• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A little clarification please

Mojo

imported post

I recently received the following info in an email from my neighborhood group. Something about this doesn't sound right to me, but if anyone has any input I would greatly appreciate it.

"One of the folks in the neighborhood said that she had some Hispanic guy knock on her door last weekend and she went to the door with a gun in her hand but hanging at her side. Folks, for those of you who have armed themselves because of the recent series of burglaries, please talk to someone about those types of over actions. Believe it or not, IT'S AGAINST THE LAW. You cannot take a weapon to the door even if you don't point it at someone. Having it in your hand is a form of intimidation and it's not allowed.... A few years ago, there was a news item about a breakin where the homeowner used a weapon in self defense and shot the intruder in the knee. The intruder later sued and won a substantial judgmentincourt. The homeowner had violated the law.... Remember, if you have a weapon and you carry it to the door so that the visitor can see it (your way of showing that you're armed), you may be breaking the law."

OK, so the parts of the text I left out were not pertinent to what is confusing me. Is what this person says true? Can I NOT go to the door with my gun in my hand hanging at my side? Did someone really lose a case in court for shooting an intruder in the knee? Am I violating the law if I carry a weapon to the door so a visitor can see it??

Thanks for any input, this sounds fishy to me.

edit: I live in the middle of Tucson, by the way, if that makes any difference.

Armed4Life

imported post

Whenever a gun in in a hand instead of a holster, brandishing is a concern. Better to wear your gun holstered when you answer the door to avoid any misunderstandings.

TOF

imported post

I consider it wise to have a gun close at hand either holstered or on a shelf within easy reach when addressing a stranger at my door. Idealy on my person.

The day's of leaving your screen door unlocked are long gone also. If you don't have one talk through the door till you know who is present.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I think you're letter writer is fulla crap. In your own home you can do whatever you want.'Had an attempted knock 'n rob in Tucson 'couple weeks back... 'n the U 0f A student in the rental property killed both of 'em on the spot. One of the intruders had a gun in hand already. This is just more propaganda for the sheep. I figure that student answered the door with gun in hand or on his hip... 'News weenies didn't say... 'n the news here is generally clueless about things such as that anyway.

Somebody 'cite' the statute to the contrary 'n I'll recant this statement.

me812

imported post

Armed4Life wrote:
Whenever a gun in in a hand instead of a holster, brandishing is a concern. Better to wear your gun holstered when you answer the door to avoid any misunderstandings.
Either that or hold it in your hand behind your back so that they can't see it.

Nick603

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
I think you're letter writer is fulla crap. In your own home you can do whatever you want.'Had an attempted knock 'n rob in Tucson 'couple weeks back... 'n the U 0f A student in the rental property killed both of 'em on the spot. One of the intruders had a gun in hand already. This is just more propaganda for the sheep. I figure that student answered the door with gun in hand or on his hip... 'News weenies didn't say... 'n the news here is generally clueless about things such as that anyway.

Somebody 'cite' the statute to the contrary 'n I'll recant this statement.

I totally agree with Sonora Rebel...the "LAW" states that you may carry or even conceal (without a CCW permit)..in your own home, property, farm.

In your home / apt..you can have the weapon in your hand when you answer the door...just don't point it at anyone unless you intend to use it, or cross the threshold brandishing it.

And i too heard that story about the U of A student. He's a Marine reservist, and two mex guys..armed... came to his door, and tried to force their way in. He managed to get the door closed and deadbolted...ran to his bedroom and got his gun....the armed intruders were trying to force the door open....he positioned himself, and then they kicked the door in, and he fired 6 rounds...4 of them hitting the two intruders. One BG fell inward and the other fell outward of the doorway...both dead. He was told that it was a justifiable shooting. I know all these details 'cause someone i know is very good friends with a lot of LEO's in Tucson.

freesignal

imported post

First off, I believe that is liberal BS. Whenever I see anyone at my door through the peephole that I don't recognize, the .40 is in my hand when I answer. I DO usually keep it in my hand, behind my back tho'. Also, I'm surprised I didn't hear about that UA shooting. I usually catch wind of that sorta stuff.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Mojo wrote:
Can I NOT go to the door with my gun in my hand hanging at my side? Did someone really lose a case in court for shooting an intruder in the knee? Am I violating the law if I carry a weapon to the door so a visitor can see it??
While I do no know the law in Arizona, this sounds like garbage to me. Like others have said... It is your house, do what you want. Just remember the basic firearmsafety rules. You should educate yourself on Arizona law concerning the matter, and then reply to you neighborhood group informing them of their rights as homeowners.

As far as the shooting in the knee cour case thing? It could very well be real. If you are going to use a firearm to defend yourself, the knee is the last place you want to aim for. If you want to stop the threat, aim center mass.

r6-rider

imported post

lol yes total BS

1. it is perfectly fine to answer your door with a holstered sidearm (i wouldnt recommend having it in your hand though)

2. good luck even finding someone in AZ who cares whether or not you have a gun (especially in your own home)

just the other day i had a package delivered to my house, since i didnt have a holster on at the time i just put my pistol in my waistband. sure enough i answer the door, sign for the package, and the ups guy just double glances and laughs then says have a good day.

Anubis

imported post

Just place a paper bag over the held firearm, like Dan Aykroyd's character in the movie "Grosse Point Blank". :) It's concealed but ready to go.

protector84

imported post

First off, I believe that is liberal BS. Whenever I see anyone at my door through the peephole that I don't recognize, the .40 is in my hand when I answer.

I would use common sense but also avoid being paranoid at the same time. If someone is at my door who I don't know I probably won't answer it anyway. If I do answer it, I will holster the gun but keep it concealed. I believe open carry is good when in public because you are encounteringa random mix of people and it is a good crime deterrant. However, I like to be laid back where I live and don't want to be "in your face" so to speak with the neighbors, etc. If the person at the door becomesa problem, he will be asked to leave and if he doesn't, I will make the gun visible.

I don't think it is a good idea to try to alarm every person that might knock on your door. I'm all for open carry and I do it as much as I can but it seems a bit paranoid to me to be answering your door with a gun openly displayed on your hipand even worse if it is in your hand. I have accidently knocked on the wrong person's door before when going to see an old friend I haven't seen for awhile and I would not consider it a very welcoming or friendly gesture if the person who opened it had a gun onhis hip and worse if it was inhis hand just because a stranger happened to knock onhis door. Some people have mentioned here that they have a holstered gun on them at all times in the house. If you need a gun on your hip while sitting on the couch and watching TV you either have serious security problems or are a real paranoid person. It is common sense to always be prepared for emergencies by having the appropriate tools handy but treating every stranger you come across as a potential burgular/robber/axe murderer is ridiculous. Some people even sleep with guns under their pillows. I carry a lot of tools when out in public for a good reason but inside your own home? C'mon. This isn't Iraq.

freesignal

imported post

As I stated I DO have it in my hand but it IS concealed behind me. First, it's very rare anyone knocks on my door, let alone a stranger anyway, and in these instances I would say they're none the wiser. Also, when I answer the door for even the pizza guy, I don't open the door anymore than necessary. So, if it's one of the times I do have my pistol in my hand, the door is opened in such a way that they usually can't see either of my hands, let alone the one with the gun. Call me paranoid, but that's my modus operandi.

Home invasions are more and more common in this town and in this country. So, to each their own.

Also, my friend's dad is one of those people you mentioned, I think the only time he doesn't wear his gun belt (at home or otherwise) is when he's droppin' a deuce. :lol:

protector84

imported post

I agree that crime is becoming more of a concern especially as the economy worsens. However, I try to balance safety with enjoyment. You have to live life in an enjoyable manner but be sensible at the same time. On one hand you don't want to be a zombie completely oblivious to your surroundings unable to do anything if attacked but on the other hand you don't want to go through life sizing up every stranger as someone you might have to shoot today.

Everyone can feel free to do what they wish but having a gun in your hand when answering the door seems like going through life being scared to me. The same goes with wearing a gun all the time inside your house. If you can't wash dishes or cook dinner without a gun on your hip, I'm sorry but something is wrong. I also couldn't imagine a woman thinking it is romantic if you have to have a gun within arm's reach while having sex. Guns are excellent tools for protection but I think some people become obsessed with them.

LcCPL fatherdeath

imported post

i have a question i oc my beretta all the time but 80 % i also have my 3/4kabar concealed on my left side under my shirt in my trousers

im 18 and a us marine

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Do they teach Marines where to find the shift key and the period? Sorry, I meant dot, not period. :p

By the way, just kidding! From a Soldier to a Marine, thank you for your service!

What were you going to ask about your Beretta and KaBar? I would like to compliment my Glock with a nice dagger.

TOF

imported post

LcCPL fatherdeath wrote:
sorry its not clear

is it legit to carry a concealed knife with an oc pistol

It depends on length. A knife is a weapon by Arizona Law and I believecomes under the CCW definition.

You should be able to find a definitive answer at the following link.

At 18 you will not be allowed a concealed carry permitso you need to be very clear on Arizona open carry law. I always prefer to get my legal info from the source.

http://ccw.azdps.gov/default.asp

LcCPL fatherdeath

imported post

It only talks about firearms so if they dont prohibit it then Im good....

I know cali they have laws against carrying a knife and what Ive heard they categorize just about every knife illegal un less so-n-so has a ccw