• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Digital Voice Recorder reviews

TFred

imported post

Lets talk about digital voice recorders! What model do you have? Where did you get it? Approximate cost?

What are the good points and bad points? Features you love, features that are missing?

I looked quite a bit, and could find no threads on this matter.

TFred

TFred

imported post

One feature that would be valuable, although I have not seen it offered on any recorders in my limited search, would be a continuous running looped overwrite mode.

You would turn your recorder on in this mode when you entered some public environment, and the recorder would start recording. It would maintain a pre-set loop period of time, say 20 minutes, recorded, overwriting the front (older than the 20 minutes) as it went along.

Until you pushed a magic button which would then enter a "normal" mode, starting at that point adding on to the previously recorded 20 minutes, until you manually stopped the recording.

This feature would give you up to 20 minutes after the actual beginning of an "encounter" to "start" the recording. No more fumbling around when you suspect you may or may not need to record an incident. This would allow the opportunity for a much more discrete activation, that is not time critical to when the most stressful conversations (the first ones) are taking place.

TFred

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

No offense, TFred.

They're just not that complicated.

You can get all the useful info readingthe makers descriptions of features.

Decide which are important to you weighed against cost.

Spend a little time figuring out where and how you'll carry it, and where you do and don't want the buttons located on the machine.

TFred

imported post

Citizen wrote:
No offense, TFred.

Spend a little time figuring out where and how you'll carry it, and where you do and don't want the buttons located on the machine.
No offense taken... but just as with every product, real life does not usually, or at least not always, match the manufacturer's advertising... :)

I see dozens of models out there, and I think there must be some wisdom to be gained from personal experience here!

TFred

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

TFred wrote:
Citizen wrote:
No offense, TFred.

No offense taken... but just as with every product, real life does not usually, or at least not always, match the manufacturer's advertising... :)

I see dozens of models out there, and I think there must be some wisdom to be gained from personal experience here!
I'd watch out for claims about the "spy" type models.

Otherwise, if Sony says it can record 145 hrs, then it probably can.

Just realize that most all probably fail to distinguish between recording time (memory capacity) and recording time (battery life).

Ric in Richmond

imported post

I love my Olympus WS-311m

Love the fact that you can plug it in as a USB and download everything and upload podcasts.

Great battery life.

Very nice!!

About $70.

Ric

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_archived_product_details.asp?id=1308&fl=2

olympus ws-311m

Built-in stereo microphone
512MB internal Flash Memory
WMA recording format
138 hours of recording time in LP mode
Six recording modes: Use STXQ, STHQ and STSP for stereo recording or HQ, LP and SP for extended recording
Variable Control Voice Actuator (VCVA) records only when sound is sensed
One long-life battery (supplied) provides 21 hours of continuous operation
The Low Cut Filter minimizes air conditioner noise and other similar noises
Organize

Five file folders, each holding up to 200 files, provide unparalleled organization
Up to 16 index marks can be set in a file
USB Storage Device can store many file types, not just audio files
Lock files to avoid accidentally erasing important information
Connect

"USB Direct" design provides direct connect to a PC
High speed USB 2.0 provides fast download times
Playback

WMA and MP3 Music Player/li>
Noise Cancel feature cuts out unwanted background noise
Voice Filter enhances the human voice by cutting low and high frequency noises during playback
Slow and fast playback speed variations
Repeat and Random playback
WOW XTTM technology provides rich bass and
three-dimensional stereo sound
Customize the sound with a built-in equalizer

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Bill in VA wrote:
I've got an Olympus VN-4100PC. IIRC I paid about $60 for it at Radio Shack and it'll record 144 hours of conversation/sound so there's no need for a continuous loop.

I have the same recorder, but with rechargeable batteries it will only record for about 5-6 hours straight on hi-fi.

Has anyone have numbers on their recorder's continuous recording abilities- where battery life limits things?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sam's Club provided an Olympus WS-210S http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1322for $20 less than suggested retail. It was a great replacement for the larger Sony IC recorder http://www.etronics.com/p-40008-sony-icdsx68dr9-sony-icdsx68dr9-digital-voice-recorder.aspx?dp=0262521222E6525253C38363F3A35703736373D3233303that was giving me troubles copying files to my computer. (It goes on sale in the Richmond Va Craig's List soon for $100 OBO with Dragon Naturally Speaking software & docking station.)

I have come to agree with Ed that wearing it in a lanyard around the neck can be a good way to use a voice recorder - especially this extremely lightweight Olympus model. Check with Grapeshot about carrying a recorder in a magazine holder - maybe not the best idea if you are not careful which way the <play> button is positioned. :lol: Also, there were comments about developing a "Bat Belt" with the holster, magazine holders, voice recorder and cellphone all hanging off my waist. Moving a few things around has ended that.

stay safe.

skidmark

Nelson_Muntz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hey TFred, don't sweat the continuous loop thing. Not necessary. Not only do most of the mainstream VRs have a long tape life - not necessarily battery life, but when you place them on record and go about your business they tape when there is sound that triggers the mic.

You'll find that when you play back a recording the time will be compressed, as it doesn't actually record (or much with clothing rustling) until there is sound.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

skidmark wrote:
I have come to agree with Ed that wearing it in a lanyard around the neck can be a good way to use a voice recorder - especially this extremely lightweight Olympus model.
I like it that way best.. After I start record.. I slide the HOLD switch so that bumping buttons does nothing. The recordings are excellent. I have all kinds.. Panasonic, Olympus, Sony. They all are about the same.. but the SOFTWARE with the panasonic was best to edit the recorded files.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Bill in VA wrote:
I've got an Olympus VN-4100PC. IIRC I paid about $60 for it at Radio Shack and it'll record 144 hours of conversation/sound so there's no need for a continuous loop.
Bought the same recorder, Olympus VN-4100PC, as a factory refurbished unit for $38.00 with full warrantee - have had the need for it twice already and it performed like a champ!

BTW - no more batbelt - I just drop it in my shirt pocket - does fine there.

Yata hey

KBCraig

imported post

While I don't have one, for those who own an iPhone or iPod Touch, there are some good recording apps available.

Just check the App Store... it's constantly being updated.

zoom6zoom

imported post

I wouldn't worry too much about the looping... I just got a Sony, it will record over 260 hours in LP mode. Tested it out at this weeks VCDL meeting, having it in my shirt pocket while sitting in the second row it picked up everything very legibly.

Glock27Bill

imported post

I got an Olympus and tested it out at a restaurant.

I was shocked at how much of the ambient conversations it picked up, crystal clear even though the recorder was in my shirt pocket.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

I bought this one. It is not the best quality, and is a little thick, but it holds 1GB, and there is little chance that an LEO would know what it is and take it. :D

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3093

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=15074&forum_id=55

sku_3093_1.jpg