• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any interest in Civil Dis/Firearms Outreach at Waterfront Park?

grishnav

imported post

I noticed that Waterfront Park (at least, I think that's what it's called) in downtown Seattle had a "1st amendment zone" where people were welcome to stand by and express "their first amendment rights," which I'm assuming is a convoluted way of saying that the "1st amendment zone" isn't subject to the normal restrictions on distributing handbills and the like codified in the SMCs.

I was thinking that a few of us might gather, OCing, and hand out pamphlets/answer questions/etc. I was thinking a Sat or Sun, early afternoon, weather permitting. Nothing firmed up yet, and I'm probably busy this weekend, so don't misunderstand, just speaking generally at this point...

Keep in mind that this is an act civil disobedience -- at least until we get the Seattle Parks Gun Ban off the books -- and as such there is a high degree of probability of getting arrested. Even though it's a safe bet that the parks gun ban is preempted, it's still on the books, so anybody participating would have to be ready to lose part of a weekend and have enough cash available to retain an attorney, probably through at least one level of appeal, to get the charges thrown out (I'll leave suing the city to recover damages to your discretion).

With that disclaimer, is there any other interest in something like this?

j2l3

imported post

There is no Parks Gun Ban on the books.

Unless I am missing something, it is still in the planning stage and has not been implemented.

grishnav

imported post

j2l3 wrote:
There is no Parks Gun Ban on the books.

Unless I am missing something, it is still in the planning stage and has not been implemented.
You are mistaken:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/17368.html

It's the administrative rule directing trespass for posession on city property ... man that was a mouthful ... that's in process my Nickels. The parks gun ban has been there for a while, and was, IIRC, passed prior to WA's strong preemption.

j2l3

imported post

That is a repealed and preempted bit of code. The city has been to lazy to remove it and is hoping they won't have to. THEY are wrong.

There isno legal ban in place.

grishnav

imported post

j2l3 wrote:
That is a repealed and preempted bit of code. The city has been to lazy to remove it and is hoping they won't have to. THEY are wrong.

There isno legal ban in place.

I agree.

However, until a judge agrees, we could be arrested for violating it. And the first judge probably won't agree. But then again, might get lucky. :)

And with it still on the books, and with cops all hot about King Nickel's Gun Ban (which still doesn't exist), I'd say there's a good chance they might want to make an issue out of it.

Then again, I spent all day Saturday OCing around Pike Place Market, and then ended up at Waterfront park and hung around there for a few hours with no problems before I took the Metro back home. (And both Seattle PD and the Pike Place Security guys saw I had a firearm and chose not to make an issue of it.) So who knows. We might just spend a day passing out fliers and educating the public (which would be my hope and true goal for the event).

That said, I wouldn't feel right about it if somebody ended up showing up and getting arrested when they weren't prepared too -- even if they ultimately prevailed -- so I'm just giving fair warning that it's a possibility, more for my own conscience than anything. :)

j2l3

imported post

grishnav wrote:
And with it still on the books, and with cops all hot about King Nickel's Gun Ban (which still doesn't exist), I'd call it more likely than not that an arrest results.

Then again, I spent all day Saturday OCing around Pike Place Market, and then ended up at Waterfront park and hung around there for a few hours with no problems before I took the Metro back home. (And both Seattle PD and the Pike Place Security guys saw I had a firearm and chose not to make an issue of it.) So who knows. We might just spend a day passing out fliers and educating the public (which would be my hope and true goal for the event).
I respect your comments and experience. I have read with interest your experiences in Oregon as well. However....

Your own experience is contrary to your statement about "cops all hot about King Nickel's....."

The police have almost no interest these days. Every once in a while an officer gets a bug up his butt, but that is unusual.

grishnav

imported post

j2l3 wrote:
I respect your comments and experience. I have read with interest your experiences in Oregon as well. However....

Your own experience is contrary to your statement about "cops all hot about King Nickel's....."

The police have almost no interest these days. Every once in a while an officer gets a bug up his butt, but that is unusual.

That's true, and you're correct.

I'm still just

1) A bit new to the Washington area

2) Worried, probably a bit too much, about getting somebody else in over their head by accident.

So what it boils down to, I suppose, is:

1. I'm interested in taking advantage of this newly discovered (at least to me) "free speech" zone, by OCing, handing out fliers and answering questions, and I'm curious if there is any other interest in this sort of activism.
2. I don't want to get anyone, including myself, in over their heads or in any trouble with "teh larw," especially over a stupid repealed ordinance.

Roughly make sense?

j2l3

imported post

Completely!

I do hope you get some takers. Personally, I choose to not draw any more attention to myself than my sidearm already might. Wanting to be left alone and go about my day.

I do support those who do wish to make a more public statement though and am likely to stop by to visit if I am in town.

A little worry is a good thing, keeps us alive and out of jail....

deanf

imported post

I OCd within 50 feet of the mayor in a Seattle park, with his driver, who I'm quite confident was an SPD officer, nearby, and it wasn't a problem.

The parks ban appears to be all bark and no bite.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

deanf wrote:
I OCd within 50 feet of the mayor in a Seattle park, with his driver, who I'm quite confident was an SPD officer, nearby, and it wasn't a problem.

The parks ban appears to be all bark and no bite.
You also look like you could be part of the detail... :lol:

Me OTOH... well... lol