• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

When OC...

PT111

imported post

The point is that if the BG went crazy in Chuck-E-Cheese and started turning the machines over would you get involved? He is bare handed and so are you. How about if the robber had a baseball bat and you did also? The equalization of force is definitely to be considered but if the robber has a gun and you have a gun doesn't require you to get any more involved than if both of you have switchblades. Too many people feel that having a gun makes them something special yet want to be ignored by the public. A gun is a tool and I am not Chuck Norris either but I am also a private citizen, not a LEO.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

The only thing I would worry about with your situation, is a DA facing
re-election might try to get you as an accomplice. So he can appear tuff on crime.

You pulled a gun, and helped the robber to escape. He would probably
argue that the pimply faced cashier was about to make a citizens arrest and stop
the thug. After all he had a brown belt in pant pissing.
Also getting involved before violence escalates with the type of crowd in CC's
is just asking for trouble. Not many places for a stray that won't get someone.
Even overhead is full of kids. And what is outside waiting on the BG?
Could be a gang initiation, and a whole car full will be comming in if he doesn't go out
with the money.

But definately, crouch and if needed get that thumb brake out of the way.

imported post

PT111 wrote:
Yes you have a responsibility but not because you carry a gun but because you are a human being. Carrying a gun give you no more authority than if you don't have one, however it may give you an advantage that you would not because you have a gun instead of a knife. You would not allow you family to be harmed if you didn't have a gun would you? Wouldn't you do everything in your power to protect them? Then why would you say that having a gun gives you more responsibility than not having one. You should do what ever is in your power to help you fellow human being with or without a gun and if you think that you shouldn't help someone because you don't have a gun then join the people in NY that walk over the man lying dying in the street laughing at him.You may be better able to defend someone if you have a gun but not having one doesn't give you an excuse to ignore them. If it does then we are in a very sad state of affairs as a human race and do away with the entire consititution including 2A.

You are so right.

I naturally want to help those I can. If I can I will help others.

I have no responsibility to catch a crook or detain him.

I will not aid a crook and if all things happen in such a way that allow me to stop a crook, with out endangering others, I will do that too.

One more time. I am not a Policeman and I do not intent do pretend I am one.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

You all are taking this further off the track.

I did not ask if I have the authority to do so...I am not a cop and have no intention of being a member of law enforcement.

I am only wondering if I have any duty to protect the money of the business. I already consider it my duty to protect my family, my self and the patrons.

I believe that although you all mean well I have made the determination myself.

imported post

Theseus wrote:
....I am only wondering if I have any duty to protect the money of the business.....

I would say, no duty, But if you can accomplish the task with little or no danger to any innocent, then it would be your choice.

Remember, things are things and they can be replaced, this is not true for people.

cato

imported post

Theseus wrote:
You all are taking this further off the track.

I did not ask if I have the authority to do so...I am not a cop and have no intention of being a member of law enforcement.

I am only wondering if I have any duty to protect the money of the business. I already consider it my duty to protect my family, my self and the patrons.

I believe that although you all mean well I have made the determination myself.

Duty legally? Not at all. Duty morally to protect someones money? Not really, however the individual who is willing commit robbery (armed or not) is the same individual who would also jackthe car away from you wife while the 6 month old is in the back seat.

These people need to be stopped or at least deterred by the citizenry. The government can only do so much after the fact. And if there is no "workable" evidence then nothing is solved by the detectives. Millions of crimes go unsolved every year and that to me means good people must act when the opportunity is such that there is a likelihood of success even with an increased risk to self. This is how and why an armed citizenry contributes to the "security of a free state".

and take as many self defense shooting classes as you can afford. I'm also not big on giving "warnings" to persons engaged in armed felonies. Watch out for his back-up partner too:uhoh:.

demnogis

imported post

In reference to the original situation... An armed assailant, draws in a business full of patrons... That already shows intent of bodily harm or loss of life to others - blatant disregard if you will.

One to two in the center mass.

And the zinger?

You did it "for the children".

OCintheOC

imported post

If you have reasonable suspicion that a felony has been comitted, then as a private citizen you may issue a citizens arrest. Since you are witnessing the felony, then obviously you have reasonable cause. You, as a private citizen, have no legal responsibility to do so if you choose not to just as you have no legal responsibility to give cpr to guy who had a heart attack if you weren't a emt or some other medical professional. You would be authorized to use deadly force under California penal codes 197- which identifies when homicide by any person is justified "when necessarily comitted to apprehend any person for any felony committed and California civil code 847 which is similar to 197 which provides that deadly force may be used when necessary to prevent certain enumerated felonies, one of which being any felony in which the defendant uses a firearm. Deadly force is always authorized if it can be reasonably considerd that yours or someone elses life is in danger. All this being said I would keep out of it as best I could.

not intended as legal advice obviously

poothrowingape

imported post

stevenh512 wrote:

I wouldn't just load and wait it out. If the BG is pointing a gun at anyone, as far as I'm concerned he's putting someone in "imminent danger" of death or great bodily harm. Regardless of what the cops might think (and *especially* since they'd probably do the same thing as I would, or worse, in that situation) to me that justifies drawing my weapon.

I would agree with you. If anything ive learned from handgun safety classes and the DOJarmed guard class its that youdo not everpoint the muzzle of your gun at something you do not want to destroy.

The guy robbing the place is pointing the gun at the clerk, therefore he wants to destroy her.