• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

BBQ in Traverse CIty MI

SQLtables

imported post

discerningshootist wrote:
Venator wrote:
I can help out. I have a power point talk if you can get a projector for a computer that I would be happy to give. I can also have so brochures and maybe some MOC buttons (If they are done). I can also help with any media or press releases. PM me if you would like help.

PS, Springer put me down as an attendee.
Sounds good. I didn't plan on any presentations, but I like it! I will see if I can beg/borrow a projector. I know nothing about it, what do I need to look for in a projector?
Pretty much any projector that you can hook to a laptop. Probably preferably with just standard VGA video input (just like a computer monitor).

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

I talked with the owner of the Discerning Shootist last night. We decided that we would not have an “official” presentation on OC, due to the size of his store and lack of seating available. We did discuss plans to have his store host an OC presentation in a larger facility at a later date. The owner is a CPL instructor and is new to the idea of OC and still has questions about it. I hope that after the 6[suP]th[/suP] many of his questions and concerns will be appeased.

I do encourage anyone from the area that wants to learn more about OC in Michigan to stop in on December 6th. I and others will be on hand to answer questions.

The owner likes to carry local and statewide manufactured items like holsters, belts, etc. If you know any businesses or individuals that manufacture shooting supplies and are located in Michigan please PM him with details.

What: Grand Opening and Open carry BBQ

Where: Discerning Shootist: a self defense retail store.# 231.932.1559
721 Woodmere Ave. Traverse City, MI

When: Saturday December 6[suP]th[/suP] at 2:00 PM

Why: To showcase the opening of The Discerning Shootist and promote open carry.

Food and beverages will be provided by the Discerning Shootist store. Open carry is encouraged. MOC RTMs will be on hand to answer questions on open carry and have informational brochures to hand out and Guns Save Lives buttons for sale. Anyone inf the Traverse City area that is interested in OC is encouraged to attend.

(Springer can you post this in the events thread?)

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Members please Post, PM or Email me to Confirm or Possible Attendance for the Traverse City BBQ, December 6, 2008. This event is less than two weeks away.

Venator

imported post

I'm doing a radio interview on WTCM radio in Traverse City at 10:45 AM on Wednesday (Nov. 26th). I'm calling in to a conservative call in talk show and will be promoting OC and the get-together on Dec. 6th. The Host is Norm Jones on WTCM 580 AM the site is here http://www.wtcmradio.com/and you might be able to listen on-line. I hope I don't screw up too bad.

Call in number is 800-817-0580

Venator

imported post

I just sent a press release to the TC Record Eagle. Hopefully they will print it.

UPDATE: Channel 7&4 has it on their website as a community event. A good Start.

Venator

imported post

SQLtables wrote:
Looks like a bit of snow is headed for TC tomorrow, but not too much. I read an inch or so, not enough to stop me, so count me in.
Great, I plan on driving up tomorrow afternoon. Hope to see you there on Saturday.

SQLtables

imported post

Venator wrote:
SQLtables wrote:
Looks like a bit of snow is headed for TC tomorrow, but not too much. I read an inch or so, not enough to stop me, so count me in.
Great, I plan on driving up tomorrow afternoon. Hope to see you there on Saturday.
Yup, I'm heading up tomorrow night and plan to catch my cousins band play at a bar in Kalkaska. Then off to TC, probably to his place.

Venator

imported post

Looks like snow is a coming. I really don't like snow. If I don't get killed on the way up I plan on being at the BBQ this Saturday. I hope those in the TC area will show up and bring a friend that's also interested in the legality of OC.

Look for this banner on the outside of the store.

discerningshootist

imported post

I would like to thank Venator and all those who showed up yesterday to The Discerning Shootist in Traverse City. A good time was had, and I feel that due to the weather we had a relatively good turn out.
Again my many thanks and I hope to see you all again soon.Let's get that projector so we are not at the mercy of renting one.

Venator

imported post

Well, here is the skinny on the TC grand opening. The weather was nasty with snow and wind making the chill factor about 5 degrees. Despite the weather I would guess we had 50-70 people stop by during the two hours we were there. Scott (Owner) had some good burgers and dogs with all the trimmings available to ward off the cold. I meet some nice people and tried to answer all their questions on OC. Most were positive with it but a few stated they would never do it. We’ve heard that before and many times they change their minds and OC a little. Baby steps.

Met the owner of Roy’s General store in TC. He said OC is welcome in his store anytime. So for those in TC check out his place, Roy's General Store at 963 Hammond Rd E, its got a bit of everything. Hisname is Ted Hentschel anda CPL instructor as well. The store's number is 231-946-5633.

I want to thank Nate and Christy for coming up and braving the weather, although they had ulterior motives, they had friends playing in a band in Kalkaska. I took them both on a little tour of TC (Couldn’t see much, with the snow and wind.), but I think they enjoyed it. They saw one of the largest Victorian era houses in the area, along with the former State Hospital buildings, which are being converted into shops and condos. BTW Christy those building were built in 1858, older than I thought. We had a nice coffee in a preppy little shop and Nate wrote what happened in the experience thread.

And I want to thank Scott Sieffert for hosting the event, I hope your store is a great success and let’s do something on OC in the spring. Scott is also a CPL instructor and owner of WSR Tactical and can be reached at 231.932.1559

Venator

imported post

Here are a couple of photos of the TC event. SQLTABLES and much better half. Store front.

Sorry there are not more photos, I was busy and I forgot to take more.