• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CPL Question

rudedude

imported post

Hi All,

I have a question regarding CPL's.

I was looking on the Ypsilanti Police Dept. website, and it states that when I obtain my CPL I must register the CPL and the Firearm that I am going to use for CCW.

I am curious is this standard procedure for Michigan localities ??

I have done a quick check on the local ordinances for Ypsilanti but cannot find very much as to this direction.

rudedude

imported post

Ibelieve I am reading this correctly...

Copied and pasted from Ypsilanti Police Dept. website

http://www.hvcn.org/info/ypd/services/ccw.shtml

Carry Concealed Weapons (CCW) Permit

NOTE: If you do not already own the handgun you wish to carry, please refer to Gun Purchase Permit.

To apply for a Carry Concealed Weapons (CCW) permit:

1. Obtain a free CCW application packet from the Ypsilanti Police front desk or Records Bureau.

2. You must comply with the requirements stated in the packet.

3. Take the completed CCW application form to the Washtenaw County Clerk/Register's Office. You will pay the county's fee and be given a receipt.

4. Take your receipt to the Washtenaw County Sheriff Department, where you will be fingerprinted. It can take 8 weeks or longer for your application to be processed.
After obtaining the CCW permit, Ypsilanti city residents must bring the following four items to the Ypsilanti Police Records Bureau for final processing. Please call 483-8777 for days and times when we provide this free service.

1. Your CCW permit

2. Either a Michigan Driver's License or State ID

3. Your handgun

4. Your handgun sales record
The Ypsilanti Police Department does not charge for any of these services. However, Washtenaw County charges a fee which you pay the Clerk/Register's Office.

LittleMan

imported post

My opinion is I wouldn't bother doing it. I'm not sure if they are even allowed to do that.

My theory is this, Michigan doesn't have a CCW Permit so there is no way to comply. Michigan only issues CPL Permits which from what you showed me isn't mentioned. You may want to contact Ypsi PD and ask them where you can find the law on this. I would assume if there is it would violate Michigan's Preemption Law anyway.

Just my opinion of what I would do.

taxwhat

imported post

rudedude wrote:
Ibelieve I am reading this correctly...

Copied and pasted from Ypsilanti Police Dept. website

http://www.hvcn.org/info/ypd/services/ccw.shtml

Carry Concealed Weapons (CCW) Permit

NOTE: If you do not already own the handgun you wish to carry, please refer to Gun Purchase Permit.

1. Obtain a free CCW application packet from the Ypsilanti Police front desk or Records Bureau.

3. Take the completed CCW application form to the Washtenaw County Clerk/Register's Office. You will pay the county's fee and be given a receipt.

4. Take your receipt to the Washtenaw County Sheriff Department, where you will be fingerprinted. It can take 8 weeks or longer for your application to be processed.
After obtaining the CCW permit, Ypsilanti city residents must bring the following four items to the Ypsilanti Police Records Bureau for final processing. Please call 483-8777 for days and times when we provide this free service.

1. Your CCW permit

3. Your handgun

The Ypsilanti Police Department does not charge for any of these services. However, Washtenaw County charges a fee which you pay the Clerk/Register's Office.
Check with city to see if this is ordnance and when passed guess is not enforceable if given lip service call MSP Sgt Tom Deasy.

rudedude

imported post

Ya thats what I thought. Tooo.

I will be contacting Ypsilanti's finest, and asking them about this guideline or ordinance.

Or is this just another example of them overstepping their bounds, such as the Dennis Barger incident.

"We cannot expect people to have respect for law and order until we teach respect to those we have entrusted to enforce those laws."

-- Hunter S. Thompson

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

rudedude wrote:

1. Your CCW permit

3. Your handgun

Do the first part.

DON'T DO THE SECOND PART!

If I were you, I would keep my mouth shut and just get your CPL. At this point there is no reason to get into a pissing match with them about their BS policy.

Later maybe, but not right now.

dougwg

imported post

I just called the Morons!

According to them, the second part is for if you just purchased a new firearm and not if you just recieved your CCW(CPL). Even though thats NOT what it says. :?

YES! I know the website is F'ed up and very misleading. They also said that I was the ONLY PERSON to have an issue with the info on the website. They also said that they are NOT going to change it because the law changes in a month and a half anyway.

So there you have it.

rudedude

imported post

springerdave wrote:
Looks like dougwg called it right, "Morons" that are too lazy to change their website. Makes one wonder what else they are too lazy to do right.
According to Dennis Barger and others, Get a Search Warrent or probable cause.

dougwg

imported post

rudedude wrote:
Doug,

Thanks for the update, saved me a phone call.

And a asprin..

BTW - What isthe change coming?

Did they mention ?
The change in law is about the not having to return the gun to the cop shop for "safety inspection" and the change from 3 to 4 copies of the RI-60 form.

You have read and educated yourself on the law change that will happen January 7, 2009 haven't you?

rudedude

imported post

dougwg wrote:
rudedude wrote:
Doug,

Thanks for the update, saved me a phone call.

And a asprin..

BTW - What isthe change coming?

Did they mention ?
The change in law is about the not having to return the gun to the cop shop for "safety inspection" and the change from 3 to 4 copies of the RI-60 form.

You have read and educated yourself on the law change that will happen January 7, 2009 haven't you?

Yes I do know about the safety inspection change to the Michigan law. AHH Paperwork...

Thought there was another law change regarding CCW, such as CPL registration with localities. That I was not aware of. The worst question is the one not asked.

Anyway the safety inspection law this year or next year does not require registering your firearm and CPL with Ypsilanti Police. They need to change their website....

Thanks for the info..