• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry pistol - under 18?

andyffer

imported post

This is for people who are familiar with the Arizona laws. Please dont post your opinions whether or not it is a good idea or bad.

I am under 18 and would like to openly carry my 1911.
Can I if I am with a parent or even with a signed note from my parents saying I can?

Also, the law says that in order for it to be considered open carry "most" of the gun has to be shown? How much of the gun?
Im taking it that sticking it in my beltline does not count?

Thanks

andyffer

imported post

sc01709d22.jpg

sc0170b004.jpg

sc0170c443.jpg

Dahwg

imported post

1st of all welcome to the forum. 2nd, you shouldn't be posting scans of copyrighted material on here like that, so I'd remove it if I were you.

Now, in answer to your question. In addition to requiring a note and the presence of a parent grandparent or certified gun-safety or hunting-safety instructor, the law is very specific on when a minor can carry a weapon.

1. you are legally hunting.
    you are transporting an unloaded gun to legally hunt.
    You are at a shooting event or at the range.
    You are a rancher or farmer and going about your duties on the ranch/farm.

If none of the above apply, leave the 1911 at home or risk having it seized.

Concerning what constitutes "most" the current ruling in State of AZ versus Adams really fogs that up. Basically, the judge said that you have to have enough showing as to make it obvious to the person looking at you that you're armed. I know that doesn't really answer your question, and to be honest, it will depend on the individual LEO as to whether he's going to make a stink about it or not, so this is what I recommend (when you are old enough of course): Either carry fully open, or get a CCW permit.

ETA: on re-looking at your previous posts, it seems to me you've asked this question before and got pretty much the same answer. That's the law and it hasn't changed no matter how many times you ask the question, the answer will be that you can't be a minor and carry a weapon with the exception as noted above. Sorry.

Nick603

imported post

I agree totally with what Dahwg has replied with. The laws are pretty straight forward about it. My 16 yo Son will be able to carry (OC) my Glock 23...sidearm holstered....to and from the range.....unloaded....and between the hours of 5am to 10pm. He is merely transporting the weapon unloaded to and from the indoor range for target shooting. I'll carry the ammo. He will also have a signed note from me, and be accompanied by me. Other than that (or hunting) he's not allowed by law to posses or carry a weapon, until he's 18yo.

And to ask if something is right or wrong (law), you shouldn't say....."Please dont post your opinions whether or not it is a good idea or bad". This is a public forum, so expect people to give thier open and candid views, and if you expect to be able to exercise "your" 2nd amendment rights about guns....then let "others" exercise thier 1st amendment rights too.

Good luck to you, and be safe.

Nick:cool: