• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

have you ever been approached by a police officer while you were open carrying?

partemisio

imported post

No. But I made it a point to buy a drink at a gogas since there was a leo there fueling up. I walked right by him and he didn't notice. Then when I was walking back to the car he looked right at it and didn't say anything or even give it a second look.

no carry permit ?

imported post

Not since moving to North Carolina, and I have carried in Chapel Hill, Durham, Highpoint, Greensboro , Fayettnam, Raleigh and Caryconstantly. I once bumped into the Wake County sheriff (nice guy by the way) while carrying, we just made some smalltalk. In fact I'm in a all night restaurant right now and two cops are in here. Earlier tonight I was looking for somethingin my vehicle while parkedin a dark end ofashopping center. A officer drove by obviously saw I was carrying and just waved. OPEN carryhasnever been a problem for me in NC !

It shouldn't be a problem for anyone, it's 100% legal. In December we are planning a open carry dinnerin Cary(so it has been discussed) . All those that swear open carry in Cary will get you arrested are welcome to join us unarmed and watch us eat.

1) State preemption- Local governments can't regulate firearms except on their property (City Hall for example) and discharge of firearms. Chapel Hill did pass an ordinance establishing that an easily concealed firearm can't be openly carried, LOL. It was upheld, but their earlier attempt to ban open carry was killed by the courts.

2) There are two N.C. Supreme court rulings affirming the right to open carry a firearm.

Additionally I would say that the law enforcement officers that I have encountered while carrying were quite polite and professional. Nice group of folks. I have encountered a couple of guys with concealed carry licences that felt duty bound to confront my illegal method of carry. There is a couple of instructors in the Raleigh area that are teaching open carry is illegal.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Oooh I was approached because of my gun once, but it wasn't because I was carrying openly, per se. The problem they had was that they wanted to keep me from going into the park for the 4th of July fireworks. There was a whole fuss about different laws, but no one ever actually had a problem with the way I was carrying...just the fact that I was, period.

Other than that unfortunate incident, I've had a couple other random conversations with law enforcement while carrying openly, but have never had any negative encounters. One State officer, who had pulled up behind me while I was changing a flat tire, did ask why I carried. I just told him I saw no reason not to. The option was at my disposal, and it allowed me to be more prepared for life's surprises. He smiled and said he just liked to ask peoplein order tohear their answers, and that he respected my right to carry and thought it was fine.

I've heard of a few less than pleasant encounters with leo's down in the Jacksonville area. I'm actually going down there in a few hours, so maybe I'll have another story for you when I get back. :celebrate

ItsMyRight2Carry

imported post

I will definitely attend the Cary meeting! I OC in Cary every day.

As for the original question, I was carrying in Concord this weekend, around the University area. As I was pumping gas, an LEO pulled up to get gas also. As I was walking inside, I made sure I walked right by him, and he never said anything.

After I was done buying what I needed to buy, I walked back out, passing him, on my way to my car. He looked down at my side, and looked back straight ahead, and never said a word...

dubccat51

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Twice, both times by NC Wildlife officers while I was hunting.

The first time I was checked while hunting geese. I was a newbie and had only had my XD45 for a month. I turned to make sure that the officer saw the pistol and he only asked me if the gun was a Springfield.

The second time I was dove hunting at the dove fields in Leicester, NC and the officer made sure that I was only carrying a .22 per gameland regulations. He just asked me if I had a "Little Walther"

no carry permit ?

imported post

acritical wrote:
So where in Cary is this Open Carry event and what day and time. I may be interested in joining and meeting some fellow carriers.
We haven't decided but are open to suggestions. A dinner at some decent restaurant.

ItsMyRight2Carry

imported post

It's tough to find a decent restaurant that doesn't serve alcohol. I was trying to organize something in Raleigh, but didn't get a good response.

I was thinking of somewhere like Smithfield's or Boston Market, unless you have somewhere else in mind.

no carry permit ?

imported post

ItsMyRight2Carry wrote:
It's tough to find a decent restaurant that doesn't serve alcohol. I was trying to organize something in Raleigh, but didn't get a good response.

I was thinking of somewhere like Smithfield's or Boston Market, unless you have somewhere else in mind.

I think we may just have to find a Bob Evens or something like that in Cary. It's important to have it in Cary. The myth that you will be arrested BLA BLA BLA for carrying in Cary needs to dispelled.

We need a open carry CARY dinner.

Smithfields is great, I don't know if they have one in Cary.

ItsMyRight2Carry

imported post

I agree having it in Cary. I insinuating that we do it somewhere else. There's a Smithfield's close to my house on the corner of Davis Dr and Morrisville-Carpenter Rd. I OC there all the time. That may be Morrisville though. Not sure...

JohnHoliday

imported post

^^

Yeah, thats the one! lol

That is close to me, but I'm willing to travel wherever. (within reason)

Harder part is just finding some time to go.