• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Price on silhouettes?

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Link

I'm used to targets being ~3-4$ a piece at the range... I'm thinking about buying these for close range (3 meters) defensive practice.

Is that price right? High? Low? Right size targets?

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

!!!3$!!! I was trained on B-27 (not Smurffs) for 10 for a $1.

When I moved to Wisconsin I threw away a bale of them. My instructors had recommended keeping your targets as evidence of competency in the event of a shooting.

I don't imagine that could be done with $3 targets.

Fallschirjmäger

imported post

Three or four DOLLARS apiece at the range? HMoG, I thought $1 to $1.50 was exhorbitant. I can find the same targets online for $37/100 that my local range sells for 1.50/1.

I guess it's like Starbucks...there's markup and there is MarkUP.

David.Car

imported post

Go to www.letargets.com

They have a huge selection and prices are pretty good.

I have quite a few of these : http://www.letargets.com/estylez_item.aspx?item=ANT-5

Full size, the organs are done with a slightly different blue than the body, outside of about 3-5 yards you can't see the organs. So you can't aim for them by the outlines but when you check your target after shooting you can see what you hit.

Carolina40

imported post

Here's my $0.02 on targets used for recreating self defense scenarios:

- unless I'm approached by someone wearing a ninja suit, the standard FBI / LEO silhouette target really doesn't help me.

- rather, I cut some silhouette shaped pieces of cardboard from large moving boxes oreven better, picked up some of the nearly pristine used IDPA targets left over at my range :)

-tape a new 8 1/2 x 11 piece of copy paper into the center of the target

- tape a photo copy of a "bad guy" face at the top of the target

- staple or clothespin an old shirt onto the target just below bad guy's face and let it drape over the piece of white paper

- short of using manequins (sic?), this is real enough for me.

My rationale - the bad guys, for the most part, look like you and I in real life -- so "dress" your targets accordingly.

We're trained to aim for center of mass - and unless you're attacked on the beach, etc. your attacker will have his c.o.m. covered by a shirt / jacket.

Aim at the c.o.m. and then pull the shirt up to see how you did.

(just remember to keep the used shirts out of the house, re: lead, smell, etc.)

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Carolina40 wrote:
Here's my $0.02 on targets used for recreating self defense scenarios:

- unless I'm approached by someone wearing a ninja suit, the standard FBI / LEO silhouette target really doesn't help me.

- rather, I cut some silhouette shaped pieces of cardboard from large moving boxes oreven better, picked up some of the nearly pristine used IDPA targets left over at my range :)

-tape a new 8 1/2 x 11 piece of copy paper into the center of the target

- tape a photo copy of a "bad guy" face at the top of the target

- staple or clothespin an old shirt onto the target just below bad guy's face and let it drape over the piece of white paper

- short of using manequins (sic?), this is real enough for me.

My rationale - the bad guys, for the most part, look like you and I in real life -- so "dress" your targets accordingly.

We're trained to aim for center of mass - and unless you're attacked on the beach, etc. your attacker will have his c.o.m. covered by a shirt / jacket.

Aim at the c.o.m. and then pull the shirt up to see how you did.

(just remember to keep the used shirts out of the house, re: lead, smell, etc.)

Too much time and materials wasted if you ask me. On top of that, putting something down range that looks remotely "real" is a bad idea. Why? Because a range is supposed to be a safe area, and there aren't supposed to be any people down range. Putting a target in a shirt and pasting a photo of a real face on it could easily cause confusion. I suppose if you shoot on your own property, that part wouldn't matter.

The whole timeI was in the Marine Corps, we never worried about what our targets were wearing. We shot plain black figures almost exclusively. I've never heard of a Marine missing because the enemy didn't look like his training silhouette :D.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Just place an order from LEtargets.com

They had clearance targets for 15 cents a target, 24x35 (or whatever they were)

I Used to live in Montgomery County, MD and they had THEIR custom targets, so I ordered a few for #%(& and giggles...

110 pistol target sheets, and an add'l 10 25 meter m16A1 qual. sheets for .10 a piece, with a roll of 500 bullet repair tape thingies , for $33.51 shipped.

That comes out to about .25 cents a sheet..... and that's including the repair stickies, so I can theoretically use each target multiple times....

:D

I'll let everyone know how things are when they get in ;)