• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

TGI Friday's / Roanoke, VA

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Lthrnck wrote:
Are there any laws in any states that anyone is aware of that specifically says, the simple act of wearing a badge, wether it be a shield or a star, is impersonating a law enforcement officer?

As far as impersonating, I'm not sure...

I can tell you that Utah prohibits wearing a badge witha CHP permit.

Repeater

imported post

Mike wrote:
thaJack wrote:
I seem to recall some time ago reading about a state law somewhere that said that very thing... if a business did decide to post, or ask you to leave your weapon in your car, then they would be responsible for your safety. I just can't remember where that was... of even if I remember it correctly.
no, no, no, certainly no statute exists, and as far as I know, no case law either. But, in Virginia, businesses do have a common law duty to keep their customers safe - there is a case pending I still think against a Virginia hotel for failing to do enough to deter crime
No, Mike, businesses do NOT (in general) have a common law duty to keep their customers safe. See Wright v. Webb, 234 Va. 527, 362 S.E.2d 919 (Va.,1987), Godfrey v. Boddie-Noell Enterprises, Inc., 843 F.Supp. 114 (E.D.Va.,1994).

However, the case you are referring to is Taboada v. Daly Seven, Inc., 271 Va. 313, 626 S.E.2d 428 (Va.,2006). That's different.

The general rule in Virginia is that there is no common law duty for an owner or occupier of land either to warn or to protect an invitee on his property from the criminal act of a third party. Yuzefovsky, 261 Va. at 106, 540 S.E.2d at 139. "[T]here are narrow exceptions to this rule," but the application of those exceptions "is always fact specific and, thus, not amenable to a bright-line rule for resolution." Id. However, before an exception to the general rule can apply so as to impose a potential duty upon the owner of land, the facts "must establish that there is a special relationship, either between the [owner of land] and the [invitee] or between the third party criminal actor and the [owner of land]." Id. at 107, 540 S.E.2d at 139. The relationship between innkeeper and guest has long been recognized by the common law as constituting just such a special relationship.

Tosta Dojen

imported post

jmelvin wrote:
** By the way, were you the one that had issues with the Home Depot in Roanoke that sits across the parking lot from Sportsman's Warehouse?
That was me. Corporate has apparently set them straight; I've open carried there several times since without incident.

ainfantry7 wrote:
Anyone up for Open Carrying in Roanoke? Maybe a lunch or something? Just send me a personal message and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.
PM sent.

nova

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
thaJack wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:
thaJack wrote:
I saw a conversation on here not too long ago about whether or not people carry with this CCW badges.

I personally do not. However, as an experiment I've thought now about getting one, clipping it to my belt, and then carrying into TGI Friday's again to see if I get a different reaction.

Seeing a badge (even without seeing what is on it) they might not say anything at all.
Badge bad idea. Could be construed as impersonating a LEO.
Could the same argument be made of mall security?
Not if they're in uniform. Even if they are plainclothes, they aren't impersonating. They ARE security.
Virginia has a law regarding uniformed security guards. Their uniform cannot have the word "Police" or "Sheriff" anywhere on it.