Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30

Thread: Gun Show Experience at RIR

  1. #1
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,628

    Post imported post

    Nov, 15-16th at RIR was a blast and probably the heaviest attended show there in recent memory.

    The good - scored to AR lowers - a Stag Arms and a DPMS - for the old, before panic prices. Also found a complete DPMS fire contol package at excellant price.

    The bad - ammunition was flying off the shelves. Sat. I bought 500 rds of .45 ACP and Sun. I thought why not pick up another can - sorry sir we are sold out! There were only a few 50 rd packs of 9mm left and no .40 cal either.

    The ugly - I've heard that Dark Sun (a local vendor) could be a little difficult from time to time but never had a personal negative experience....until Sat.

    Asked if they had any AR lower units - they did but only assembled/complete, no stripped lowers. I asked if he was going to get any in and got an irritated lecture on how hard they were to get and that if he did get one he would probably costs me $400.00! "Damn" says I in disbelief. To which I was told, "Don't damn me - I'll come out there and beat your @ss!" Whaaa???? OK - Dark Sun is permanently off my list - doubt that they will miss me but I do have lots of friends at last check.

    All in all a good show with plenty of interesting things to look at and touch. All of the vendors were smiling (except for Dark Sun) and seemed pleased.

    The only other difficulting was getting from one side of Richmond to the other with the marathon in progress. Ended up taking 64W to Mechanicsville and coming back to RIR that way.

    Yata hey


    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  2. #2
    Founder's Club Member Tess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,765

    Post imported post

    Not the first such review I've heard of Dark Sun -- there are plenty of members of this board who will probably regale you with their own stories.

    Glad I didn't attend, though, after what you say about traffic. Guess I'll have to get to Chantilly early next weekend.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,156

    Post imported post

    Dark sun can KMA. They lost my business on two separate ocassions.

    I don't know if I'll make it to the Chantilly show on Friday, for the first time I have class on a Friday Afternoon this semester so I won't make it out in time. I'll probably just wake up early Sat and go then. I really need to get some more Georgia Arms ammo so I hope they aren't out of the stuff I want. I can't imagine how packed this show is going to be.

  4. #4
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671

    Post imported post

    What's the matter Grape? You didnt like my gun show post so you did your own?
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  5. #5
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,628

    Post imported post

    ProShooter wrote:
    What's the matter Grape? You didnt like my gun show post so you did your own?
    I did check but missed it obviously or maybe I saw it and forgot it - can't remember which - sorry 'bout that.

    Maybe the moderators will combine them.

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  6. #6
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671

    Post imported post

    Grapeshot wrote:
    ProShooter wrote:
    What's the matter Grape? You didnt like my gun show post so you did your own?
    maybe I saw it and forgot it - can't remember which

    they call that something, ya know
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  7. #7
    Regular Member glockfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    228

    Post imported post

    Grapeshot wrote:
    Asked if they had any AR lower units - they did but only assembled/complete, no stripped lowers. I asked if he was going to get any in and got an irritated lecture on how hard they were to get and that if he did get one he would probably costs me $400.00! "Damn" says I in disbelief. To which I was told, "Don't damn me - I'll come out there and beat your @ss!" Whaaa???? OK - Dark Sun is permanently off my list - doubt that they will miss me but I do have lots of friends at last check.
    Whoa ? WHO said they'd "beat your ass?" Was it David Jarrett (the owner of Dark Sun)?

    David's always been friendly to me one time at a show he took out his personal carry gun and unloaded to let me try the trigger. It was a small Kahr I'm not into those myself!




  8. #8
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671

    Post imported post

    glockfan wrote:
    one time at a show he took out his personal carry gun and unloaded to let me try the trigger.
    he had a loaded gun inside the show ? :shock:
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  9. #9
    Regular Member Thundar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Newport News, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,964

    Post imported post

    Grapeshot wrote:
    All in all a good show with plenty of interesting things to look at and touch. All of the vendors were smiling (except for Dark Sun) and seemed pleased.
    The Dark Sun people are a bit annoying. They would not accept my C&R FFL to buy a Swedish Mauser. Blamed it on the BATFE. Something about extra work to prove a firearm was C&R eligible when their inspection was done.

    That being said, I bought 3 SKS and a 91/30 from them at different times. All in cosmoline, all in great shape. Their prices are low and they letme pick through their inventory to find the oneI wanted.

    I wouldn't buy a new firearm from them as there is no expectation of customer service after the sale, but for surplus military firearms Dark Sun is a good deal.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

    The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

  10. #10
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,628

    Post imported post

    glockfan wrote:
    Whoa ? WHO said they'd "beat your ass?" Was it David Jarrett (the owner of Dark Sun)?

    David's always been friendly to me one time at a show he took out his personal carry gun and unloaded to let me try the trigger. It was a small Kahr I'm not into those myself!
    Approx. 5' 11", 165-170 lb (slender), 30s, med. complexion, short hair w/yellowish ball cap so could not see hair color.

    I took his remarks quite seriously as did several other potential customer near me who left the immediate area in shock.

    "Personal carry gun and unloaded...." - maybe gun show rules only apply to common folk.

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  11. #11
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671

    Post imported post

    Grapeshot wrote:
    "Personal carry gun and unloaded...." - maybe gun show rules only apply to common folk.
    On Saturday, at the end of the day I wandered over to the trash can to throw something away. I passed a "flea market crap" dealer (not gun dealer) and was amazed at what I saw him do. As I approached, he took a magazine out of his briefcase, draw his .45 from a shoulder rig, aimed the gun towards the ceiling, inserted the mag and chambered the round......he then proceeded to flag me as he was reholstering. I was pissed! I had no hesitation reporting his ass to show management.

    I heard a story that at another show (Dale City?) some dealer had a gun on his table all weekend. He finally sold it to another dealer. The second dealer (nor the first) never bothered to check the gun and as dealer #2 was zip tying the trigger, he busted a round into the floor. The gun sat there all weekend (allegedly) with one in the pipe.

    Show rules exist for a reason. The people who skirt the rules are going to get someone hurt through their carelessness.
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Posts
    3,806

    Post imported post

    We had something like that happen at the last Harrisonburg show. A round bounced off the (concrete) floor and hit a section of the wall on the other side of the building.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    830

    Post imported post

    Grapeshot wrote:
    glockfan wrote:
    Whoa ? WHO said they'd "beat your ass?" Was it David Jarrett (the owner of Dark Sun)?

    David's always been friendly to me one time at a show he took out his personal carry gun and unloaded to let me try the trigger. It was a small Kahr I'm not into those myself!
    Approx. 5' 11", 165-170 lb (slender), 30s, med. complexion, short hair w/yellowish ball cap so could not see hair color.

    I took his remarks quite seriously as did several other potential customer near me who left the immediate area in shock.

    "Personal carry gun and unloaded...." - maybe gun show rules only apply to common folk.

    Yata hey
    that sounds more like rod, you can't miss dave as he is literally covered in tattoos he used to have a pony tail but had his hair cut close the last show. also i've never had a problem with them myself and their customer service after purchase has always been good.

  14. #14
    Regular Member glockfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    228

    Post imported post

    Grapeshot wrote:
    Approx. 5' 11", 165-170 lb (slender), 30s, med. complexion, short hair w/yellowish ball cap so could not see hair color.

    I took his remarks quite seriously as did several other potential customer near me who left the immediate area in shock.

    "Personal carry gun and unloaded...." - maybe gun show rules only apply to common folk.

    Yata hey
    That doesn't sound like owner David Jarrett who threatened ya.

    I think the best guy at these shows is Gary, of Gary's Guns & Transfers.





  15. #15
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,628

    Post imported post

    glockfan wrote:
    I think the best guy at these shows is Gary, of Gary's Guns & Transfers.
    That is exactly from whom I purchased all of my goodies. They are in Manakin Sabot, Va. which is really close by Richmond. Knowledgeable, pleasant and good prices too.

    Yata hey


    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,156

    Post imported post

    Grapeshot wrote:
    glockfan wrote:
    I think the best guy at these shows is Gary, of Gary's Guns & Transfers.
    That is exactly from whom I purchased all of my goodies. They are in Manakin Sabot, Va. which is really close by Richmond. Knowledgeable, pleasant and good prices too.

    Yata hey

    I think I've bought from them as well. Good people.

    I also have had great experiences with:

    Trader Jerrys (will price match and has come down $20 every time I've asked)

    Golden Arms ...had a nice confersation with the one guy while waiting for my background check to come through. The Dale City show wasn't busy so we chatted.

    Rabbit Ridge
    also normally has nice prices but last time the one guy was a little on edge. I think I caught him in a bad mood but I still got a good deal.

    Dark Sun will never get a dime from me, thanks to ponytail man. He knows he's about the only one there with the surplus guns people want and doesn't care about being polite.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    VA Beach, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    558

    Post imported post

    I've seen a couple vendors carrying loaded firearms at shows. As far as Dark Sun I've never had a problem with them but I have heard several people say they have.

  18. #18
    Campaign Veteran Dutch Uncle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,715

    Post imported post

    Ditto. I've never had a major negative interaction, but they can be somewhat aloof and condescending. On the other side, I've gotten surplus deals from them I couldn't match elsewhere. I guess that counts for something. The stuff I've gotten from them has been accurately graded and very reasonably priced. I suppose many of us will put up with a certain amount of BS to get a good deal, but I can't blame some of you for refusing to do business with them. What is their problem???? Why are they so dismissive to the people who keep them in business??

    Do they get a government subsidy or something??

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    635

    Post imported post

    Well Grapeshot, that's good enough for me. It'll be a "dark day ON the Sun" before I spend a dime with Dark Sun.

    I have foundthat living with principles may cost some extra in the short term, but in the long run, a life with no principles can benear worthless.

  20. #20
    Regular Member glockfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    228

    Post imported post

    I have a suspicion that their "new" guns are blems or seconds, hence the reason for the low prices? I wouldn't buy anything "new" from DS.

    Sometimes I see good deals, they had 2 used DSA FAL (SA58's I guess) at the Showplace a month ago one of them was very clean and only $800. I almost bought that damn thing.



  21. #21
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671

    Post imported post

    glockfan wrote:
    I have a suspicion that their "new" guns are blems or seconds, hence the reason for the low prices? I wouldn't buy anything "new" from DS.

    Sometimes I see good deals, they had 2 used DSA FAL (SA58's I guess) at the Showplace a month ago one of them was very clean and only $800. I almost bought that damn thing.

    They have low prices because they operate out of their home. They have no storefront nor a website to maintain.

    I bought a new G23 from them and have never had an issue with the gun's quality.
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Springfield, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    221

    Post imported post

    nova wrote:
    I also have had great experiences with:

    Trader Jerrys (will price match and has come down $20 every time I've asked)

    Golden Arms ...had a nice confersation with the one guy while waiting for my background check to come through. The Dale City show wasn't busy so we chatted.

    Rabbit Ridge
    also normally has nice prices but last time the one guy was a little on edge. I think I caught him in a bad mood but I still got a good deal.

    Dark Sun will never get a dime from me, thanks to ponytail man. He knows he's about the only one there with the surplus guns people want and doesn't care about being polite.
    At the Dulles Expo Center show, there are two other good dealers:

    Joe Elarde Firearms - you'll know them by the yellow shirts. They are usually back to back with the Rimfire Sports table(s). Rimfire has .17 and .22LR pistols, rifles, and parts if you're into Ruger 10/22s . They are usually about 4 rows from the left and one section back as you come in the door.

    Bailey's - They are usually all the way in the back toward the left side. Nice family owned business from Tazwell County.



  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    192

    Post imported post

    I was at RIR this weekend! But not at the gun show...I sponsored the Street Survival Teen driving School on Saturday.

    I had the opportunity to stand upstairs and peer out the window from the classroom over the SEA of people. I was very jealous!!! The lines were HUGE!!!!

    Of course soon we had some comments from the teen driver crowd and their parents who were looking out about "no background checks at guns shows" so I had some educating to do. I had a group of about 6-8 around me and I explained the whole gun show loophole myth and how it was really a private sale loophole. They actually got it!!!! YEAH!!!

    Then one young lady said they shouldn't sell to "sketchy" people. I asked her if sketchy was code word for black,or hispanic or a woman or someone who looked like her or me or that guy over there.....who did she really mean???

    She was stumped at that. I explained to her that there were safe guards in the process to weed out criminals and people who legally can't possess a gun, but that people could still cheat those safe guards. That people who cheat safeguards would not follow ANY of the rules on guns and that they call those people CRIMINALS.

    So by passing overly restrictive rules you actually only disarmed the good law abiding people. You could see the light go on in her head.

    I explained that many times sheep see wolves and sheep dogs as the same and attempt to de-fang both. In reality by de-fanging both....you make the sheep vulnerable to the wolves.

    We all agreed that the police were not there to protect you on a day to day basis.

    I told them that I carry daily and I looked at it like a seatbelt or fire extinguisher or insurance policy.

    I gave all of them my business card and told them straight up-If you want to go shooting or learn more you call me and I will pay for all the ammo and range time.

    I really enjoyed talking to them and I think I at least opened up some minds.

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mechanicsville, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    269

    Post imported post

    Ric in Richmond wrote:
    I was at RIR this weekend! But not at the gun show...I sponsored the Street Survival Teen driving School on Saturday.

    I had the opportunity to stand upstairs and peer out the window from the classroom over the SEA of people. I was very jealous!!! The lines were HUGE!!!!

    Of course soon we had some comments from the teen driver crowd and their parents who were looking out about "no background checks at guns shows" so I had some educating to do. I had a group of about 6-8 around me and I explained the whole gun show loophole myth and how it was really a private sale loophole. They actually got it!!!! YEAH!!!

    Then one young lady said they shouldn't sell to "sketchy" people. I asked her if sketchy was code word for black,or hispanic or a woman or someone who looked like her or me or that guy over there.....who did she really mean???

    She was stumped at that. I explained to her that there were safe guards in the process to weed out criminals and people who legally can't possess a gun, but that people could still cheat those safe guards. That people who cheat safeguards would not follow ANY of the rules on guns and that they call those people CRIMINALS.

    So by passing overly restrictive rules you actually only disarmed the good law abiding people. You could see the light go on in her head.

    I explained that many times sheep see wolves and sheep dogs as the same and attempt to de-fang both. In reality by de-fanging both....you make the sheep vulnerable to the wolves.

    We all agreed that the police were not there to protect you on a day to day basis.

    I told them that I carry daily and I looked at it like a seatbelt or fire extinguisher or insurance policy.

    I gave all of them my business card and told them straight up-If you want to go shooting or learn more you call me and I will pay for all the ammo and range time.

    I really enjoyed talking to them and I think I at least opened up some minds.
    Great story Ric, sounds like you gave then more of an education than they anticipated. It's great to be a Sheep Dog .

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7

    Post imported post

    The only issue I had at a Gun Show (in the Frederickburg area) is when I entered the building, bought my ticket, I had to clear my sidearm and temporarily surrender my magazines +1 round, and to unload I had to use their clearing barrel...no problem.

    However, when it comes time for me to leave and reload, I start to use their clearing barrel so I can "safely" chamber a round and the folks at the table have a kaniption fit and scream at me to stop and then tell me I can't reload here, I have to go out to my vehicle to do that.

    Sorry, to my logical/rational mind that simply doesn't pass the "Common Sense" test.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •