• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

FFL Transfers

VApatriot

imported post

I am looking at buying a rifle off of Gunbroker.com, and I would like to know who would be the best FFL in the area to have one transfered to. If anyone who has done it before could share who they used, how long it took, and how much it cost that would be great.

Harper1227

imported post

I haven't bought anything off gunbroker, but the last two guns i bought we bought through a private FFL out of Vienna. Bruce Furr - Furr Supply Company. I found him from the dealer locator on the Sigarms site. We have had nothing but good experiences with him and just order a third from him. You'd have to call and ask him about his transfer procedures/prices. But I would recommend him to anyone I know.

FURR SUPPLY COMPANY, INC.
2009 Roundhouse Road
Vienna, VA 22181
(703) 620-0441
Fax: (703) 620-0119
E-Mail: jbfurr@verizon.net

kle

imported post

Mr. Furr and I get along quite well; with the exception of one gun (which he was out of town for, and all the face-to-face transactions of course), he's transferred all of my guns this year. Good guy, A++++, would deal with again.

Glock27Bill

imported post

I use a private FFL, Wesley:

Dunn Loring Trading Company, Llc

8111 Idylwood Rd
Dunn Loring, VA 22027

Phone# 703-402-2822

Last time charged ne $20-$25, a good guy, like any private busines, make certain he'll be in town when you have your stuff shipped.

eta: I'm not certain what you mean by "how long it took."

Depends on how fast you write, I guess. He calls in the NIC, you're good to go.

VApatriot

imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:

Well, I actually meant how long did it take for your dealer and the seller to exchange paperwork to transfer the firearm. I guess I wasn't really clear about that part. Thanks for the recommendations.

nova

imported post

I haven't done an FFL transfer myself, but I'd use either Guns and Ammo Warehouse or Virginia Arms. Both around 20 bucks if I remember correctly, maybe plus the cost of the NICS check.

acrimsontide

imported post

VApatriot wrote:
Glock27Bill wrote:

Well, I actually meant how long did it take for your dealer and the seller to exchange paperwork to transfer the firearm. I guess I wasn't really clear about that part. Thanks for the recommendations.
Most FFL dealers seem to handle the transactions promptly. I have previously worked at a gun shop in Alabama and most shipments come in pretty quickly after we submitted our FFL which we did the same day we got the request. The exceptions to this are SOME of the private dealers who may not work full time and therefore don't handle the requests daily. Hope that helps.

hsmith

imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:

8111 Idylwood Rd
Dunn Loring, VA 22027

Phone# 703-402-2822

Last time charged ne $20-$25, a good guy, like any private busines, make certain he'll be in town when you have your stuff shipped.

He have an email address?

Nelson_Muntz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I use G&A also. But I don't think you'll find any difference or problems between any of the folks mentioned so far.

Maybe a better question would be "who not to use"? Anybody have a bad experience with a local FFL we should know to steer clear of?

alnitak

imported post

G&A charges $25 per item, not sure about Virginia Arms.

I've been using a local (Sterling) guy, the Rev. Wm. Bickett. However, he charges $35 for every item. Nice guy to work with, but I would like to find someone cheaper that's just as close (otherwise the difference will just go to gas money).

Seems to me that that is a service one of the forum members could provide for other forum members, at a reduced price. My brother pays only $15 through his gun shop in PA. I sure wish I could find someone locally for that price!

Glock27Bill

imported post

hsmith wrote:
Glock27Bill wrote:

8111 Idylwood Rd
Dunn Loring, VA 22027

Phone# 703-402-2822

He have an email address?

shot.gunner@verizon.net

Sorry for being dense on the time issue, I buy from mainstream places like CDNN and Bud's, so Wesley's FFL is usually on file.

I did buy from a small shop in west-central VA where his FFL was not on file there, the whole transaction went pretty fast. Probably 2-3 other times over the years where his FFL was not on file, Wesley is prompt. Email is the best way to go in contacting him and getting his FFL sent out.

But again, being a one man shop, you're dependant upon the availability of one person.

hsmith

imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:
shot.gunner@verizon.net

Sorry for being dense on the time issue, I buy from mainstream places like CDNN and Bud's, so Wesley's FFL is usually on file.

I did buy from a small shop in west-central VA where his FFL was not on file there, the whole transaction went pretty fast. Probably 2-3 other times over the years where his FFL was not on file, Wesley is prompt. Email is the best way to go in contacting him and getting his FFL sent out.

But again, being a one man shop, you're dependant upon the availability of one person.
thanks, yeah i am not ususally in that big of a hurry when i order something so i'll buy some time. it will be nice to have a FFL within 2 miles instead of 20 like VA Arms lol

Glock27Bill

imported post

hsmith wrote:
Glock27Bill wrote:
shot.gunner@verizon.net

thanks, yeah i am not ususally in that big of a hurry when i order something so i'll buy some time. it will be nice to have a FFL within 2 miles instead of 20 like VA Arms lol

Really?!?! I'm a little closer than 2 miles, probably anout 1.

Wesley usually schedules appointments around 7pm, so he can eat with his family.

Works out great, he's as close as 7-11!!

kle

imported post

tag wrote:
I'm not sure about this, but I think Gilbert Small Arm Range charges $15. Again, I'm not sure. While I was there I thought I saw a sign saying that.. You could give them a call and find out. Website here http://www.gilbertrange.com/
I transferred a gun through Gilbert Small Arms back in March, and they charged me $25, and I asked them about it (having remembered their $15 fee)--they said they had upped their fee about 6 months prior to that.

The transfer fee, plus the fact that they're 40 minutes away from my house (I live in Chantilly, they're in Lorton...yay Beltway), make Furr Supply Co. a much better choice for me. Although Mr. Furr doesn't have too much in the way of eye-candy while you're waiting for the NICS...

eyesopened

imported post

tag wrote:
I'm not sure about this, but I think Gilbert Small Arm Range charges $15. Again, I'm not sure. While I was there I thought I saw a sign saying that.. You could give them a call and find out. Website here http://www.gilbertrange.com/
Oh and Gilbert Small Arms won't accept FFL from some places like Aim Surplus. I forget the exact rational, but it was something about them being a distributor.

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Bulldog1967 wrote:
VA Arms is the only place I do any gun business anymore. They rock!
I've heard only good things about VA Arms.

I'm in another corner of the state, but hopefully some time I will make it there for a visit.