• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mcleansboro, IL Help

zer0cool

imported post

Hi all, I'm a visitor from Kentucky. My girlfriend and I may be making a road trip to Mcleansboro to pick up a white german shepherd puppy. Since I'm from KY i'm used to just strapping my G23 to my hip and going about my business, I know that IL plays by ALOT different rules and was wondering how I can find out how or IF I can carry for the short time that I'm there. And if I can't how to store it because we will be driving through Indiana and I will be carrying through the Hoosier state. Sorry for the long post, all information is appreciated.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Unless you are a cop, Illinois is a do not even consider carrying state.

Unload it, put it in a gun case, and leave it in the trunk while traveling through Illinois. Avoid Chicago/Cook County as they have more restrictive laws there.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'd add that I would suggest that the gun case be locked as well. If possible, put any ammo/mags in a separate locked case from the unloaded pistol and everything in the trunk, or if in a SUV, in a compartment as far away from the driver/passengers as possible. When I drive all the way across IL, not only do I lock my unloaded pistol in a gun case, I remove the barrel from the slide, reassemble and put the barrel in the foam next to it so it can easily be seen if the case is opened. If the barrel is removed, there is no way for them to claim that it is in a usable state and also no way that I have accidentally left a round in the pistol (an accident that cost a fraternity brother his FOID card and a lot of money).

If you are pulled over DO NOT volunteer any information as to having a firearm or ammo in the vehicle and if you have a CCW be sure that when you access your DL and insurance that it cannot be seen in your wallet by say an officer standing by your window.

I have heard more than one story of ILSP in Southern IL, upon spotting a MO CCW in someone's wallet when they were pulling out a DL, turning the stop into an interrogation about any firearms in the vehicle up to demanding to see them and how they are being transported. They may all very well be BS, however, I don't take any chances in IL.

Big Chris

imported post

Here you go straight from the Illinois State Police:

http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/firearmsfaq.cfm

Non- residents must be legally eligible to possess or acquire firearms and ammunition in their state of residence. It is recommended that, in order to be in compliance with all statutes, non-residents transport all firearms:
  1. Unloaded, and
  2. Enclosed in a case, and
  3. Not immediately accessible or broken down in a nonfunctioning state.
Also here is a PDF from them that you might want to carry with you: http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/1-154.pdf

junglebob

imported post

South of I64 in Illinois is usually more gun friendly, though unloaded encased and not immediately accessible is the way to go. Most of our legislators down here support license to carry republicans and democrats alike. Several democrat legislators have introduced LTC legislation for years and it never gets out of commitee for a vote.

If stopped using your 4th amendment rights and not submitting to a search is always a good idea.

You might even see a "drug and guns checkpoint" somewhere. I have heard of these being set up or at least signs put up for them. Just don't do something silly like making an illegal U-turn to avoid one. This gives them a reason to stop you. I'm not saying these are common, I've lived here 28 years and never seen one. I do have a friend who saw signs for one.

junglebob

imported post

I wouldn't be concerned about transporting an unloaded cased, not immediately accessible handgun to McCleansboro. You are probably going to be in pretty gun friendly territory for Illinois.

I talked with a police chief from acity in the next county over about any transportation ordinances in his town. As in other cities in southern Illinois, I haven't found any ordinances that are stricter than the state law on transportation, which is slightly better for Illinois residents with a Firearm Owners ID card. Anyway the chief said that they have a lot of hunters go through and usually only charge someone with unlawful use of weapons if something else is involved, maybe drugs, and not just for improperly transporting. He said the have maybe a couple people a year charged with UUW. Go to north eastern Illinois north of I80 and you are definatelyin a non-gun friendly environment. Of course you results may very.

zer0cool

imported post

Thanks for your help everybody. I was able to talk her out of it so I don't have to worry about it thank god. There were several reasons behind this, one of them was that I would feel naked without myG23. Plus shes so used to me having it, she wasn't too happy about me not being able toget toit if needed. So if we have to leave the tri-state area to get a dog, we will find a 2A friendly state to purchase from.

Thanks again everybody.