• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Am I Reading the Law Correctly

Skippy

imported post

Anderson, IN wrote:
In Indiana cansomeone Open Carry a pitolat age 18 but not CCW until 21?
No. You're reading it incorrectly. You can obtain an Indiana LTCH at 18, but you can't purchase a firearm from an FFL until you're 21. You can still obtain one legally from a private individual. The FFL thing is a federal law.

Indiana law makes no distinction between concealed vs open carry. You must have an LTCH to do either, and since you can get an LTCH at 18 you may carry either openly or concealed at 18.

Anderson IN

imported post

Thanks for the input! This is my first day on this site and it is great! I do open carry often and always concealed carry.

So can you give me a little acronym update: LTCH is.........

Are there any central Indiana groups that you know of? I live in Anderson which is approx 20 miles N/E of Indianapolis.

Skippy

imported post

Anderson, IN wrote:
Thanks for the input! This is my first day on this site and it is great! I do open carry often and always concealed carry.

So can you give me a little acronym update: LTCH is.........

Are there any central Indiana groups that you know of? I live in Anderson which is approx 20 miles N/E of Indianapolis.
Wait...you open carry and concealed carry and you don't know what LTCH means? It's "License to Carry Handgun" and it's written on your handgun license. I assume you have one since you carry, but maybe I'm making an incorrect assumption.

There's a website at http://ingunowners.com where you might find some groups. Seems to have people from all over the state on it.

Anderson IN

imported post

Nope, I have hadone foryears just always referred to it as a CCW. But now that I have it out see that LTCH right at the top! :what:

Thanks for the info!

Skippy

imported post

*whew* Had me a little worried there for a minute!

Yeah, Indiana doesn't do a "CCW", only an "LTCH". Note that your LTCH is only for handguns, not "weapons" (like a CCW can allow). In other words, it doesn't allow you to carry, say, a switchblade.

Skippy

imported post

Training. Train a lot. Go to classes. Train in bad weather as well as good. Train with cold hands and wet hands and tired hands. Train how you fight and fight how you train.

squarepeg

imported post

Skippy wrote:
Training. Train a lot. Go to classes. Train in bad weather as well as good. Train with cold hands and wet hands and tired hands. Train how you fight and fight how you train.
Time for me to go to a range with a good exhaust fan and a bad heater. Sorry not going to go outside and shoot, been there done that, bought the 32* sleeting t-shirt. I'll do it agin sometime but one a year in that kind of bad weather is enough for me. If you wear gloves in winter, train while wearing the same gloves, so you know if you can feel the trigger/ fit you finger in the trigger gaurd.

JB-Indiana

imported post

Skippy wrote:
As Skippy aptly noted, train constantly and consistently. Consistently meaning run through your various drills, etc. until their completely ingrained into your mindset, it doesn't mean not to train in good weather, bad weather, etc. as Skippy cited.

Get used to the FIRST rule of gunfighting: Whenever POSSIBLE, seek COVER immediately, and return fire from a (relatively, depending on circumstances) safe position.

Train like you "know" that you'll be in a gunfight tomorrow, then pray you never are. The LAST thing you EVER want to be is in a gun battle.

Pray that you'll never have to fire your weapon in defense of yourself and/or others, but IF that harrowed day ever comes, DON'T MISS.