Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BBQ in Traverse CIty MI

Post imported post

I would like to host a OC BBQ in Traverse City on December 6th at 2pm. I just opened The Discerning Shootist, a retail store with self defense/concealed carry as its main focus. I am providing the food, but any help with reachihng out to people would be greatly appreciated. Please RSVP.
    The BBQ will be held at my store, I have lots of room, and it is a family friendly atmosphere.
    I am located at 721 Woodmere Ave, Traverse CIty,49686.
    My number is 231.932.1559.

PS I am new to OC.org, as well as blogging, please be gentle.

Post imported post

You said your store is focused on concealed carry, but since you posted this here, I assume open carry is welcome?

Post imported post

discerningshootist wrote:
    I would like to host a OC BBQ in Traverse City on December 6th at 2pm. I just opened The Discerning Shootist, a retail store with self defense/concealed carry as its main focus. I am providing the food, but any help with reachihng out to people would be greatly appreciated. Please RSVP.
    The BBQ will be held at my store, I have lots of room, and it is a family friendly atmosphere.
    I am located at 721 Woodmere Ave, Traverse CIty,49686.
    My number is 231.932.1559.

PS I am new to OC.org, as well as blogging, please be gentle.
    Welcome to OCDO Shootist.

I will create an OC Event in the Michigan Event Schedule Thread if you like.

Link: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/15478.html

This would be a great opportunity to spread the word on OC. If I remember correctly (IIRC), Venator was hoping to have an OC event in TC. However, as much as I appreciate the offer, I would not be able to attend. For me, it's a 400 mile, 7 hour round trip...A bit much for me.

Stay tuned, other MOC (Michigan Open Carry) members will be chiming in soon.

Again, welcome.

Post imported post

Open carry is welcomed, and encouraged. SpringerXDacp, thanks for the help.

Post imported post

Open carry is welcomed, and encouraged. SpringerXDacp, thanks for the h
    Shootist, would you like to be the MOC Host of this event or would you like someone else to assume this position?

Post imported post

Open carry is welcomed, and encouraged. SpringerXDacp, thanks for the help.
    Awesome. I'm already making plans to visit some family in TC while I'm up there. Hopefully there isn't much snow at that point. Count me in as "depends on the weather"

Post imported post

Well, I'm pretty new to the OC, but I think I could handle it. We'll probably have snow, but hopefully it won't be snowing.

Post imported post

Well, I'm pretty new to the OC, but I think I could handle it.
    Since it's at your place, it should be easy for ya

Post imported post

No worries. Any hints on notifying local LE?

Post imported post

Well, either don't at all, or INVITE them to the BBQ. They do not need to be "notified."

Post imported post

Invite them if you wish but no need to notify. Have you contacted your local newspaper/radio/tv/etc about the grand opening? They are the ones to contact for this (Grand Opening & OC Event).

Post imported post

No. Announcements in progress. Planning on inviting local LE to Grand Opening anyway.

Post imported post

Im not far from you, and would like to attend. Do you sell firearms allso? or is it just firearm accessories?
    " My hat don't hang on the same nail too long, My ears can't stand to hear the same old song, I don't leave the highway long enough to bog down in the mud, i've got ramblin feaver in my blood " ..... Merle Haggard

Post imported post

Do you have a store web site, as us pro people like to support other pro people

Post imported post

ramblinfeaver wrote:
    Im not far from you, and would like to attend. Do you sell firearms allso? or is it just firearm accessories?
    Just firearm accessories at this time.

Post imported post

mastiff69 wrote:
    Do you have a store web site, as us pro people like to support other pro people
    I'm working out the bugs as we speak. I'll let you know.

Post imported post

This is excellent news. But (always a but) I will be out of state on 06 December. Hopefully the next event fits my calendar.

I will definitely check out your new business.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

I can help out. I have a power point talk if you can get a projector for a computer that I would be happy to give. I can also have so brochures and maybe some MOC buttons (If they are done). I can also help with any media or press releases. PM me if you would like help.

PS, Springer put me down as an attendee.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Post imported post

Also remembered my brother knows some TC radio talk show hosts and I can do a interview on OC. I was going to save the interview for the summer meeting I'm planning, but I can do it for this event.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Post imported post

Venator wrote:
    I can help out. I have a power point talk if you can get a projector for a computer that I would be happy to give. I can also have so brochures and maybe some MOC buttons (If they are done). I can also help with any media or press releases. PM me if you would like help.

Sounds good. I didn't plan on any presentations, but I like it! I will see if I can beg/borrow a projector. I know nothing about it, what do I need to look for in a projector?

Post imported post

Venator wrote:
    Also remembered my brother knows some TC radio talk show hosts and I can do a interview on OC. I was going to save the interview for the summer meeting I'm planning, but I can do it for this event.
    I like that idea, too. Let's do it!

Post imported post

Venator wrote:

Sounds good. I didn't plan on any presentations, but I like it! I will see if I can beg/borrow a projector. I know nothing about it, what do I need to look for in a projector?
    Pretty much any projector that you can hook to a laptop. Probably preferably with just standard VGA video input (just like a computer monitor).

Post imported post

I talked with the owner of the Discerning Shootist last night. We decided that we would not have an “official” presentation on OC, due to the size of his store and lack of seating available. We did discuss plans to have his store host an OC presentation in a larger facility at a later date. The owner is a CPL instructor and is new to the idea of OC and still has questions about it. I hope that after the 6th many of his questions and concerns will be appeased.

I do encourage anyone from the area that wants to learn more about OC in Michigan to stop in on December 6th. I and others will be on hand to answer questions.

The owner likes to carry local and statewide manufactured items like holsters, belts, etc. If you know any businesses or individuals that manufacture shooting supplies and are located in Michigan please PM him with details.

What: Grand Opening and Open carry BBQ

Where: Discerning Shootist: a self defense retail store.# 231.932.1559
    721 Woodmere Ave. Traverse City, MI

When: Saturday December 6th at 2:00 PM

Why: To showcase the opening of The Discerning Shootist and promote open carry.

Food and beverages will be provided by the Discerning Shootist store. Open carry is encouraged. MOC RTMs will be on hand to answer questions on open carry and have informational brochures to hand out and Guns Save Lives buttons for sale. Anyone inf the Traverse City area that is interested in OC is encouraged to attend.

(Springer can you post this in the events thread?)

Post imported post

Venator wrote:
    SNIP
    (Springer can you post this in the events thread?)
    Done and sent you a PM.

Post imported post

Members please Post, PM or Email me to Confirm or Possible Attendance for the Traverse City BBQ, December 6, 2008. This event is less than two weeks away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast