• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Armed man shot at Tysons II by police

hsmith

imported post

swatpro911 wrote:
Officer who shot the individual does show lack of patience and skill behind his or her duty. Just because someone makes a normal hand movement towards their gun does not mean they are going to shoot you. When you can see the gun clearly visible from distance. If he was reaching inside his shirt or pocket after told to not reach then it becomes different situation. Anyway i though this was stupid from the part of the officers that are involved. :(
I have to disagree.

For one, none of us were there.

Two, this guy wasn't going back to shop. He clearly retrieved his firearm for reasons OTHER than self defense as the accounts state.

If you had a verbal altercation with someone and they went out to their car to retrieve their firearm, what do you think THEIR intentions would be?

Devils Advocate

imported post

hsmith wrote:
swatpro911 wrote:
Officer who shot the individual does show lack of patience and skill behind his or her duty. Just because someone makes a normal hand movement towards their gun does not mean they are going to shoot you. When you can see the gun clearly visible from distance. If he was reaching inside his shirt or pocket after told to not reach then it becomes different situation. Anyway i though this was stupid from the part of the officers that are involved. :(
I have to disagree.

For one, none of us were there.

Two, this guy wasn't going back to shop. He clearly retrieved his firearm for reasons OTHER than self defense as the accounts state.

If you had a verbal altercation with someone and they went out to their car to retrieve their firearm, what do you think THEIR intentions would be?
I agree with you here. I can draw my gun in a fraction of a second. You will have little time to react and by the time you do I am probably going to be shooting in your direction.

I know that if I am up against some other citizen with a gun and he is reaching for it I am not going to give him a chance to shoot me first.

TFred

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Devils Advocate wrote:
So they shot him just for being armed and not obeying them? Unreal!
No, it sounds from the news reports that he refused their commands AND made a movement towards the gun in his waistband.
Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking as well.... "not obeying" a "don't reach for your gun" command will get you shot every day of the week, and probably twice on a Friday... :?

TFred

swatpro911

imported post

I do profiling and based on my opinion I think someone who could have shot the armed person is kind of trigger happy. He was shot once. According to training cops usually shoot twice. Once is most likely accidental discharge.

mkl

imported post

swatpro911 wrote:
I do profiling and based on my opinion I think someone who could have shot the armed person is kind of trigger happy. He was shot once. According to training cops usually shoot twice. Once is most likely accidental discharge.

You do profiling now too?

ODA 226

imported post

swatpro911 wrote:
Obviously you've been shot at before and have real-life experience facing armed men.

Devils Advocate

imported post

swatpro911 wrote:
I am not sure what you mean by "profiling" here.

Shooting someone who is armed and refusing to keep his hands away from a gun is not being trigger happy. As I open carry I am not going togive some guy any more opportunity to draw down on me than I have to.

The police are obviously in a different position than the rest of us where you know who they are if in a full uniform. It is common knowledge that if you do not "freeze" you can be shot.

I am not clear how training applies here if the police "usually" shoot twice. I shoot at the range oftenand I do double taps all the time, This does not demand that I shoot twice at a threat. I will shoot until I the threat has ceased to be a threat to me.

Accidental discharge? I doubt it. If it was it was perfect timing since the guy refused to stop moving when told.

I am curious. You know about police procedures and have swat in your name. Are you a member of a SWAT team or do training in SWAT?

nitrovic

imported post

swatpro911 wrote:

It is apparent you have never been in a "shoot, don't shoot" situation. The officer can't allow the guy to draw his gun. Action is quicker than reaction. Get some real training and maybe it will change your mind. Maybe your name should be "wannabe swatpro911"?:lol:

nitrovic

imported post

swatpro911 wrote:

Wrong again. Your opinion appears to be based off of ignorance. "Profiling" is a lot different than actually doing police work/military work and being in these situations. Put down the book and pick up a gun "swatpro".

swatpro911

imported post

On Tuesday, November 18, Dean Martinez, 34, of 25901 Kings Valley Road in Damascus, Maryland, was charged with carrying a concealed weapon, carrying a concealed weapon into an establishment that serves alcohol and brandishing a firearm. Martinez remains hospitalized for treatment of his injuries

swatpro911

imported post

Devils Advocate wrote:
swatpro911 wrote:

Shooting someone who is armed and refusing to keep his hands away from a gun is not being trigger happy. As I open carry I am not going togive some guy any more opportunity to draw down on me than I have to.

The police are obviously in a different position than the rest of us where you know who they are if in a full uniform. It is common knowledge that if you do not "freeze" you can be shot.

I am not clear how training applies here if the police "usually" shoot twice. I shoot at the range oftenand I do double taps all the time, This does not demand that I shoot twice at a threat. I will shoot until I the threat has ceased to be a threat to me.

Accidental discharge? I doubt it. If it was it was perfect timing since the guy refused to stop moving when told.

I am curious. You know about police procedures and have swat in your name. Are you a member of a SWAT team or do training in SWAT?
Certain jurisdiction has its own procedure and follow ups. Profiling from my point of view is when you can profile someone based on gesture, movement, capability and mood that the person is in etc to determine his action that he or she may take. A guy with a coffe in his hand with a gun on his hip running towards me, I will not be drawing my weapon but i would put my hand on top of my weapon just incase he acts up. Some other officers would do different things. I am part of elite where we go through drills, stress drills etc. Swat pro 911 means someone who is in trained in special weapons and tactics and he is kinda good at it and only time u see him is when 911 rings. :)

swatpro911

imported post

FCPD firearms training qualification is to get alteast 75% to pass and maintain. Officers are required to qualify every year. I train 15 hours a month that's enough for me but some other expert said thats not even close to maintain high skill level. Thanks to Chuck who was a navy seal and taught various agencies worldwide. :)

nitrovic

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Name game 'chuck' balancing balls on his nose?

I must say Doug, you actually got me to chuckle on that one. I never knew there was a sense of humor in that brain of yours.

nitrovic

imported post

Devils Advocate wrote:
swatpro911 wrote:

Shooting someone who is armed and refusing to keep his hands away from a gun is not being trigger happy. As I open carry I am not going to give some guy any more opportunity to draw down on me than I have to.

I am not clear how training applies here if the police "usually" shoot twice. I shoot at the range often and I do double taps all the time, This does not demand that I shoot twice at a threat. I will shoot until I the threat has ceased to be a threat to me.

Agreed. Very well said.

On the last part there is NO way that guy is a SWAT team member with FFX (or any other jurisdiction in NOVA for that matter). He has NO clue what he is talking about.

nitrovic

imported post

swatpro911 wrote:
FCPD firearms training qualification is to get alteast 75% to pass and maintain. Officers are required to qualify every year. I train 15 hours a month that's enough for me but some other expert said thats not even close to maintain high skill level. Thanks to Chuck who was a navy seal and taught various agencies worldwide. :)

:uhoh:

nitrovic

imported post

swatpro911 wrote:
On Tuesday, November 18, Dean Martinez, 34, of 25901 Kings Valley Road in Damascus, Maryland, was charged with carrying a concealed weapon, carrying a concealed weapon into an establishment that serves alcohol and brandishing a firearm. Martinez remains hospitalized for treatment of his injuries

Disregard, not even worth my time