• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Right Ammo

jdv

imported post

Got a Bersa Thunder .380

Whats the right ammo for it for the purpose of Concealed Carry and If I had to use it one day.

Im feeding it the Winchester .380 (flat tip nose, 91 Grain) from Wal Mart and it likes it. Eats it right up with no issues. Box says target/range. Is this good ammo to be usingif the time comes to use it for it's intended purpose (hopefully it don't, but i want to ensure i got good ammo in the gun vs giving the bad guy a bee sting).

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Have you tried a JHP (Jacketed Hollow Point) type round in it? I lookedjust on sportsmansguide web site and saw that they have several FMJ and JHP in 95 gr. to choose from. Use the JHP if your pistol will handle it, for defense.

jdv

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
Have you tried a JHP (Jacketed Hollow Point) type round in it? I just on sportsmansguide web site and saw that they have several FMJ and JHP in 95 gr. to choose from. Use the JHP if your pistol will handle it, for defense.
No i havent. Just the round i mentioned above. Thats what im looking for. A solid ammo choice that has been tested to work for the gun. The one i have been using i have put at least 300-400 rounds through it. not one issue. i just want to ensure im using a stopper... not a piss the guy offer. if you know what i mean.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

jdv wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:
Have you tried a JHP (Jacketed Hollow Point) type round in it? I just on sportsmansguide web site and saw that they have several FMJ and JHP in 95 gr. to choose from. Use the JHP if your pistol will handle it, for defense.
No i havent. Just the round i mentioned above. Thats what im looking for. A solid ammo choice that has been tested to work for the gun. The one i have been using i have put at least 300-400 rounds through it. not one issue. i just want to ensure im using a stopper... not a piss the guy offer. if you know what i mean.
Your answer will depend on your particular pistol. Two pistols of the same make/model can react differently to different ammo. The best thing you can do is to try it out. Buy a box and take it to the range. And don't forget to fire and replace your carry ammo every time you go to the range to prevent any over pressure situations at a critical time. I forget the title, but there's a thread here about that.

jdv

imported post

Bookman wrote:
jdv wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:
Your answer will depend on your particular pistol. Two pistols of the same make/model can react differently to different ammo. The best thing you can do is to try it out. Buy a box and take it to the range. And don't forget to fire and replace your carry ammo every time you go to the range to prevent any over pressure situations at a critical time. I forget the title, but there's a thread here about that.
Can you explain the carry ammo and over pressure for me please. Sorry. But i rather ask, thenmess my weapon over.

AbNo

imported post

Carry ammo: Ammo you have loaded when you OC or CC.

Overpressure: Firearms work off pressure from the gunpowder igniting (not exploding, unless you are talking black powder), rounds that are repeatedly chambered will see their bullets pushed deeper into the brass, which can result in higher pressures, which can lead to case failure and/or gun/user damage.

See also: Glock KB. :lol:

Basically, if you chamber/unchamber your rounds a lot, one or two of them may get shorter, depending on how many times it is loaded from mag to gun, without being fired.

In short, if your round looks like the one on the left, and your others look like the one on the right, you have a problem. (This was actually a handloading error, but it servers as a good example)