• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Jacksonville Mall,,,,Jacksonville,NC

SPRINGFIELD_45_ACP

imported post

Jacksonville Mall,,,,,Jacksonville ,NC have removed the NO WEAPONS sign @ the entrance near TONYS PIZZA on the right & ULTRA BEAUTY on the left...However the rear enrty on the anchor stores SEARS,,BELKS,,,,JC-PENNY & the VISION CENTER still have NO WEAPONS signs posted....When the anchor stores are entered from inside the mall NO SIGNS....I forsee a lovely shopping season with Jacksonville Mall until the signs go back up...................:celebrate

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I'd be willing to bet that they didn't remove the signs. Rather, some stupid kid probably did. I've heard that the "no weapons" signs area prime vandalism target for misguided teenagers.

I wandered through there with an empty holster one day since I didn't feel like going through the possible problems of arguing that I entered through a door with no sign. Surprisingly no one seemed to notice.

If the Jacksonville Mall security is anything like the New Bern mall security, then they'll probably make a stupid fuss about seeing you with a firearm.A New Bern security punk (nothing against security in general..this guy was a punk, though) tried the whole "Halt! You must leave the premises immediately and secure that weapon in your vehicle before you re-enter, or I will be forced to ban you from the mall!" crap. The funny thing was, it wasn't a gun that he saw. It was a pocket knife, about 1.5" long, that I used to cut a torn piece off of the bottom of my buddy's pant leg. I told the kid I'd just put it back in my pocket and he could go back to minding his own business. He mumbled and walked away lol.

HardChrome

imported post

I got hassled by security at my local mall, Coliseum Mall in Hampton, VA a number of years ago for having trauma shears on my belt while on my way to work at the local ER. Trauma shears by the way are blunt and made for cutting clothing rather than tissue.

Kaliga

imported post

Hey Springfield, I recently just started open carrying. I have a concealed carry permit and also just recently became an NRA Pistol Instructor. I am stationed on Camp Lejeune. I have not had any problems OC. I have not OC in the mall. About the only place that I have OC that I was a little concerned would be a problem is Wal Mart. But I have done it twice there now and have not had a single problem. I do dress very nice, Khaki's, dress shoes, dress shirt, so maybe that helps me. How had OC been for you in the Jacksonville area?

JManier

imported post

hey guys, new guy here. while going thru the long drawn out process of getting a purchase permit in my county i came across some usefull information.

oc is legal we all know that. but did you know that if you have a CHP and enter a store that has sings posted "no guns" you can be charged with a felony, but if you don't have a CHP it is a misdemeanor.

information given to me by my local police chief. thought i would pass it on. hoping to OC real soon.

JManier

imported post

hey guys, new guy here. while going thru the long drawn out process of getting a purchase permit in my county i came across some usefull information.

oc is legal we all know that. but did you know that if you have a CHP and enter a store that has sings posted "no guns" you can be charged with a felony, but if you don't have a CHP it is a misdemeanor.

information given to me by my local police chief. thought i would pass it on. hoping to OC real soon. and wal-mart does not look to kindly on the OC, they don't post signs but someone from loss prevention is sure to be on your 6 at all times. my wife works for walmart. some more helpful info to pass on i guess.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

JManier wrote:

information given to me by my local police chief. thought i would pass it on. hoping to OC real soon. and wal-mart does not look to kindly on the OC, they don't post signs but someone from loss prevention is sure to be on your 6 at all times. my wife works for walmart. some more helpful info to pass on i guess.

Welcome! Could you do us a favor and cite the laws you're referring to?

As far as wal-mart goes, I'm surprised you say that. I have never had a problem at the Jacksonville wal-mart, and I've been there quite a lot lol. The only wal-mart that I had the slightest problems at was the new one here in Havelock, and that's just because it was a new store and they didn't know any better :D. Is your wife a manager, or part of loss prevention?

JManier

imported post

i cant site any laws regarding the charges, just passing on what my police chief told me. i thought it was kinda backwards myself. if you have a CHP you should "know" better. my wife is a sales associate, been with the company for 10 years. as an employee she can not OC or CC in the store during working hours, but they do not have an official standing on OC for the public.

Prophet

imported post

JManier wrote:
i cant site any laws regarding the charges, just passing on what my police chief told me. i thought it was kinda backwards myself. if you have a CHP you should "know" better. my wife is a sales associate, been with the company for 10 years. as an employee she can not OC or CC in the store during working hours, but they do not have an official standing on OC for the public.
Yeah...i've had cops tell me A LOT of things regarding OC'ing...like if i have a CCW then i CAN'T Open carry. I tend not to listen to cops when they quote opinions as if they were laws.

HardChrome

imported post

Happens a lot. Had a rookie tell me that my CC permit was not good in his county, only in the city from where I got it. He went to his patrol car twice for clarification with someone from HQ and still came up with, "Well, I'm pretty sure it's not good here." :)

SPRINGFIELD_45_ACP

imported post

Kaliga wrote:
Hey Springfield, I recently just started open carrying. I have a concealed carry permit and also just recently became an NRA Pistol Instructor. I am stationed on Camp Lejeune. I have not had any problems OC. I have not OC in the mall. About the only place that I have OC that I was a little concerned would be a problem is Wal Mart. But I have done it twice there now and have not had a single problem. I do dress very nice, Khaki's, dress shoes, dress shirt, so maybe that helps me. How had OC been for you in the Jacksonville area?
Kaliga I do open carry but not in the Jacksonville Mall don't want to push my luck..Quit a accomplishment becoming a NRA pistol instructor ..No major problems with OC in the Jacksonville & surrounding areas however i am used to the stares & the glances at my Spingfield Xd 45 with thumb safety.....Possible we can ecan get together & along with who ever wants to participate in a OC carry event for Jacksonville,NC. I look forword to you reply...........thanks

JohnHoliday

imported post

When I open carry, I really think no one notices. Not sure why, but I never notice stares/glances. I'm starting to Open Carry alot lately, its more comfortable for me. I went to Walmart, and got gas today, and I don't think anyone noticed.

Kaliga

imported post

Springfield, thank you for replying. Getting together for an event sounds interesting. Something I would like to do. Let me know what you think.

BRobb19

NEAR Chapel Hill/Durham, North Carolina, USA
imported post

I OC in Wal-mart several times per week. I live next to one walmart, and work next to another. I OC just about everywhere now, except for when I have been drinking (in which case I of course do not carry at all). I've had cops spot me in walmart, they dont say anything to me. I am generally dressed in fancy clothes because of my job, so certainly that helps my self-image more-so than if I were to walk around wearing parachute pants and Dwayne Wade basketball jerseys put on backwards, although that isn't the point. It isn't illegal to OC in Walmart, and most cops in general respect that a select few of us choose to exercise our rights.

JohnHoliday

imported post

^^ Yeah, I'm really starting to OC a lot. Its more comfortable, and I've had no negative attention from LEO or civilians yet.

RayBurton72

imported post

JManier wrote:
did you know that if you have a CHP and enter a store that has sings posted "no guns" you can be charged with a felony, but if you don't have a CHP it is a misdemeanor.

This is NOT true in North Carolina. Failure to head a no weapons sign as a permit holder is a class 2 misdemeanor (and immediately arrestable by any LEO who see you do it)

If one is open carrying, the only potential charge would be trespassing (but is probably not immediately arrestable, unless one is asked to leave and refuses)

CITATIONS:

NCGS 14-415.11(c) "A permit does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun . . . where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises.

NCGS 14-415.21(b) "A person who violates the provisions of this Article . . . is guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor."

Both statutes are part of Article 54B, therefore violation of 14-415.11(c) is a Class 2 Misdemeanor.

There is in fact no statute addressing what, if any, criminal liability one might have for open carrying past a no weapons sign (on private property).

Sigcarter44

New bern mall and surrounding area

Hey guys, anyone had an iss OCing in new been mall and the town of new bern? Any problems

Thanx

bc.cruiser

WM corporate policy is to follow state law. If a LEO is telling you otherwise, throw the BS flag. An employee may be confused as to the fact that employees are not allowed to have guns, but customers are. If an employee tells you otherwise, leave, disarm, and come back to speak to the manager. Get all names if possible, and notify corporate HQ if necessary.

I have never had a problem at a WM whether the encounter was with LEO, staff, or customers. The only time a WM employee said anything (Hopkinsville, KY), it was to advise me not to leave my revolver in the car while it was being serviced (no chance of that).

Thanks to RayBurton72 for his post.:)