• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Digital Voice Recorder reviews

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Nelson_Muntz wrote:
Does it have any blinking lights anywhere when recording, Sarge? That's usually the giveaway that gets their attention.
Yes, it does. If you look at the (upside down) photo, you can see them on the 5, 6 and 7 o'clock position. The 6 and 7 will flash back and forth.

Custom Volusia

imported post

Well, I picked up a RCA RP5120 w/microphone from Radio Shack. The DVR has 104hrs of recording, USB cord, Automatic Voice Activated Cord, Date/Time stamp, LCD screen, Key Lock. It was 33 bucks @ Wal-Mart. The mic was 25 bucks at Radio Shack.

Just tried it out with the microphone. I spoke at a normal level at about where the microphone will be and it picked up everything (expected). My wife spoke at a very LOW level at about 15 feet away (she's sick) and it was audible, quiet, but audible (surprising, I could barely hear her). This is all inside with no real ambient sound, but works great so far! I will take it for a real test run tomorrow and check back in.

Custom Volusia

imported post

Took the RCA for a go today. Put it in my pants pocket and ran the wired mic to the inside of my left sleeve where I used the tie clip to keep it on.

Picked up everything fine. Very happy with it especially for 30 bucks!

TFred

imported post

Doing some prelimiary research in this area, it seems one major feature that needs to be pointed out is the ability to connect and download the voice recordings to a computer.

The lower priced models don't have this capability, but of course the higher priced ones do.

For those that can off load the files, the software features also seem to be rather important. Some I have seen can convert the raw .wav files to .mp3 format, saving tons of space. Others don't seem to have that ability.

TFred

Custom Volusia

imported post

TFred wrote:
Doing some prelimiary research in this area, it seems one major feature that needs to be pointed out is the ability to connect and download the voice recordings to a computer.

The lower priced models don't have this capability, but of course the higher priced ones do.

For those that can off load the files, the software features also seem to be rather important. Some I have seen can convert the raw .wav files to .mp3 format, saving tons of space. Others don't seem to have that ability.

TFred
my cheap RCA has a USB. Haven't tried it yet. will soon.

TFred

imported post

My local Target store has 3 different Sony Voice Recorder models on sale for $10 off the regular price through 12/15/2008. Although their web page does not list all 3 models, it does appear to be a company wide "temporary price cut".

Just FYI...

TFred