• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police are fighting teen gun culture

2a4all

imported post

Police are fighting teen gun culture Newport News plans another gun buyback for next month. Hampton will "push harder" to highlight the dangers of firearms.

By DAVID MACAULAY |247-7838 November 18, 2008 Police are set to prioritize the escalating juvenile gun culture on the Peninsula with programs such as a new gun buyback after the shooting deaths of four teenagers in Hampton and Newport News in as many months.

Newport News police will hold a second gun buyback next month, while Hampton Police Chief Chuck Jordan said he will "push harder" on educational initiatives to highlight the dangers of firearms.

The shooting death of 14-year-old Xavier Denzell Barringer-Blakeney in Hampton at 1:30 a.m. Saturday brought to six the number of teens shot on the Peninsula and in Surry since August and highlighted the apparent prevalence of guns among young people. A 16-year-old and a 15-year-old from Newport News have been charged in the killing.

Xavier led a short but troubled life. At 12, he was sent to juvenile detention for stealing a Jeep with a 14-year-old and going on a joy ride that ended with the death of a 33-year-old Hampton woman when the Jeep crashed into her home.

Related links So far this year, 14 people aged 21 and under have been killed on the Peninsula, in Isle of Wight and in Surry. Four of them were under 18. And three of the juvenile deaths took place in the last two months.

In 2007, seven 16- and 17-year-olds were killed on the streets of Newport News alone.

Jordan said there had been a recent upsurge in youth violence in the city. Police will continue a zero-tolerance approach on homicides that has led to a 100 percent arrest record this year, while educational programs in the city are targeted at young people and families.

"There is no doubt that youth violence is an issue of today," Jordan said. "The numbers suggest that young people with handguns committing violent acts seems to be going up."

Jordan said there are plenty of laws preventing young people from having guns.

"The issue is where they are getting these guns and why they feel as though they have to settle arguments and disagreements in a way that results in violence," he said.

"There seems to be a culture with the youth that they can stay out at 1:30 in the morning and they can possess handguns when maybe years ago, young people would never have thought of possessing a handgun at 12, 13 or 14 years of age unless you were going hunting under direct adult supervision."

Jordan said although some children find "glamour" in guns, a large number of teenagers are not tempted by violence and support the police in tackling it.

Targeting information about the dangers of guns and gangs at parents is vital, he said. Hampton started a campaign to enlist parents and groups such as Parent Teacher Associations and civic organizations four years ago when gangs started to become a real issue in the city, he said.

Jordan called for greater parental involvement.

"Anything that puts young people in danger needs to be dealt with by adults."

Jordan said the recent spike in youth gun crimes needs to be put in perspective.

"Even though we've had a slight increase in terms of the murder rate for juveniles, this is the lowest we've been in over two decades ... education and prevention has helped," he said. "We are going to push it harder and get the information out there more."

Jordan said Hampton police made quick arrests in all the homicides. "The message becomes clear: If you commit an offense in Hampton, you will face the legal consequences."

In Newport News, the dangers of young people with guns was illustrated in December when a 15-year-old boy shot a woman in the hand in Patrick Henry Mall's parking lot during the Christmas shopping season. He was sentenced to five years and 10 months behind bars.

In an interview at the end of last year, Newport News Police Chief James Fox said juveniles with guns was one of his biggest concerns, and the Patrick Henry Mall incident could have easily left more victims.

digg_url = 'http://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-local_teendeaths_1118nov18,0,5367171.story'; "I think we've seen more young kids with guns," he said. "A young person with a gun doesn't have the maturity if something goes wrong during a robbery — they're quick to use the gun."

Newport News police spokesman Harold Eley said Monday that police plan to hold another gun buyback next month.

Last year's event netted 359 firearms: 70 semiautomatic pistols, 112 revolvers, 83 shotguns, 76 rifles and 18 other weapons.

"There will always be guns, but we want to get the community involved in getting them off the streets," Eley said.

TFred

imported post

2a4all wrote:
(Police Chief Chuck) Jordan said there had been a recent upsurge in youth violence in the city. Police will continue a zero-tolerance approach on homicides that has led to a 100 percent arrest record this year, while educational programs in the city are targeted at young people and families.
Pardon my exasperation, but what in the heck is that supposed to mean!?!?!?

TFred

richarcm

imported post

Can you protest these events or set up avcdl tent adjacent to them? Maybe offer a buyback program at better returns on the same premises and raffle off these guns? How far can you legally cancel out their efforts on the same premises?

suntzu

imported post

Gun buybacks are a horrible idea. Either they cannot or will not understand that paying $25 or $50 for a gun isn't going to solve the problems with violent crime--here is a novel idea--why NOT actually ENFORCE the laws and put the people who should be in jail IN JAIL and take those who should not be in jail for petty offenses and set them free?

Here is another novel idea--why not adopt the ideas of Singapore on people such as rapists, and thieves and drug dealers, and other small criminals and publically cane them--boys as well as girls? I guarantee you, it would not take more than a time or two of getting a bamboo cane taken to their butts before they get the idea...

hsmith

imported post

There is a big difference between a "gun culture" that promotes violence and one that promotes sport.

This statement throws those who promote sport and self defense in with drug users who use the barrel of the gun to make their point.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

TFred wrote:
2a4all wrote:
(Police Chief Chuck) Jordan said there had been a recent upsurge in youth violence in the city. Police will continue a zero-tolerance approach on homicides that has led to a 100 percent arrest record this year, while educational programs in the city are targeted at young people and families.
Pardon my exasperation, but what in the heck is that supposed to mean!?!?!?

TFred

It means we'll arrest anybody in the vicinity of a homicide--even obvious self-defense. Then sort it out, and if we can't sort it out, we'll accuse somebody we think we have even a slight chance of wrongfully convicting.

Idiots. They don't even realize how they're undermining themselves with their PR-spin.

Somehow the rest of the country has a certain level of unsolved murders. Yet, the super-hero, Jedi,pre-crimedetectives in his city have a 100% arrest record.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

2a4all quoted:
SNIP Newport News police will hold a second gun buyback next month, while Hampton Police Chief Chuck Jordan said he will "push harder" on educational initiatives to highlight the dangers of firearms.

Knuckleheads. Rather than make gunssuper-scary, why not teach people how to be safe with them. Manipulation, that's what it is.

Of course, it doesn't work on the criminals.

dbc3804

imported post

2a4all wrote:
Xavier led a short but troubled life. At 12, he was sent to juvenile detention for stealing a Jeep with a 14-year-old and going on a joy ride that ended with the death of a 33-year-old Hampton woman when the Jeep crashed into her home.

Police will continue a zero-tolerance approach on homicides that has led to a 100 percent arrest record this year, while educational programs in the city are targeted at young people and families.

If the police are really comitted to a zero-tolerance approach on homicides, how did thisthug get back on the street after killing a woman with a jeep two years earlier? I'd say he got the death sentence that he deserved. Oh, right, he's just a young impressionable child.

mlands

imported post

This is the sameold urban ignorantgun approach to reducing crime inWashington, DCthatnever works, and never will work. Whataknee jerktunnel vision way of solving crime.

Decoligny

imported post

hsmith wrote:
There is a big difference between a "gun culture" that promotes violence and one that promotes sport.

This statement throws those who promote sport and self defense in with drug users who use the barrel of the gun to make their point.
This is Gun Culture

youth_league_103.jpg

This is Gang Culture

Rodriguez00.jpg

Glock27Bill

imported post

richarcm wrote:
Can you protest these events or set up avcdl tent adjacent to them? Maybe offer a buyback program at better returns on the same premises and raffle off these guns? How far can you legally cancel out their efforts on the same premises?

Would YOU want to be in possession of a gun purchased this way? Don't think that I would.

Regarding the article, I have no idea how anyone can crack the gang culture. The History Channel frequently runs a series on gangs in America, it's enraging and frightening all at the same time.

Buybacks are of course a joke. It's as though they think these kids are trying to find a way to get rid of their guns they illegally obtained in the first place, and $20 will sway them. There's an obvious admission of ignorance.

As was stated by another poster, the 14 year old car jacker/murderer was back on the streets for all his friends to see that there are no consequences for the most heinous of crimes.

In a free society, you need to hold everyone accountable for their actions, with the PRIMARY GOAL being to keep the rest of us safe.

Want to try something else in addition to this, fine.

Want to try something else INSTEAD of this, I cry foul.

mlands

imported post

One gun I have is a real piece of crap rifle that was given to me a few years ago. It is worth $10.00 and they can buy it for more than it's worth.

smccomas

imported post

Gun buy backs are counter productive in the since that it could encourage people to steal guns then they have someplace to sell them.

Point about the kid that was killed, he was flippin 14 what was he doing out at 1:30 AM?

suntzu

imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:
richarcm wrote:

Would YOU want to be in possession of a gun purchased this way? Don't think that I would.

Regarding the article, I have no idea how anyone can crack the gang culture. The History Channel frequently runs a series on gangs in America, it's enraging and frightening all at the same time.

Want to "crack" the gang culture? This nation could not only crack the gang culture, but break its back. How about this for an idea--Draconian it may be--but still....round up all gang members and publically cane them and make it quite clear what is expected of them from this point forward, and put them all on a chain gang and make them work on public works projects, and then make them go to school in the evenings and learn how to actually WORK for a living--and then keep them locked up until they get the idea of "hey--you know what--maybe being a gang member just isn't worth it now"....

Buybacks are of course a joke. It's as though they think these kids are trying to find a way to get rid of their guns they illegally obtained in the first place, and $20 will sway them. There's an obvious admission of ignorance.

The powers that be simply don't care...they have to do something to show the people how "tough" they are on crime.

As was stated by another poster, the 14 year old car jacker/murderer was back on the streets for all his friends to see that there are no consequences for the most heinous of crimes.

That is why the death penalty should be applicable for heinous crimes and it should be PUBLIC....bring back hanging in the town square, or on the court house lawns...make it quite public for everyone to see.

In a free society, you need to hold everyone accountable for their actions, with the PRIMARY GOAL being to keep the rest of us safe.

Absolutely

Want to try something else in addition to this, fine.

Want to try something else INSTEAD of this, I cry foul.

How about actually locking up violent offenders--or executing them? There are some crimes for which society should absolutely call for the worst penalty--death. I would include wanton, premediated murder of someone, rape or murder of a child, incest, and drug dealing to children, or having children deal drugs. I would also think that for death to apply--there should be at least 2 witnesses who actually saw the crime. For other crimes I think society should bring back public humilation--flogging would be a good example--and make the same punishment available to both sexes--men as well as women...if they can commit the crime-they can take the punishment that goes along with it, and if there are two or more witnesses to a capital offense--I would think they should have an express lane to the gallows--that way there is no long prison wait while the appeals process is carried out infinitum.

VaGunTrader

imported post

suntzu wrote:
Here is another novel idea--why not adopt the ideas of Singapore on people such as rapists, and thieves and drug dealers, and other small criminals and publically cane them--boys as well as girls? I guarantee you, it would not take more than a time or two of getting a bamboo cane taken to their butts before they get the idea...

I've been wishing for that since I heard about it back in the mid 90s when that American boy was convicted of vandalizing cars and they were going to cane his ass. Clinton even tried to get the Singapore gov not to cane him, but he got it !!:shock:

But you have to remember that this is a country where you have to be careful how you punish your own child. Social Serives find out you whip your kids ass and they want to bring charges against you.....thats the probelm with youths in this country.

mkl

imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:
Regarding the article, I have no idea how anyone can crack the gang culture.  The History Channel frequently runs a series on gangs in America, it's enraging and frightening all at the same time.

Make drugs legal. Watch gangs disappear.
Making drugs legal would destroy their profit center. No more fighting over turf. If you aren't selling drugs, you don't care about street corners. No more robbery for drugs if the price is down from the over inflated blackmarket prices.
Gun crime goes way down, gun rights get harder to attack.

Sea_Chicken

imported post

the profit center is already losing some of it's steam. The gangs around here make more money from home invasions then they do selling drugs. They get 4 or 5 people together toknock on your door and kick it in when you go to see whos there, kill everyone in the house walk out with your plasma. I remember a while back there was even one where two guys broke into a house, shot and killed a grandma holding an infant and killed the baby too. these assholes need to be wiped off the face of the earth, and yet after all that they want me to turn in my evil handgun and defend my family with a cell phone while they kill me and rape my wife because I call 911.

:cuss::banghead::cuss:

mkl

imported post

Sea_Chicken wrote:
the profit center is already losing some of it's steam. The gangs around here make more money from home invasions then they do selling drugs. They get 4 or 5 people together to knock on your door and kick it in when you go to see whos there, kill everyone in the house walk out with your plasma.

A $2000 plasma split 4-5 ways is a lot less than they can make selling drugs. They probably just need the $2000 as an investment to buy drugs so they can start dealing.
Or they are drug addicts who need the $2000 to score some drugs.
Either way, if drugs were legal I think the problem you are talking about would be diminished.

suntzu

imported post

trx680 wrote:
suntzu wrote:

I've been wishing for that since I heard about it back in the mid 90s when that American boy was convicted of vandalizing cars and they were going to cane his ass. Clinton even tried to get the Singapore gov not to cane him, but he got it !!:shock:

But you have to remember that this is a country where you have to be careful how you punish your own child. Social Serives find out you whip your kids ass and they want to bring charges against you.....thats the probelm with youths in this country.
But this is where it actually gets good--make it legal to where parents can discipline their children reasonably without the fear of the "state" involving itself--and that includes corporal punishment. No one said anything when 40 or 50 years ago parents took their sons and daughters and took a strap to them, or a belt or even a paddle....make it legal to be reasonable, and then legalize public caning for such offenses as rape, drug dealing, vandalism, theft, shoplifting and so on--and make it legal to publically cane anyone over the age of say 16...-you obviously would not want to really hurt a teen--you just want to make it very uncomfortable for them to sit down for a while, but you would not want to hurt them. Say for those between 13-16--use an old fashioned strap on them....Reasonable discipline is not abuse.

make crime expensive to commit and would be criminals might think twice.

make parents be parents again and let the state mind its own business when parents reasonably discipline their children.