• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Possess firearms on college, university and other TBR campuses

suntzu

imported post

Question:
Should the carrying of firearms be allowed on Tennessee college and university and other TBR campuses by those with handgun permits?

I am all for it--being a college student I for one am concerned with the potential for crime that exists--especially in light of what happened at Virginia Tech. Considering that any place that bans guns might just as well place a sign outside saying killers, rapists and thugs of all sizes are welcome here....

Further I say that it should not be left up to the college/university or their "police departments" to decide who can and cannot carry.

Second question--I know this board is to promote the open carry of firearms, so this next question could be sacrilegious to ask here--but what are the opinions about how the firearms should be carried--openly or concealed?

Fallguy

imported post

On question 1 I agree. But the way law is currently written evenif the statutory restriction was removed, the school could still post a signper 39-17-1359.

On question 2 it's hard to say. But also according to anAG opinion, a property owner who allows carry on his property can dictate whether you can carry it open or concealed, so....

I still hope this is one of several bills that get a chance to pass this year with a new Speaker instead of being shot down in committe....

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'd have to agree with both of you.

As for queston 2, consider that many college campuses are havens for radical liberals, I think it would be highly disruptive to OC. The Libby's would riot at the sight of an openly carried firearm. CC might be more appropriate.

suntzu

imported post

Fallguy wrote:
On question 1 I agree. But the way law is currently written evenif the statutory restriction was removed, the school could still post a signper 39-17-1359.

On question 2 it's hard to say. But also according to anAG opinion, a property owner who allows carry on his property can dictate whether you can carry it open or concealed, so....

I still hope this is one of several bills that get a chance to pass this year with a new Speaker instead of being shot down in committe....
Why not start a letter writing campaign and a petition signing campaign?

As for how a person can carry--it should not be up to the colleges/universities or their "security" force to dictate the manner in which you can carry. I would also like to see it somewhat more difficult for a business/entity to ban or restrict firearms--perhaps that is just wishful thinking. You would think that a "gun free zone" would realize that they are openly inviting criminals by saying "hey look at us--no guns, come rob, rape and pillage"...where is the common sense nowadays?

I am somewhat puzzled as to which would be best for campus carry if it was ever allowed--hopefully one day it will be--both oc and cc have their points, so I am in somewhat a quandry here.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

suntzu wrote:
Fallguy wrote:

Why not start a letter writing campaign and a petition signing campaign?

As for how a person can carry--it should not be up to the colleges/universities or their "security" force to dictate the manner in which you can carry. I would also like to see it somewhat more difficult for a business/entity to ban or restrict firearms--perhaps that is just wishful thinking. You would think that a "gun free zone" would realize that they are openly inviting criminals by saying "hey look at us--no guns, come rob, rape and pillage"...where is the common sense nowadays?

I am somewhat puzzled as to which would be best for campus carry if it was ever allowed--hopefully one day it will be--both oc and cc have their points, so I am in somewhat a quandry here.
The first thing to do is get carrying allowed on campus, even if it has to be CC. The word will get out that campus isn't gun free zone anymore. Work on OC later.

Although................ Liberals rioting might be just the escuse to "thin them out" a bit. ;)

WCrawford

imported post

suntzu wrote:
Question:
Should the carrying of firearms be allowed on Tennessee college and university and other TBR campuses by those with handgun permits?

I am all for it--being a college student I for one am concerned with the potential for crime that exists--especially in light of what happened at Virginia Tech. Considering that any place that bans guns might just as well place a sign outside saying killers, rapists and thugs of all sizes are welcome here....

Further I say that it should not be left up to the college/university or their "police departments" to decide who can and cannot carry.

Second question--I know this board is to promote the open carry of firearms, so this next question could be sacrilegious to ask here--but what are the opinions about how the firearms should be carried--openly or concealed?
I, personally, would support a law that would require any college or university in Tennessee, that receives state or federal money, to allow HCP holders to carry their firearm in accordance with the law.

That should answer both questions. :)