• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Travelling from New Mexico ....

originalhandy

imported post

At the end of the week and I am looking to bring my handgun. I dont expect I will OC there but I want to know about travel in general. Can I have my gun concealed and loaded in the car whle travelling ? I was told by a local here that I can but I just want to confirm.

VLR4

imported post

I had to drive from Washington State to Texas. I called the state patrol and they said as long as I have them seperated I should be fine. This was before I knew there was a map letting me know what state would except my CPL. If I were you I would check the map and if worried call the state patrol. I know everything will be fine B/C I was stopped in New Mexico and the officer asked for my license ect, ect and my wife opened the glove box and my gun fell out before I could tell him. There were guns in mine and my wife's face. I explained I had a CPL and everything turned out fine.

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

I'm confused. First, could you please list your location in your profile?

Second, precisely which state's gun laws are you researching?

New Mexico's concealed weapons law exempts unloaded firearms and firearms in vehicles. See N.M. Stat. § 30-7-2(link to all N.M. Stat.). You may carry a firearm, loaded or unloaded, open or concealed, in a vehicle in New Mexico regardless of whether you have a CHL.

Texas law completely prohibits OC. Tex. Penal Code § 46.02(a-1) generally allows CC in a vehicle without a CHL. Of course, if you have a CHL, you may CC but not OC in Texas. See Tex. Penal Code § 46.035.

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

you may have a loaded handgun in your car in the state of TX as long as you are not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun and the handgun is concealed, nor can you be part of a criminally associated gang.