• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

website for VIRGINIA gun owners/buyers to sell/buy firearms?

VaGunTrader

imported post

I'm a big fan of craigslist. I look on there several times a day to see whats being sold and even sell stuff on there myself....and its FREE !!

But firearms are not allowed :cry:.

Anyone know of a website for VIRGINIA that allows firearms to be listed and sold?

I know there is GunBroker and GunsAmerica as well as forums that allow guns to be listed but these are nationwide sites...not broken down into regions like craigslist......Richmond, Hampton Roads, NOVA, etc. So most of these transactions are going to require shipping the gun which adds to the cost, sending your money to someone you don't know and hope you don't get ripped off. And sending your gun to someone you've never seen and hoping its not a 16 year old crackhead.

I just think that its cheaper, easier, and safer to deal with someone in person rather than through the mail.

I just went through this with a guy I bought an AR15 from last week. He had it for sale on GunsAmerica but everyone who wanted to buy the gun was from California and he didnt want to send the gun out there because of their strict gun laws ( I guess he just didn't want anything coming back and biting him in the ass later). I had bought one gun from him and was interested in the AR15 but wasnt willing to pay the asking price. The people from Cali were willing to pay his asking price, which was a fair price, but he offered the gun to me at a lesser price just because I was local and he had dealt with me before person-to-person and he was comfortable with me.

-----I'm considering starting a website for selling/buying/trading firearms and accessories just for the state of Virginia. Its not going to be a discussion forum, strictly for "firearms selling/buying/trading"to keep it small and keep the price of hosting as low as possible. And it will be FREE to post your gun for sale.I can use the same forum software and hosting that this site uses.

-----That being said ... how about some input on this idea....suggestions, comments, .....anything ??

THANKS

VaGunTrader

imported post

DocV wrote:
AR15.com has an "equipment exchange (EE)" in the Hometown section. Go here http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=24&t=187670 and select "Search Virginia ads"

I tried that last night and you have to use VIRGINIA, not VA, because it must be 3 letters long and VA is just 2. Alot of people use VA, and they might use NoVa so you have to search for that too.

But thanks for the input !!

DocV

DocV

imported post

Don't go to the search page at all. The link in my post above will take you directly to where you want to go or you can:

1. Go the AR15.com homepage

2. Find the Hometown tab and click on it

3. Go to the Virginias tab and click on it

4. Go to the very first topic, "EE Search By State" by VA-gunnut and click on it

5. That will open the thread I linked you to above.

6. Click on "Search VA ads" that will open all the VA ads automatically. Any ad related to Va, Virginia, NoVa, etc is listed there.

Thundar

imported post

I would love to see private sales done in the public square. The best would be in Norfolk, VA right outside the city hall before we go again to inform the city council about the evil that lurks within their city. Perhaps the open buying and selling of EBRs on city property would have a lasting impact upon the Norfolk City Council.

hsmith

imported post

Thundar wrote:
I would love to see private sales done in the public square. The best would be in Norfolk, VA right outside the city hall before we go again to inform the city council about the evil that lurks within their city. Perhaps the open buying and selling of EBRs on city property would have a lasting impact upon the Norfolk City Council.
Bro, you'd have the Norfolk SWAT down on you for "illegal arms trade"!

Sam_G21

imported post

I was thinking the same thing. Its really annoying to search through multiple sites and decide if the used VA, NOVA,Va Virginia etc etc. Hell all we need is a domain and classified ad app..

TFred

imported post

Just a thought.... if you were going to go to the trouble to implement something like this, it would probably be well worth your effort to set up a "forum" or whatever the appropriate term is to the implementation, that applies to each state where it is legal to conduct private person-to-person firearms transactions.

Although Google may be out, there are other sources of ad revenue, and if such a site were to take off and the word spread, it is possible that it could be quite self-sustaining.

Once you set up one, adding others shouldn't be too difficult.

Just a thought.

TFred

Sam_G21

imported post

should someone be interested in starting this wouldnt it be better to setup classifieds using real classified software? Or are forums more acceptable and comfortable?

Anyone interested in something like this pm or email me. I do this crap for a living and am investigating software etc

eyesopened

imported post

Thundar wrote:
In Front Royal they have "Flea Market" type setup on the weekendsand I've seen numerous tables with firearms for sale. I haven't seen one actually purchased, but I have seen people inspecting them and such. I never found anything I just had to have, but if I ever find one that catches my eye, I'm buying it.

VaGunTrader

imported post

Sam_G21 wrote:
should someone be interested in starting this wouldnt it be better to setup classifieds using real classified software? Or are forums more acceptable and comfortable?

Anyone interested in something like this pm or email me. I do this crap for a living and am investigating software etc

classified software ....does it exist? I'll look into that.

I've already looked into using this same forum software being used here along with their hosting.

The forum will look very simular and will work the same way....it just needs to be a forum for posting firearms-for-sale, not chit-chat and discussion.

I'll do it if there arent any legal issues or other problems with me doing so...I'm not aware of any.

But I'm sure I'll need some disclaimers on there to protect myself incase someone does something stupid ----- thats where I'll need some good suggestions !!

ORCGUY

imported post

trx680 wrote:
I started a new post about a trail version forum for BUYING/SELLING/TRADING firearms here in the Comonwealth.

http://freetrial.mywowbb.com/heres the site

Love IT! Just need people to get it going. I hate other sites, where what I want is on the other side of the earth...

Thanks for putting this up, hopefully it will get going.

ORCGUY

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Not trying to step on anyone's toes, but I've been planning a site similar to what's being described for a little while now. I've got a domain and site up and running, but it's not quite ready for general consumption.

The end result will be a site that you can sign up on and input your zip code, and then you get a customized view of all FTF sales within a configurable number of miles (once other users post items for sale).

I'll hold off on providing a link as it's not quite ready yet. I'd be done with it already, but I'm a .NET developer and I'm doing this in PHP so it's taking longer than I had planned. Anywho, if anyone is interested in testing in a week or three, PM or email me and I'll forward you the link when I'm ready for testing. Sam_G21, you know PHP?

VaGunTrader

imported post

bnkrazy wrote:
Not trying to step on anyone's toes, but I've been planning a site similar to what's being described for a little while now. I've got a domain and site up and running, but it's not quite ready for general consumption.

The end result will be a site that you can sign up on and input your zip code, and then you get a customized view of all FTF sales within a configurable number of miles (once other users post items for sale).

I'll hold off on providing a link as it's not quite ready yet. I'd be done with it already, but I'm a .NET developer and I'm doing this in PHP so it's taking longer than I had planned. Anywho, if anyone is interested in testing in a week or three, PM or email me and I'll forward you the link when I'm ready for testing. Sam_G21, you know PHP?
is this a nationwide website?

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The domain lends itself to national use, as it is not a VA specific domain. I purchased it a while ago.

On signup, you enter your state and zip, and the plan is to have search options based on those fields. Also, when you add an item, it will ask for the item zip location (thinking ahead for non-firearms items as the domain isn't necessarily tied to firearms only items) so you can live in one part of the state and let people know they will need to pickthis particular itemup at a different area.

I had planned on just posting a link on THR to get the word out when it's ready, but a VA pilot firstto work out any kinks would be great if you're interested.