• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

One for the good guys. Hilder defeated

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

I just got a phone call from Clark Aposhian who was on the floor of the Senate for the debate and vote on Judge Hilder’s promotion to the court of appeals.

Final vote count was 16-12 AGAINST promoting judge Hilder I believe. So Hilder is NOT confirmed to the court of appeals. He continues to serve as a trial judge there in Summit county.

Speaking against the promotion (in favor of RKBA) was Buttars, Waddoups, Bramble, and Madsen.

Speaking in favor of the promotion (against RKBA) was Bell, Romero, McCoy, Jones, Dmitrich, Carlene Walker, and Mayne.

Real Audio of the floor debate and vote, as well as roll call vote totals should be available on the legislative web page < http://www.le.state.ut.us/> later tonight or tomorrow.

A quick note or phone call of thanks to those who voted against the promotion and in favor of both RKBA and the proper, restrained role of the judiciary and especially those four who spoke out on the floor would be appropriate.

Bear in mind that the vacancy on the court of appeals still exists so the Governor will be starting this process all over again very soon. A call to his office to encourage him to pick a good solid, strict constructionist jurist would also be a good idea.

Charles

Jeff Johnson

imported post

Here is the recording of the Senate proceedings.

My senator voted to confirm (dang), but enough senators listened to their constituents that Hilder was defeated.
YES!!!:celebrate

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=4845407

Utah Senate rejects judicial nominee

November 19th, 2008 @ 5:34pm

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- The state Senate has rejected Gov. Jon Huntsman's nominee for a seat on the Utah Court of Appeals.

On a 16-12 vote, the Senate rejected the nomination of 3rd District Judge Robert Hilder. It's the first time a judicial nominee has been rejected by the Senate since 2003, when it first began interviewing judges.

Incoming Senate President Michael Waddoups, R-Taylorsville, says Hilder has an out-of-control temper and would have been a poor choice.

Several senators who are lawyers defended Hilder, saying he is one of the most respected judges in Utah.

Hilder has served for 13 years in the 3rd District. He has come under attack from gun rights advocates for a ruling that allowed the University of Utah to make rules against concealed weapons on campus.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

In case anyone was wondering, here is how your Senators voted on Judge Hilder.

AYE

B Bell (R)
Davis (D)
Dmitrich (D)
Fife (D)
Goodfellow (D)
Hillyard (R)
Jones (D)
Mayne (D)
McCoy (D)
Romero (D)
VanTassell (R)
Walker (R)

NO

Bramble (R)
Buttars (R)
Christensen (R)
Dayton (R)
Eastman (R)
Greiner (R)
Hickman (R)
Jenkins (R)
Kilpack (R)
Knudson (R)
Madsen (R)
Niederhauser (R)
Stephenson (R)
Stowell (R)
Waddoups (R)
Valentine (R)

Absent

Peterson (R)

scorpioajr

imported post

WalMart Voter Wrote:
WalMart Voter | 5:50 a.m. Nov. 25, 2008 Judge Hilder may be a good judge, but it is painfully obvious that there are many judges who fail to restrain themselves to solely judicial duties. Instead of applying existing statutes, they invade the domain of the legislature by creating new rights and new rules. Although Utah citizens may vote not to retain a judge in a judicial retention election, the process is an ineffective restraint. Many judges routinely legislate from the bench creating their own laws while disregarding existing laws established by the legislature.....

.... Why not require judges answer to the people for their legislative actions, just as legislators must answer to the people they represent. I have noticed that judges including state supreme court justices in some eastern states must run for office in contested elections. Why not give all Utah citizens a voice in choosing their judges?

http://deseretnews.com/user/comments/1,5150,705265720,00.html
+1,000 No way could I say it better than that.