• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I am amazed at how many permit holders are against open carry!

jhuskey1861

imported post

I just took my class and my instructor encouraged the class not to open carry. Also, many other websites do the same. My personal feeling is that every law abiding citizen should legally open carry. That could be a huge crime deterrent. If I were a professional criminal, I believe the prospect of most citizens being legally armed would make me seriously consider a career change. Honestly, I just found out that you can legally open carry in the state of Tennessee. And I know there are alot more people that are ignorant of this gem of information. Also, while taking the class, we watched a video from the pd. And the leo spoke of carrying as being a "privilege". When did a right become a privilege?

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

jhuskey1861 wrote:
I just took my class and my instructor encouraged the class not to open carry. Also, many other websites do the same. My personal feeling is that every law abiding citizen should legally open carry. That could be a huge crime deterrent. If I were a professional criminal, I believe the prospect of most citizens being legally armed would make me seriously consider a career change. Honestly, I just found out that you can legally open carry in the state of Tennessee. And I know there are alot more people that are ignorant of this gem of information. Also, while taking the class, we watched a video from the pd. And the leo spoke of carrying as being a "privilege". When did a right become a privilege?
You're right. Let's just say that 10% of the people you encountered at any given time while out shopping or such, were OC'ing. That would have to have a huge impact on potential criminal activity. Criminals would see this and perhaps think that maybe at least half of those numbers would be CC'ing.

As for, "When did a right become a privilege?", it never did because once it is a privilege, it has ceased to be a right. The LEO was wrong and worse, was imparting flawed information to people. The fundamental difference between a right and a privilege is with a right, you needn't ask anyone for permission to exercise it. A privilege, by definition, is a permitted activity which requires permission for its use. Concealed carry permits do not convey a right but rather a permission and those states which issue them have removed the basic right of a form of carry.

Governments cannot convey rights, nor do they have rights. They convey privilege and they have power and authority which is conveyed by the people either through active or passive conveyance.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

AZkopper wrote:
That's just it. They want you to think it is a priviledge---one that can be taken away.
Yep. You hear this many times. For example, how many times have you heard people say something like this.

"You have to get a license to drive a car don't you? So why shouldn't the same thing apply to owning a gun?".

Anyone who makes this statement has only proven they do not understand or know the reasoning behind the creation of the Bill of Rights.

Brigdh

imported post

Why are CCW holders against OC? Some potential reasons to think about.

Permit holders spent time and money into the permit process. OC threatens to make their investment useless.

Permit holders are part of an elite group. Like government officials. Since "anyone" can OC, carrying is no longer restricted to a specific group.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Brigdh wrote:
Why are CCW holders against OC? Some potential reasons to think about.

Permit holders spent time and money into the permit process. OC threatens to make their investment useless.

Permit holders are part of an elite group. Like government officials. Since "anyone" can OC, carrying is no longer restricted to a specific group.
Paid CCW instructors teach so. Just as with the NEA a culture of ignorance is born. When the collective ignorance is exposed then it is defended as common sense and reasonable. The NRA Emperor has no clothes.

RayBurton72

imported post

I think the biggest reason is CC'ers feel that OC'ing does little beyond getting the sheeple in an uproar, and if that uproar gets loud enough, it will result is the loss of CC'ing.

NOt saying I agree, but I think that is what underlies the concern

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Brigdh wrote:
Why are CCW holders against OC?  Some potential reasons to think about.

Permit holders spent time and money into the permit process.  OC threatens to make their investment useless.

Permit holders are part of an elite group.  Like government officials.  Since "anyone" can OC, carrying is no longer restricted to a specific group.
+1

NRA elitists...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

People tend to distrust those that are different.

If you wear your hat backwards, people that wear theirs with the bill in front look at you funny.

Those of you with tatoos have experienced negativity from those without them.

Ocers draw looks - even from the back-up choir.

In all of the above cases: Look they are different, they don't subscribe to the same standards/rules - what's wrong with them? People tend to be judgemental because they believe that know what is best for everybody.

Psychology 101 - You're part of the clan or you're outside of it.

Not every case and not all of the time but frequently enough to make my point.

Its an uphill battle boys & girls - keep pushing.

Yata hey

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

jhuskey1861 wrote:
Privilege means - A special advantage, immunity, permission, right, or benefit granted to or enjoyed by an individual, class, or caste. See Synonyms at right.

So, privilege is synonyms right. The founding fathers understood this.

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I recently took the required Louisiana CC class and was amazed to hear my instructor incorrectly state that getting the CC permit meant giving up the right to OC. I asked him if he was sure about that (out of respect for his being an instructor,I didn't want to openly challenge and embarrass him in front of the class). He said he was fairly certain, backing off of his absolute statement a bit. I let it drop in class, but called the State Police Concealed Handgun Unit for clarification. The guy in charge there confirmed what we all know - that OC is perfectly legal (and constitutionally protected in Louisiana). He said that there were several instructors giving out erroneous information based on a misreading of an administrative law and that the instructor needed to be corrected. I called the instructor and told him about this and let him know that I had not IDed him to the LSP, but that he was welcome to call them and confirm. When I ran into one of the instructor's assistants a few weeks later, he thanked me for helping to clear up the issue and said it would be taught correctly from then on.

Pol Mordreth

imported post

Jhuskey861,

First, welcome to OCDO!

Second, unfortunately in Tennessee the State Constitution says in Article 1 section 26, "

[align=justify]That the citizens of this State have a right to keep and to bear arms for their common defense; but the Legislature shall have power, by law, to regulate the wearing of arms with a view to prevent crime."[/align]
[align=justify]In my view, this keeps possession and ownership of firearms as a right, but carry is relegated to a conditional privilege. [/align]
[align=justify]My own instructor said something similar, but that it shouldn't be done for tactical reasons, ie being the first targeted. When I pressed him for a single example of it happening in real life, he got agitated and so I let it go so I could finish my course. I think that the lie is repeated until no one even thinks to challenge it and just passes it on as recieved wisdom. I don't really think that most people who spout that have any malicious intent, they just pass on what they heard. [/align]
[align=justify][/align]
[align=justify]respectfully, [/align]
[align=justify]Pol[/align]

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

A lie repeated often enough will be reported as gospel - everybody just knows it.

Yata hey

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The instructors we had did acknowledger that OC was legal but warned us that we may have MWG called in on us if we do. Our instructors were both LEO (Hohenwald PD and Lewis County SO) and said that we shouldn't be surprised to put onkness and dissarmeduntil the responding officer assertains that we have HCP and are not a threat. Sounded like a bit of intimidation to me.

But so far I ahven't had any problems at all with Perry County LEO. Walked up to a depudy stetting in his car in the middle of town to ask him where the voting was taking place (Election day) and he didn't seem to be alarmed one bit that I was carrying. I had my wallet in my hand incase he wanted to see my HCP. All he had to say about my side arm was "Whatch yacarryin?" (with a smile) and we talked guns for a minute. Never asked to see my HCP.

HardChrome

imported post

I can only speak for myself about why I prefer to conceal. I live in Virginia so I can do as I choose however I carry concealed more than I carry openly. I think when one is given a choice one will exercise that advantage.

I conceal primarily for the element of surprise. I figure that if something bad is going to happen to me or around me, I'd prefer to have the advantage of surprise. Also, for numerous reasons, I prefer not to attract attention to myself. Due to some elements in my job, it is to my advantage to stay out of the legal limelight.

That being said, I spend a lot of time here on these forums and I often carry openly for the very same reasons that you all embrace here. There may be some who feel superior because they have a CCW permit but then you are going to find that with any group. There is no need to get into debates over the different methods of carrying. We are all trying to support our right to carry a weapon at all. I would encourage anyone to apply for a CCW permit because it does offer choices and advantages not afforded otherwise.

If you are unfortunate enough to live where it is almost impossible to obtain then continue the fight for your rights. Open carrying or concealing, I'm behind you.

Pol Mordreth

imported post

HardChrome,

I agree with your last sentiment. I personally don't care if you carry open or concealed, just carry! Everyone has reasons for how they carry, and I switch back and forth between open and concealed depending on the specific situation. But however an individual chooses to exercise his rights, I'll back them up.

Respectfully,

Pol

AllAmerican

imported post

Wow! There are people with CCW's who are snobs about Oc'ers? That seems strange to me. I agree with the posts above. I dont care how you carry, just carry.

I also think that many, many CCers I know would love to OC if they were allowed by law to do so.

Id love for OC to be legal here. Id still mostly CC but thats just me. Again, there should be no snobbery as to how one carries.

marine77

imported post

I was like jhuskey 1861. In fact a few weeks ago i told my wife everybody need to

oc. Then i found this website and got informed, and in the process of getting my

license in Tennessee, too.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

It doesn't matter to me how someone esle wants to carry, to each his/her own.

But in lieu of the current threat we may face with the new administration, I think it would be most helpful if everyone would OC as much as possible. This could be a big help to ALL gun owners, in showing the public that ordinary law abiding citizens can be trusted to carry firearms in public, without causing "gunfights in the streets".