• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ccw permit class report

Brian D.

imported post

Legba, if the 45 days pass without you receiving the license the relief available to you would be by filing a writ of mandamus against the sheriff. This obviously has the drawbacks of:

1) Costing you $250 or so in filing fees

2) Alienating said sheriff, when if fact the delay may be because of the s-l-o-w service sometimes being given by BCI. which by the way is in London Ohio.

A very few people have gone that route according the the OFCC forum. Oneapplicant in Greene County was above 80 days when his license was finally issued. He didn't file the mandamus writ but went through OFCC and his state legislator to get some help as memory serves.

The long delays from BCI are supposedly because of all the background checks they have lately started doing for just about anybody that works in daycare and other kid-related jobs. I find this a flimsy excuse at best but I'm not sure we CC applicants can do much about it, since there is virtually no penalty clause when the licenses aren't issued within the legal time limits.

Legba

imported post

Our rathercolorful sheriff here is a gun guy, and I'm sure there's nothing personal in any delay that might arise. I know that my gun rights are fully reinstated - I already got my xmas present for myself - so I guess I can wait without getting embroiled in more legal process. I'm too jaded from the last round to even consider that, unless it becomes really protracted. Will apprise.

Still, it is curious that I can call FBI/NICS and have myself checked out/approvedin a matter of minutes, even with a record.

-ljp

taxwhat

imported post

Legba wrote:
Well, it is. You only have to get 14/24 within the outer outline thing. No extra credit for doing better. I got 20 in the inner outline, and only put the 4 outliers within the outer outline because of the brass in my face. I don't always wear eye protection (I'm not normally crowded sardine-like at a range either), but it is definitely recommended (I did this time and will in the future).

-ljp
Please what was your target ? The reason NRA rules that a round paper plate nine inch or 81/2 by 11 sheet of paper both with no crosshair or dot or dot .With no limit on number of rounds used to hit same,must show safety and finger and eye copticey not bulls eye .

Legba

imported post

We used human silhouette targets, with a bowling-pin shaped inner field you had to get at least 14/24 within, as well as an inner rectangular "center of mass" target area. This was under the auspices of the state police regulations, which isapparently differentfrom the NRA standards. The law says you need to demonstrate competency under either standard, or have some equivalent background (e.g. military).

-ljp

taxwhat

imported post

Legba wrote:
We used human silhouette targets, with a bowling-pin shaped inner field you had to get at least 14/24 within, as well as an inner rectangular "center of mass" target area. This was under the auspices of the state police regulations, which isapparently differentfrom the NRA standards. The law says you need to demonstrate competency under either standard, or have some equivalent background (e.g. military).

-ljp
Thank you for reply . Now if human silhouette targets where it is against NRA policy and if NRA instructor if known would and should be disiplined .Also if a CPL class Bowling=pins are NO NO Round hard with risks bad .

Legba

imported post

Picked up my shiny new license this morning. Got the call yesterday - it took 3 weeks exactly, despite having a (non-prohibiting) record. Relatively painless, except for getting raped for thousands of dollars for not getting it sooner.

-ljp