Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: The Right Ammo

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Canyon Lake, Texas, USA
    Posts
    28

    Post imported post

    Got a Bersa Thunder .380

    Whats the right ammo for it for the purpose of Concealed Carry and If I had to use it one day.

    Im feeding it the Winchester .380 (flat tip nose, 91 Grain) from Wal Mart and it likes it. Eats it right up with no issues. Box says target/range. Is this good ammo to be usingif the time comes to use it for it's intended purpose (hopefully it don't, but i want to ensure i got good ammo in the gun vs giving the bad guy a bee sting).

  2. #2
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lobelville, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    2,615

    Post imported post

    Have you tried a JHP (Jacketed Hollow Point) type round in it? I lookedjust on sportsmansguide web site and saw that they have several FMJ and JHP in 95 gr. to choose from. Use the JHP if your pistol will handle it, for defense.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Canyon Lake, Texas, USA
    Posts
    28

    Post imported post

    Task Force 16 wrote:
    Have you tried a JHP (Jacketed Hollow Point) type round in it? I just on sportsmansguide web site and saw that they have several FMJ and JHP in 95 gr. to choose from. Use the JHP if your pistol will handle it, for defense.
    No i havent. Just the round i mentioned above. Thats what im looking for. A solid ammo choice that has been tested to work for the gun. The one i have been using i have put at least 300-400 rounds through it. not one issue. i just want to ensure im using a stopper... not a piss the guy offer. if you know what i mean.

  4. #4
    Campaign Veteran Bookman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
    Posts
    1,424

    Post imported post

    jdv wrote:
    Task Force 16 wrote:
    Have you tried a JHP (Jacketed Hollow Point) type round in it? I just on sportsmansguide web site and saw that they have several FMJ and JHP in 95 gr. to choose from. Use the JHP if your pistol will handle it, for defense.
    No i havent. Just the round i mentioned above. Thats what im looking for. A solid ammo choice that has been tested to work for the gun. The one i have been using i have put at least 300-400 rounds through it. not one issue. i just want to ensure im using a stopper... not a piss the guy offer. if you know what i mean.
    Your answer will depend on your particular pistol. Two pistols of the same make/model can react differently to different ammo. The best thing you can do is to try it out. Buy a box and take it to the range. And don't forget to fire and replace your carry ammo every time you go to the range to prevent any over pressure situations at a critical time. I forget the title, but there's a thread here about that.
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke


    "I like people who stand on the Constitution... unless they're using it to wipe their feet." - Jon E Hutcherson

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Canyon Lake, Texas, USA
    Posts
    28

    Post imported post

    Bookman wrote:
    jdv wrote:
    Task Force 16 wrote:
    Have you tried a JHP (Jacketed Hollow Point) type round in it? I just on sportsmansguide web site and saw that they have several FMJ and JHP in 95 gr. to choose from. Use the JHP if your pistol will handle it, for defense.
    No i havent. Just the round i mentioned above. Thats what im looking for. A solid ammo choice that has been tested to work for the gun. The one i have been using i have put at least 300-400 rounds through it. not one issue. i just want to ensure im using a stopper... not a piss the guy offer. if you know what i mean.
    Your answer will depend on your particular pistol. Two pistols of the same make/model can react differently to different ammo. The best thing you can do is to try it out. Buy a box and take it to the range. And don't forget to fire and replace your carry ammo every time you go to the range to prevent any over pressure situations at a critical time. I forget the title, but there's a thread here about that.
    Can you explain the carry ammo and over pressure for me please. Sorry. But i rather ask, thenmess my weapon over.

  6. #6
    Campaign Veteran Bookman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
    Posts
    1,424

    Post imported post

    jdv, you've got mail!
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke


    "I like people who stand on the Constitution... unless they're using it to wipe their feet." - Jon E Hutcherson

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Posts
    3,806

    Post imported post

    Carry ammo: Ammo you have loaded when you OC or CC.

    Overpressure: Firearms work off pressure from the gunpowder igniting (not exploding, unless you are talking black powder), rounds that are repeatedly chambered will see their bullets pushed deeper into the brass, which can result in higher pressures, which can lead to case failure and/or gun/user damage.

    See also: Glock KB.


    Basically, if you chamber/unchamber your rounds a lot, one or two of them may get shorter, depending on how many times it is loaded from mag to gun, without being fired.

    In short, if your round looks like the one on the left, and your others look like the one on the right, you have a problem. (This was actually a handloading error, but it servers as a good example)


    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •