• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I told Ya'll "Constitutional Convention" Coming ?

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

rodbender wrote:
I don't think there is any way that 38 states are going to want to repeal 16A. There are only a small handful that don't have an income tax themselves.Why would they cut their own throat?
repealing the income tax at the federal level would have no effect on state income taxes.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
And I lol at the "fair" tax being developed through citizen study groups... as if the average person has any concept of how a tax will actually effect them.

Joe Idiot:  "Well heeeyuk...  that thar fair tax sounds good ta me!!  Aaaa make less so aaaa spend less, them thar rich folk make more so they spend more!  Lower taxes far me!!!!"  :quirky 
Of course, on the other hand, our oh-so-intelligent elected representatives all possess immense knowledge and understanding of every ramification of tax on society. :quirky

Legba

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
A large fraction of my summer-neighbors, arguably the majority are manipulating their state tax liability via residency requirements.
Howard Hughes weaseled out of paying state income tax by moving among hotel rooms in different states so as to avoid having a permanent address. Nevada sued him for a ton of money and lost.

-ljp

jmlefler

imported post

There is only one fair tax...the rest is smoke and mirrors.

3 trillion divided by 300 million = ten thousand

That's what it costs to maintain each American. Your 'fair share' is the number of folks in your family or who you are responsible for multiplied by $10,000.00.

All other schemes are designed to make someone else pay an American's tax. For example let's take the corporate tax; not one corporation pays any tax, each tax is passed through to the consumer via pricing.

If your current 'tax liability' is less than $10,00 per head, say a thank you to someone who is paying more on your behalf.

If you are someone who is paying more, thank you.

If you think $10,000 is too much, let your congressman know.

mjones

imported post

jmlefler wrote:

That's what it costs to maintain each American. Your 'fair share' is the number of folks in your family or who you are responsible for multiplied by $10,000.00.

All other schemes are designed to make someone else pay an American's tax. For example let's take the corporate tax; not one corporation pays any tax, each tax is passed through to the consumer via pricing.

If your current 'tax liability' is less than $10,00 per head, say a thank you to someone who is paying more on your behalf.

If you think $10,000 is too much, let your congressman know.

I wish I was at least allowed to pick the four other people I support ;)

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

marshaul wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:
And I lol at the "fair" tax being developed through citizen study groups... as if the average person has any concept of how a tax will actually effect them.

Joe Idiot: "Well heeeyuk... that thar fair tax sounds good ta me!!Aaaa make less so aaaa spend less, them thar rich folk make more so they spend more!Lower taxes far me!!!!" :quirky
Of course, on the other hand, our oh-so-intelligent elected representatives all possess immense knowledge and understanding of every ramification of tax on society. :quirky

No, but the ones on the economic/finance committees thatthe tax laws pass throughare usually educated (or have advisors)and have an infinitely better understanding of what they're dealing with than the average idiot on the street. I guess you haven't been watching all the recent hearings. These people actually know their shit.

Leave the decision making to those educated enough to do so. Those that don't have a clue what's going oncan stick to whatthey're best at, bitching and whing.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

jmlefler wrote:

That's what it costs to maintain each American.
Actually, you have yet to come anywhere close to demonstrating that the federal budget divided by the number of Americans has anything to do with the "cost to maintain each American". For starters, that neglects state-level "maintenance". Secondly, it neglects the fact that most of that budget isn't spent "maintaining" anything other than a welfare state, foreign interventionism, and a host of other completely unnecessary items.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
marshaul wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:

Joe Idiot:  "Well heeeyuk...  that thar fair tax sounds good ta me!!  Aaaa make less so aaaa spend less, them thar rich folk make more so they spend more!  Lower taxes far me!!!!"  :quirky 

No, but the ones on the economic/finance committees that the tax laws pass through are usually educated (or have advisors) and have an infinitely better understanding of what they're dealing with than the average idiot on the street.  I guess you haven't been watching all the recent hearings.  These people actually know their @#$%.

Leave the decision making to those educated enough to do so.  Those that don't have a clue what's going on can stick to what they're best at, bitching and whing.
I don't care how detailed their understanding, nor care I how ignorant the average Joe. Overtaxation, and the concomitant excessive spending of the Federal government, are doing immense harm to our freedoms, our economy and our national security. That they fail to recognize this demonstrates only that they are blinded by detail.

I hope you are not equating me with "the average idiot on the street".

I'll make it quite simple. As long as the government has enough money to perpetuate wars like the present one in Iraq, those committee members are doing a job they have no business doing. I don't give a damn how capable they are at that job.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

jmlefler wrote:

Wrong. Depends on the elasticity of the demand for the product/service.

Corporations pay an absolutely exorbitant amount of tax in this country. Comparethe taxes here to other countries and you'll quicklyrealize that corporations bear the majority ofour tax burden, whilecitizens pay very little.

jmlefler wrote:
If your current 'tax liability' is less than $10,000 per head, say a thank you to someone who is paying more on your behalf.

This is absolutely correct, and is exactly what I mentioned in the other thread. It actually works out to far higher than $10,000, but the idea is the same.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

marshaul wrote:
I don't care how detailed their understanding, nor care I how ignorant the average Joe. Overtaxation, and the concomitant excessive spending of the Federal government, are doing immense harm to our freedoms, our economy and our national security. That they fail to recognize this demonstrates only that they are blinded by detail.

I'll make it quite simple. As long as the government has enough money to perpetuate wars like the present one in Iraq, those committee members are doing a job they have no business doing. I don't give a damn how capable they are at that job.

You've raised a strawman. The issue wasregarding competence levels of the people making the decisions and the criticisms, not what state the system is in or whether the currenttaxesare fair or not.

Educated, informed person > idiot off the street. That is all.

Tomahawk

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
No, but the ones on the economic/finance committees thatthe tax laws pass throughare usually educated (or have advisors)and have an infinitely better understanding of what they're dealing with than the average idiot on the street. I guess you haven't been watching all the recent hearings. These people actually know their @#$%.

Leave the decision making to those educated enough to do so. Those that don't have a clue what's going oncan stick to whatthey're best at, bitching and whing.
How respectful you are to your philospher-kings. Wonder if it comforts your smart-alec mind that those philosopher-kings regard you as one of those "idiots on the street". Or perhaps you are just too cool to imagine such a thought.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
How respectful you are to your philospher-kings. Wonder if it comforts your smart-alec mind that those philosopher-kings regard you as one of those "idiots on the street". Or perhaps you are just too cool to imagine such a thought.

You get to a point where you realize that there ARE people that know more than you. And you may not agree with those people, but you can bet there's a damn good reason they believe what they do; so maybe it's YOUR position that needs to be re-examined.

"A wise man never knows all, only fools know everything."

Reminds me of many people here that think they know law better than Supreme Court justices. There's a reason why they're making decisions that effect the nation and you're just complaining about it on the internet. Think about that before you speak against them. The same goes for anyone that is clearly more informed and knowledgable than yourself, whether you agree with them or not.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
marshaul wrote:

You've raised a strawman.  The issue was regarding competence levels of the people making the decisions and the criticisms, not what state the system is in or whether the current taxes are fair or not.

Educated, informed person > idiot off the street.  That is all.
It's not intended as a strawman. I agree with your point, but I fail to see why you make it. I would not waste time arguing for skilled executioners.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
Reminds me of many people here that think they know law better than Supreme Court justices.  There's a reason why they're making decisions that effect the nation and you're just complaining about it on the internet.  Think about that before you speak against them.  The same goes for anyone that is clearly more informed and knowledgable than yourself, whether you agree with them or not.
For a self-professed strict constructionist, Scalia has an impossibly authoritarian bent. I cannot trust the understanding of such a self-contradictory person. As such, I find it hard to trust his judgement regarding the law.

And I just picked my current "favorite". Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

marshaul wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:
Reminds me of many people here that think they know law better than Supreme Court justices. There's a reason why they're making decisions that effect the nation and you're just complaining about it on the internet. Think about that before you speak against them. The same goes for anyone that is clearly more informed and knowledgable than yourself, whether you agree with them or not.
For a self-professed strict constructionist, Scalia has an impossibly authoritarian bent. I cannot trust the understanding of such a self-contradictory person. As such, I find it hard to trust his judgement regarding the law.

And I just picked my current "favorite". Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

I don't understand theoretical physics, that doesn't mean I go around telling those educated in it that they're wrong because it doesn't make sense to me. I don't agree with Einstein's personal life and decisions,is that sufficient tosuccessfully discredit his theories?

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

When did I say I don't understand basic Constitutional law? On the other hand, Scalia, several of the other Supreme Court Justices, and the majority of our elected "representatives" for that matter, seem to have a major deficiency in this arena.

You seem to be more concerned with "education" than with actual results.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

marshaul wrote:
When did I say I don't understand basic Constitutional law? On the other hand, Scalia, several of the other Supreme Court Justices, and the majority of our elected "representatives" for that matter, seem to have a major deficiency in this arena.

You seem to be more concerned with "education" than with actual results.

Saying you understand basic law and then telling people with law degrees and a lifetime of experience that they're wrong... based on your "basic" understanding... makes you the fool. It certainly doesn't make them wrong. It works the same way with taxes and it's why this got brought up in the first place. People with "basic" (or no) understanding of how economics work are the ones with the biggest mouths, shouting about how stupid and wrong all the policy makers are. The further your understandingprogresses beyond "basic," the slower you are to criticize and find fault with those far above you. That's not to say they're infallible, it's just to make the point that you're really in no place to prove them wrong or make legitimate criticismsbecause you have about 0.001% of a completeunderstanding of the issues at hand.

Flintlock

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
Saying you understand basic law and then telling people with law degrees and a lifetime of experience that they're wrong... based on your "basic" understanding... makes you the fool. It certainly doesn't make them wrong.
Do you read your posts before you press send?

Having a law degree and being picked by a corupt politician to a lifetime bench post does not necessarily make anyone the worlds expert on constitutional law.Political ideaology, legilslating from the bench, and personal and religious viewsare injected into each and every decision they make. Sometimes, it appears that international laws and pressure from the masses or from whomever picked them is where the prioirities lie for the judges.

Constitutional law as it was intended by the founders seems to be the last thing on the mind of our SCOTUS. How else do you explain 4 Justices voting against an individual right to own and carry arms? How do you explain the court upholding campaign finance reform?

How do you explain RBG as giving speeches on how we should inject international law whendeciding cases? Have you ever served on a jury? You seem to be one of those people that actually believesthe lawyers when they make the case for a witness to be termed as an "expert." Anyone can find "experts."