Here's my $0.02 on targets used for recreating self defense scenarios:
- unless I'm approached by someone wearing a ninja suit, the standard FBI / LEO silhouette target really doesn't help me.
- rather, I cut some silhouette shaped pieces of cardboard from large moving boxes oreven better, picked up some of the nearly pristine used IDPA targets left over at my range
-tape a new 8 1/2 x 11 piece of copy paper into the center of the target
- tape a photo copy of a "bad guy" face at the top of the target
- staple or clothespin an old shirt onto the target just below bad guy's face and let it drape over the piece of white paper
- short of using manequins (sic?), this is real enough for me.
My rationale - the bad guys, for the most part, look like you and I in real life -- so "dress" your targets accordingly.
We're trained to aim for center of mass - and unless you're attacked on the beach, etc. your attacker will have his c.o.m. covered by a shirt / jacket.
Aim at the c.o.m. and then pull the shirt up to see how you did.
(just remember to keep the used shirts out of the house, re: lead, smell, etc.)