• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question on open carry in vehicles...

TheMrMitch

imported post

There are different rules for different states.

Basically.....If you enter your vehicle, the weapon will not be visible and a CC permit must be in possession.:dude:

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

TheMrMitch wrote:
There are different rules for different states.

Basically.....If you enter your vehicle, the weapon will not be visible and a CC permit must be in possession.:dude:

But NOT in Louisiana, where state law defines having a gun in the car as a constitutionally protected activity. Here, you can openly have the gun on you, or concealed, or anywhere within the car you like.

Check the laws for your state (and, gunner78,update your profile so the rest of us know what that state is).

TheMrMitch

imported post

Yeah....that's why I mentioned different rules. In Kentucky, if weapon is ON YOUR PERSON and hidden, you must have the CDWL. Otherwise it can be in the open or in glove box.:)

JDriver1.8t

imported post

I have two holsters; one on my hip and one buckled into the passenger seat.

When I get in the car it goes from hip to passenger seat. I don't like handling the gun that much in public, but it is what I have to do in NC.

darthmord

imported post

Virginia resident here. When I OC in my car, I typically put my firearm into the drink holder in the center console section. It's plainly visible from either side of the car if you are viewing inside by the front windows (not visible from windshield unless you are sitting on my hood :X).

I also have an external hip holster (Serpa Blackhawk) and it too is fairly visible with a firearm inserted.

That aside, I do have my CC and do CC in my car, depending on what I'm doing, how busy I am, etc.

The main thing about OC in VA is the firearm must be plainly visible to be considered OC. Under the seat, covered by a coat, in the glovebox, etc would all be CC. Sitting on the dash, in the seat next to you, in/on the console, etc would be OC as long as they are plainly visible (and recognizable as a firearm iirc).

I personally don't put it on my dash or in the seat next to me (unless I have it cased and locked). I don't like my firearms to bounce around and slide around / fall willy-nilly. That just ain't proper gun control. ;)

dodge310

imported post

In Kentucky the only place to legally have a handgun inside the vehicle is in the Glove Box. This has to be a Factory glove box, not something you have added. (Some people use to add places to carry stuff in older vehicles)

You can legally keep it in the Glove box, loaded or unloaded, locked or unlocked...

This does depend on each state. Always check with the state your in or going to be in.

foxcall

imported post

so, I've got a left handed holster (not a paddle, clip-on, etc.). If I drive my car, would that be considered concealed? Can I just slide it up from the 8 o'clock to the 11 o'clock position to make it more visible?

damn all these rules

dodge310

imported post

Not in Kentucky you can't. If you get in a vehicle with a gun on, it is considered concealed.

Think about this. Can a cop see you going for that gun? You could easily pull that from your side and shoot the cop without them even knowing you had one.

In KY, the only Legal place to keep a Handgun is in the Glove box. Must be a factory glove box.

Just keep in mind that if you can't see someone reaching for it from behind the car, then it is illegal. (Also keep in mind that you should never reach for you glove box or anything until the cop is next to your window talking to you, then inform them that you have the gun and where it is at)

BoomBoom

imported post

I agree Ninelivez, I sure do love my state of Nevada. After all we are "Battle Born".Carry as you like inside or outside of a vehicle makes now difference.

I have had a few "Kalifornians" try to start crap in various public gatherings in Reno and as soon as they see my firearm they usually stop what they are doing and leave the area. It is assumed that if you carry in public you KNOW how to use your weapon.