• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Deer Tales

Gosirr

imported post

Deer Camp 2008--Camp nuG

Our deer camp started out much like every other deer camp. First we drive four hours, until we are

right in the middle of the Huron Nation Forest. Then we disconnect the campers and organize the gas cans and

water jugs. Only then do we find miscellaneous stuff that broke or stopped working. Then it's off our favorite

hunting spots to set up our climbing sticks on our tree stands. As we start making dinner we compile a list of

what we forgot or need to get in town. The list goes something like this: beer, water, beer, climbing sticks, beer,

new water pump for camper, beer, and so forth. The next morning we wake around noon. The others start

arriving throughout the day. The night before the opener everyone is giddy with anticipation. We are all thinking of

the monster buck. As we all jump in the sack, by 10:00 sharp, the nightly games begin. First it's the Walton’s

"Good night John boy". That usually lasts a good 10 minutes. Then it usually dwindles down after half an hour

to the big "sigh" good night all's.

5 am we all jump out of our racks, banging heads and fighting for the bathroom. I usually preload

the perking coffee pot the night before, except in my excitement last night I forgot. After finding the hiding

spot I stuck the coffee grounds, I get that going. Then water on for some hot oatmeal. A few go for the cold milk and cereal,

and a few guys are still bitchin about the crappy beer we had last night.

After an hour we are all moving and getting our gear on. Since our campers hold more beds than it

does storage, all the hunting clothes are in our vehicles. So everyone is scrambling to grab their stuff to bring

inside for a short preheat. Finally we say good luck and head our separate ways. As most camps go, ours is

full of more shenanigans rather then deer. Fortunately in our 2 weeks, our camp did manage to get 5 deer: 2 nice

bucks, 1 spike, and 2 does.

As far as the deer tales goes:

.308 Winchester model 88 lever action at 75 yards & Ruger .44 mag at 2 feet on the first 5 point.

.308 Winchester model 88 lever action at 50 yards on the second 5 point. (4 points on right and a 2” broken rack on left)

Hcidem

imported post

I took a nice 6 pt. buck around 8:30 am on November 16. I shot him at 35 yds. with my 12 ga. Wingmaster. I made the mistake of buying 3" saboted shells for my 2 3/4" gun, so the first round jammed after the shell casing expanded into the bore.

I saw the buck shudder, so I perceived a clean hit. I took the time to break-down my gun, removing the remaining shells. I reloaded a single shell in the event I needed another shot.

The buck had died while comfortably nestled into the crotch of a fallen tree. It looks as though he decided to rest once he felt his strength subside. His head was lifted toward the ridge above, as though looking for his pursuer. He was a magnificent animal, probably 1 1/2 yrs with a rather wide, well-polished rack.

I regret not noticing the shell length while selecting slugs. Fortunately, I grabbed saboted 50 cal. slugs instead of the full 12 ga. slugs I usually use The sabot might have slipped over the expanded crimp better than a lead slug would have.

Oh...and I open carried that 12 ga. the whole time. ;)

wardog6d

Banned
imported post

2 does this year.

First Deer during the Archery season, Mathews Zamx (65 lbs) Carbon express arrow+ Muzzy (100 Gr.) 3 blade (fixed) Broadhead. 17 yds. Pass through=Dead.

Second Deer. Firearms season/Rifle 30-06 150 Gr. Remington Corelokt. at 75 yds=Dead.

Both deer taken in DMU 452. No TB Found per DNR testing.