• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Deer Tales

WARCHILD

imported post

I figured I would start this thread for you who would like to tell your deer tales. I don't hunt anymore but do like hearing the tales of the hunt.

apyle

imported post

I shot my first buck on saturday. It was a spike about 100 yds away. I hit it with a 6mm remington, he ran about 50 ft. and laid right there.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

No luck, I saw three yearlings all day, very little activity (no birds, squirrels, or other animal activity, guess those "warning radioactivity" signs meant something), not many shots heard in my area and a surprising lack of hunters out and about. I use a winchester .308. Perhaps the critters were bracing for the storm that came later and had nothing to due with the radioactivity. I was hoping to see a buck with two heads each with a ten point rack...a twenty pointer.

Michigander

imported post

I was in the Prescott National Forest OCing my FAL recently when I saw 2 enormous does. Of course I didn't have a deer license, so I was like this. :banghead:

So it's a fact, I'm jealous of those of you who stocked up on venison.

I will get some small game hunting in at least when I get back to Michigan. My friend and I have already planned on rabbit hunting.

Paul Volk

imported post

I hunt with my father on the Fort Custer military base in Augusta every year.

We didn't see a single deer on opening day this year. There seemed to be half as many hunters in there this year - I thought that was going to be a good thing. I probably heard 8 shots all day. Five years ago, they will take over a hundred deer out of there on opening day....

I'm going to try locally this coming weekend. I'm hunting with my 12 ga. Mossberg. Nothing special, but she shoots true and I'maccurate with it. :)

SpringerXDacp

imported post

I don't huntand there were no carcases in the dumpster this year at work. Last year on/after opening day there were two and the same for the previous year. :?

taxwhat

imported post

Went to Large Watering Hole Sent in Wife To Buy A Couple of Rounds of Booze Took A New Box Cutter Out Cut the Ropes on Three or Four big racks got one Big one into my truck before some jerk yelled.Going back later to get wife and kids .

warlockmatized

imported post

taxwhat wrote:
Went to Large Watering Hole Sent in Wife To Buy A Couple of Rounds of Booze Took A New Box Cutter Out Cut the Ropes on Three or Four big racks got one Big one into my truck before some jerk yelled.Going back later to get wife and kids .
hahaha sweet!

ruger45

imported post

i got a 4 point.calliper was 60 miles per hour it flew about 15 feet and then i hit it again and then again with the car i just repossed that i was hauling on the back of my truck.:cuss::what:

ghostrider

imported post

No luck so far this year. I had to work the opener. and didn't see anything yesterday. I saw four this morning (two at once, each two times), but both times they were probably spooked by me getting into my blind. I figure I"m lucky to see any since we had a storm this afternoon, and nothing was moving after 1200.

hidehunter

imported post

Got a nice doe for the early doe season in Sept. distance was 90 yrds. I used my Shiloh Sharps 45/90. She dropped like a bag of rocks. .45 sized entry hole and a golf ball size exit wound. The heavy 487 grain bullet went through her like a freight train.

Got another one opening day with my Ruger Mini 30, 7.62x39. She dropped and twitched a few times before expiring. Distance was about 40 yrds.

Hidehunter

ghostrider

imported post

dougwg wrote:
I got jack squat :cuss:
I know how you feel.

The land we hunt had been clear cut about 4-5 years ago. That took away much of the cover, and food source. Used to be we always saw deer in there, and it was just a matter of how many. Now, we're just lucky to see deer.

cmdio

imported post

hidehunter wrote:
Got a nice doe for the early doe season in Sept. distance was 90 yrds. I used my Shiloh Sharps 45/90. She dropped like a bag of rocks. .45 sized entry hole and a golf ball size exit wound. The heavy 487 grain bullet went through her like a freight train.

Got another one opening day with my Ruger Mini 30, 7.62x39. She dropped and twitched a few times before expiring. Distance was about 40 yrds.

Hidehunter

I'm not sure you using enough gun hidehunter, I find that the 487 grain to be a little light for my liking.

anyway I'm heading up to the Southern UP on friday to get in a good week of hunting. Probably be using my encore .308 or else my grandpa's old model 8 remington in .32

Generaldet

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
imported post

Well I have been hunting since Oct. 1st almost full time while still looking for a job of course (which is why this is my first time posting in FOREVER) and I have seen a few but I still haven't got anything and it's been almost 2 months!!!

ghostrider

imported post

I missed one on Monday. I figured the range at about 100 yards and completely botched the shot. Turned out to be closer to 125-130 yards when we paced it out. I'll probably change positions tomorrow.

dukenukum

imported post

got cold , saw does ( no doe permit ) wanted to put my cast 185 gr bullet to the test out of the 30-06 this year :cuss:hunted up by temple ( just west of Harrison ) gonna go out with 12 gauge this week .