• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tryanny: opressive power exerted by goverment..

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

marshaul wrote:
Benjamin Franklin wrote:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

wikiquote FTW :celebrate
Specifically;
  • They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
  • Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
    • The first variant was written by Franklin, with quotation marks but almost certainly his original thought, sometime shortly before February 17, 1775 as part of his notes for a proposition at the Pennsylvania Assembly. See Memoirs of the life and writings of Benjamin Franklin. [1]
    • The second variant was used as a motto on the title page of An Historical Review of the Constitution and Government of Pennsylvania. (1759) This book was published by Franklin; its author was Richard Jackson, but Franklin did claim responsibility for some small excerpts.[2]
    • A variant by Franklin: "Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power." (Poor Richard's Almanack, 1738)

suntzu

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
marshaul wrote:
Benjamin Franklin wrote:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

wikiquote FTW :celebrate
Specifically;
  • They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
  • Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
    • The first variant was written by Franklin, with quotation marks but almost certainly his original thought, sometime shortly before February 17, 1775 as part of his notes for a proposition at the Pennsylvania Assembly. See Memoirs of the life and writings of Benjamin Franklin. [1]
    • The second variant was used as a motto on the title page of An Historical Review of the Constitution and Government of Pennsylvania. (1759) This book was published by Franklin; its author was Richard Jackson, but Franklin did claim responsibility for some small excerpts.[2]
    • A variant by Franklin: "Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power." (Poor Richard's Almanack, 1738)
Indeed--and we have sold our liberty and exchanged it for something that is transitory in nature--because when they take your freedom--they can take your security too. Take a look at New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina if you need an example of an oppressive, tyrannical government in operation.

suntzu

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
There is an essential tension between freedom and community and between orthodoxy and heterodoxy.

Safety is the first act in the security theater and a great opener because no one can be against safety, the tyrant's tool.
I prefer the stormy waves of Freedom to the still quiet of security and safety.

suntzu

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
suntzu wrote:
I prefer the stormy waves of Freedom to the still quiet of security and safety.
So, how are you financing your retirement? Security would seem to include 'economic security' beyond doubloons in your mattress.
My retirement? I will not retire. I plan to work until I am no longer physically able to do so. As for financing it--I save every dime I can and spend as little as is humanly possible beyond the obvious bills and a few little things that I want here and there. Everyone buys things they want from time to time, and I am no different--but unless I really want it, I generally don't buy it.

As for economic security--what we have seen is evidence that there is no such thing as "economic security" because the markets and the economy is so unstable.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Cobbersmom wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:
Welcome Cobbersmom.

How are you occupied by 'small town government', if I may be nosy.

I'm a hired employee, not elected and work in an area town. That's kind of like catching a lunker fish in an 'area' lake <g>. I started actively reading this forum this past summer when I had a seasonal resident (convicted felon, all around bad guy, crack head) come after me with an axe when I had caught him doing something he wasn't supposed to be doing. I'm hoping to not only learn more about my rights from reading these forums, but absorb them so they become a part of me. As I educate myself, I hope to educate others about the dangers of allowing our rights to be slowly extinguished. My friends, boss and others who know about the axe guy episode all encouraged me with whispers to carry a gun from then on. None of them, as myself, realized it is legal to open carry. Then again, that will be easy this weekend as I won't be anywhere without my 30.06 <g>

I live in the same community as you, I am also a business owner (south of Minocqua). Do I dare carry openly in town?? I imagine Minocqua's finest going overboard and being forcibly faceplanted on the snow covered sidewalk! I would like to open carry since we do not have CCW rights in this state and a bold statement towards open carry must be made. If they get upset about carrying openly, then it might force them to override our governors veto's.

If you care to join my girlfriend and myself in walking through downtown Minocqua doing some window shoppingwhile openly carrying, please contact me. I am sure a few others would be proud to join the procession. We have better safety in numbers and we could avoid being made a lone example.

I would feel much more confident with a city employee with me so I am not made an example by a certain few officers that tend to ignore our rights (which I am sure you know)

it needs to be done while our tourist's are back in their home towns, and things are alot calmer as they are right now.

Christmas Eve sound like the proper time? How about Christmas day?

suntzu

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
Cobbersmom wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:
Welcome Cobbersmom.

I'm a hired employee, not elected and work in an area town. That's kind of like catching a lunker fish in an 'area' lake <g>. I started actively reading this forum this past summer when I had a seasonal resident (convicted felon, all around bad guy, crack head) come after me with an axe when I had caught him doing something he wasn't supposed to be doing. I'm hoping to not only learn more about my rights from reading these forums, but absorb them so they become a part of me. As I educate myself, I hope to educate others about the dangers of allowing our rights to be slowly extinguished. My friends, boss and others who know about the axe guy episode all encouraged me with whispers to carry a gun from then on. None of them, as myself, realized it is legal to open carry. Then again, that will be easy this weekend as I won't be anywhere without my 30.06 <g>

I live in the same community as you, I am also a business owner (south of Minocqua). Do I dare carry openly in town?? I imagine Minocqua's finest going overboard and being forcibly faceplanted on the snow covered sidewalk! I would like to open carry since we do not have CCW rights in this state and a bold statement towards open carry must be made. If they get upset about carrying openly, then it might force them to override our governors veto's.

If you care to join my girlfriend and myself in walking through downtown Minocqua doing some window shoppingwhile openly carrying, please contact me. I am sure a few others would be proud to join the procession. We have better safety in numbers and we could avoid being made a lone example.

I would feel much more confident with a city employee with me so I am not made an example by a certain few officers that tend to ignore our rights (which I am sure you know)

it needs to be done while our tourist's are back in their home towns, and things are alot calmer as they are right now.

But you see--this is where you sue them and then retire from the proceeds you receive to somewhere more firearm friendly...

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

suntzu wrote:
Nutczak wrote:
Cobbersmom wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:
Welcome Cobbersmom.

But you see--this is where you sue them and then retire from the proceeds you receive to somewhere more firearm friendly...
And can I count on you to pay my legal fee's? A group of people is the only way tis will fly, or it will be brushed under the rug too easily.

In the courts up here I have found that it is usually not the prosecutors burden to provea personsguilt, but instead it is expected of the defense to prove their own innocence.
How exactly does one prove innocence anyways??

I would love to be the one to make the statement, but I am not financially able to hire all the attorneys it will need to get through appeals after being found guily of some bogus charge. I had the misfortune of being on the wrong side of the courtroom after a bogus traffic ticket was issued, the things I saw go on in that court room appalled me! Why bother to have a prosecutor when the judge assumes that position in northern WI courts.