Thread: Deer Tales

Post imported post

I figured I would start this thread for you who would like to tell your deer tales. I don't hunt anymore but do like hearing the tales of the hunt.

Post imported post

I shot my first buck on saturday. It was a spike about 100 yds away. I hit it with a 6mm remington, he ran about 50 ft. and laid right there.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

No luck, I saw three yearlings all day, very little activity (no birds, squirrels, or other animal activity, guess those "warning radioactivity" signs meant something), not many shots heard in my area and a surprising lack of hunters out and about. I use a winchester .308. Perhaps the critters were bracing for the storm that came later and had nothing to due with the radioactivity. I was hoping to see a buck with two heads each with a ten point rack...a twenty pointer.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Post imported post

I was in the Prescott National Forest OCing my FAL recently when I saw 2 enormous does. Of course I didn't have a deer license, so I was like this.

So it's a fact, I'm jealous of those of you who stocked up on venison.

I will get some small game hunting in at least when I get back to Michigan. My friend and I have already planned on rabbit hunting.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

A number of years ago my uncle had great success with a Chevy Impala. Range would have been about 5 feet from him to the deer.

Post imported post

I hunt with my father on the Fort Custer military base in Augusta every year.

We didn't see a single deer on opening day this year. There seemed to be half as many hunters in there this year - I thought that was going to be a good thing. I probably heard 8 shots all day. Five years ago, they will take over a hundred deer out of there on opening day....

I'm going to try locally this coming weekend. I'm hunting with my 12 ga. Mossberg. Nothing special, but she shoots true and I'maccurate with it.

Post imported post

I don't huntand there were no carcases in the dumpster this year at work. Last year on/after opening day there were two and the same for the previous year. :?

Post imported post

Went to Large Watering Hole Sent in Wife To Buy A Couple of Rounds of Booze Took A New Box Cutter Out Cut the Ropes on Three or Four big racks got one Big one into my truck before some jerk yelled.Going back later to get wife and kids .

Post imported post

taxwhat wrote:
    Went to Large Watering Hole Sent in Wife To Buy A Couple of Rounds of Booze Took A New Box Cutter Out Cut the Ropes on Three or Four big racks got one Big one into my truck before some jerk yelled.Going back later to get wife and kids .
    hahaha sweet!

Post imported post

i got a 4 point.calliper was 60 miles per hour it flew about 15 feet and then i hit it again and then again with the car i just repossed that i was hauling on the back of my truck.:what:

Post imported post

No luck so far this year. I had to work the opener. and didn't see anything yesterday. I saw four this morning (two at once, each two times), but both times they were probably spooked by me getting into my blind. I figure I"m lucky to see any since we had a storm this afternoon, and nothing was moving after 1200.

Post imported post

Got a nice doe for the early doe season in Sept. distance was 90 yrds. I used my Shiloh Sharps 45/90. She dropped like a bag of rocks. .45 sized entry hole and a golf ball size exit wound. The heavy 487 grain bullet went through her like a freight train.

Got another one opening day with my Ruger Mini 30, 7.62x39. She dropped and twitched a few times before expiring. Distance was about 40 yrds.

Hidehunter

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

I got jack squat

Post imported post

dougwg wrote:
    I got jack squat
    I know how you feel.

The land we hunt had been clear cut about 4-5 years ago. That took away much of the cover, and food source. Used to be we always saw deer in there, and it was just a matter of how many. Now, we're just lucky to see deer.

Post imported post

I didnt see anything, got to spend a few days with my old man. He got a four pointer monday afternoon with a 12ga slug.

Post imported post

A few days with your old man makes the whole thing worthwile.

Post imported post

hidehunter wrote:
    Got a nice doe for the early doe season in Sept. distance was 90 yrds. I used my Shiloh Sharps 45/90. She dropped like a bag of rocks. .45 sized entry hole and a golf ball size exit wound. The heavy 487 grain bullet went through her like a freight train.

Got another one opening day with my Ruger Mini 30, 7.62x39. She dropped and twitched a few times before expiring. Distance was about 40 yrds.

Hidehunter
    I'm not sure you using enough gun hidehunter, I find that the 487 grain to be a little light for my liking.

anyway I'm heading up to the Southern UP on friday to get in a good week of hunting. Probably be using my encore .308 or else my grandpa's old model 8 remington in .32

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

Well I have been hunting since Oct. 1st almost full time while still looking for a job of course (which is why this is my first time posting in FOREVER) and I have seen a few but I still haven't got anything and it's been almost 2 months!!!

Post imported post

I missed one on Monday. I figured the range at about 100 yards and completely botched the shot. Turned out to be closer to 125-130 yards when we paced it out. I'll probably change positions tomorrow.

Post imported post

got cold , saw does ( no doe permit ) wanted to put my cast 185 gr bullet to the test out of the 30-06 this year hunted up by temple ( just west of Harrison ) gonna go out with 12 gauge this week .

Post imported post

Deer Camp 2008--Camp nuG

Our deer camp started out much like every other deer camp. First we drive four hours, until we are

right in the middle of the Huron Nation Forest. Then we disconnect the campers and organize the gas cans and

water jugs. Only then do we find miscellaneous stuff that broke or stopped working. Then it's off our favorite

hunting spots to set up our climbing sticks on our tree stands. As we start making dinner we compile a list of

what we forgot or need to get in town. The list goes something like this: beer, water, beer, climbing sticks, beer,

new water pump for camper, beer, and so forth. The next morning we wake around noon. The others start

arriving throughout the day. The night before the opener everyone is giddy with anticipation. We are all thinking of

the monster buck. As we all jump in the sack, by 10:00 sharp, the nightly games begin. First it's the Walton’s

"Good night John boy". That usually lasts a good 10 minutes. Then it usually dwindles down after half an hour

to the big "sigh" good night all's.

5 am we all jump out of our racks, banging heads and fighting for the bathroom. I usually preload

the perking coffee pot the night before, except in my excitement last night I forgot. After finding the hiding

spot I stuck the coffee grounds, I get that going. Then water on for some hot oatmeal. A few go for the cold milk and cereal,

and a few guys are still bitchin about the crappy beer we had last night.

After an hour we are all moving and getting our gear on. Since our campers hold more beds than it

does storage, all the hunting clothes are in our vehicles. So everyone is scrambling to grab their stuff to bring

inside for a short preheat. Finally we say good luck and head our separate ways. As most camps go, ours is

full of more shenanigans rather then deer. Fortunately in our 2 weeks, our camp did manage to get 5 deer: 2 nice

bucks, 1 spike, and 2 does.

As far as the deer tales goes:

.308 Winchester model 88 lever action at 75 yards & Ruger .44 mag at 2 feet on the first 5 point.

.308 Winchester model 88 lever action at 50 yards on the second 5 point. (4 points on right and a 2” broken rack on left)
    What Do I Feel When I Kill A Terrorist? .........A Little Recoil

Post imported post

I took a nice 6 pt. buck around 8:30 am on November 16. I shot him at 35 yds. with my 12 ga. Wingmaster. I made the mistake of buying 3" saboted shells for my 2 3/4" gun, so the first round jammed after the shell casing expanded into the bore.

I saw the buck shudder, so I perceived a clean hit. I took the time to break-down my gun, removing the remaining shells. I reloaded a single shell in the event I needed another shot.

The buck had died while comfortably nestled into the crotch of a fallen tree. It looks as though he decided to rest once he felt his strength subside. His head was lifted toward the ridge above, as though looking for his pursuer. He was a magnificent animal, probably 1 1/2 yrs with a rather wide, well-polished rack.

I regret not noticing the shell length while selecting slugs. Fortunately, I grabbed saboted 50 cal. slugs instead of the full 12 ga. slugs I usually use The sabot might have slipped over the expanded crimp better than a lead slug would have.

Oh...and I open carried that 12 ga. the whole time.

Banned

Post imported post

2 does this year.

First Deer during the Archery season, Mathews Zamx (65 lbs) Carbon express arrow+ Muzzy (100 Gr.) 3 blade (fixed) Broadhead. 17 yds. Pass through=Dead.

Second Deer. Firearms season/Rifle 30-06 150 Gr. Remington Corelokt. at 75 yds=Dead.

Both deer taken in DMU 452. No TB Found per DNR testing.