state. I share your frustration when finding a gun I want but the seller isn't close enough or doesn't want to send to a FFL. All that will be filterable.
    Sounds really good... I bet you will find many folks who are frustrated with the limitations on several other boards will be very happy if you can get this to work as planned!

    Here is a simple illustration of what I was suggesting for the seller to indicate their preferences:



    You'd have to put in the code behind the form to ensure that at least one of those was a "yes" of course!

    TFred


  25. #25
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    394

    Post imported post

    I see someone has access to some development tools.


    Find businesses that are pro gun...and those that aren't. Friend or Foe - Version 2 is online!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •