Thread: Open Carry in restaurants that sell alcohol?

NEAR Chapel Hill/Durham, North Carolina, USA

Post imported post

I have my NC concealed carry permit, and certainly I understand that it is illegal to carry concealed where alcohol is bought and consumed.

But, can I legally Open Carry in these restaurants?

Post imported post

NO.

State Researcher

Post imported post

BRobb19 wrote:
    I have my NC concealed carry permit, and certainly I understand that it is illegal to carry concealed where alcohol is bought and consumed.

But, can I legally Open Carry in these restaurants?
    No, in this case the law does not specify mode of carry. Rather, it simply prohibits the possession of any firearm in places where alcohol is sold and consumed.

Post imported post

then how do people get together for such often OC Dinners at restaurants where alcohol is bought and consumed?

Post imported post

they dont go there or they leave the guns in the car

Opt-Out Members

Post imported post

§ 14‑269.3. Carrying weapons into assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed.

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry any gun, rifle, or pistol into any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission thereto, or into any establishment in which alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

(b) This section shall not apply to the following:

(1) A person exempted from the provisions of G.S. 14‑269;

(2) The owner or lessee of the premises or business establishment;

(3) A person participating in the event, if he is carrying a gun, rifle, or pistol with the permission of the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event; and

(4) A person registered or hired as a security guard by the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event. (1977, c. 1016, s. 1; 1981, c. 412, s. 4, c. 747, s. 66; 1993, c. 539, s. 165; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)

Post imported post

dubccat51 wrote:

§ 14‑269.3. Carrying weapons into assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed.

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry any gun, rifle, or pistol into any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission thereto, or into any establishment in which alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

(b) This section shall not apply to the following:

(1) A person exempted from the provisions of G.S. 14‑269;

(2) The owner or lessee of the premises or business establishment;

(3) A person participating in the event, if he is carrying a gun, rifle, or pistol with the permission of the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event; and

(4) A person registered or hired as a security guard by the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event. (1977, c. 1016, s. 1; 1981, c. 412, s. 4, c. 747, s. 66; 1993, c. 539, s. 165; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)
    Hi which website did you get this from?
    Thanks.

Post imported post

They don't get together in places that serve alcohol, they get together in places that doesn't serve it. Hopefully, we can get this law changed. To be honest, its very hard to carry (open or concealed) for a whole day without going somewhere its not allowed at :-(

Opt-Out Members

Post imported post

Straight from the horse's mouth, the only place to get information on general statutes from:

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/gascript...StatutesTOC.pl

All of the firearms laws are in Chapter 14 - Criminal Law except for Chapters 153A - Counties and 160A - Cities and Towns allow counties and cities to regulate the display of firearms in public areas.