• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Masin nagant ? mauser ? ? ?

utahglock

imported post

hey all, im looking at the purchase of a masin nagant or a mauser. i believe some on this fourm like THX have one or two of these guns, and i would like to know which one is the better of the two for some one that has never shot anything but a handgun, and also If any of the local gun shops sale them ? like gallesons ? dougs ? fmbg ? impact ? get some ? if not do it looks like i would have to find a FFL, and if i had to do that would some one like to be my FFL ? im looking at the purchase within the next 30 days :p by dec 15th.

and also i notice you could get a yugo mauser at big 5 for around 90.00 bucks but is it worth buying from them ?

thx997303

imported post

Big 5 is difficult. They really lack customer service.

But they do carry the M-44 and M-91/30 Mosins quite often. And they can usually be had for around $100 or less. Gunnies also carries them, and they usually have a decent selection. I've seen ones with laminated stocks, and the normal wood stock. You pay a little more for the lammie, but they sure are nice.

The ammo for the Mosin tends to be on the cheap side of things. I paid about $5 per 20 rounds last time I bought ammo. FMJ ball rounds. Surplus from 1957.

It shoots the 7.62X54R cartridge, and the recoil is easy to handle. Unless you're putting 100s of rounds downrange all at once. Ballistics lying somehwere in between the 7.62X51 NATO round (.308) and the .30-06 Which is plenty to take down rocky mountain elk.

If you get a good one, they tend to be quite accurate. Just make sure to inspect the crown of the muzzle and the barrel. Also, clean the chamber up real good when you first get it, or else you may have the bolt stick on you. Dang things are usually full of cosmoline.

The Yugo Mauser shoots the 8mm Mauser round, or more correctly the 7.92X57mm IS. At least, that is what the Germans call it. The round is a great round for large game,but does tend to have recoil akin to magnum cartridges.

IMO, the Mosin would probably be the better buy.

yo101jimmy

imported post

utahglock wrote:
hey all, im looking at the purchase of a masin nagant or a mauser. i believe some on this fourm like THX have one or two of these guns, and i would like to know which one is the better of the two for some one that has never shot anything but a handgun, and also If any of the local gun shops sale them ? like gallesons ? dougs ? fmbg ? impact ? get some ? if not do it looks like i would have to find a FFL, and if i had to do that would some one like to be my FFL ? im looking at the purchase within the next 30 days :p by dec 15th.

and also i notice you could get a yugo mauser at big 5 for around 90.00 bucks but is it worth buying from them ?
I like both of these rifles, its really 6's! Ammo I would say the Nagant might win being a cheaper one too shoot. But I have to say I love takeing my K98 out when I want to reach out and touch something hard.

I would suggest looking at the k98's they have at big 5 thats a pretty good price or if you want we have a gun show comming up really soon.

FogRider

imported post

I have a M91/30 and a M44, and I love them both.

Speaking of Nagants, I was really wishing I had some money, I was at a gun show last weekend and saw a M91/30 '36 Izzy sniper w/ scope for ~$600.

yo101jimmy

imported post

utahglock wrote:
well i broke down and got the Mosin Nagant, I got lucky and scored a 32 tula, With matching numbers, Nice stock, and Clear markings.

I have some pictures posted here http://7.62x54r.net/Forums/index.php?topic=601.0

now to fix BAYONET! and OC downtown :D wonder how quick the coppers would get called eh ?
Load up on Ammo for that one! but very nice gun pretty clean and oiled up!
Happy shooting!

billynair

imported post

I have both. And although the Mauser is "nicer", the Mosin is just all around easier to shoot and take care of. I prefer the Mosin when going out to play. I have an M44 but I am sure the actions are very similar. They are fun to shoot.

The only problem I have had with either is they both shoot a little low, even on the lowest setting and the front sight just under the V of the rear sight they are low, I just place the front sight barely past visibility and it seems to be OK.