• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Transport and Possession

Armed

imported post

I understand that Maryland does not require registration and permits for long guns, but does for handguns and "other" restricted firearms. I also understand that Maryland permits transport of handguns in a seperate locked container, between a place of purchase or repair, shooting events, etc, including *residences*.

Here's my question: As a Virginia resident, can I place my sidearm in a locked container (unloaded, of course) and transport to a private Maryland residence with permission of the landowner - for the purpose of physical possession (i.e., carry) and use, as in target practice on the country estateof my friend (Montgomery County - far western end - very rural).

Is this legally acceptable, or am I potentially tempting fate?

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Armed wrote:
I understand that Maryland does not require registration and permits for long guns, but does for handguns and "other" restricted firearms. I also understand that Maryland permits transport of handguns in a seperate locked container, between a place of purchase or repair, shooting events, etc, including *residences*.

Here's my question: As a Virginia resident, can I place my sidearm in a locked container (unloaded, of course) and transport to a private Maryland residence with permission of the landowner - for the purpose of physical possession (i.e., carry) and use, as in target practice on the country estateof my friend (Montgomery County - far western end - very rural).

IIRC, Montcommie county has an ordinance banning discharge of firearms within the county.

State law only says XXX feet from an occupied structure or building, but I know a lot of counties have add'l laws...

Novus Collectus

imported post

Armed wrote:

Except for full auto, registration is completely vouluntary in MD and that includes handguns and NFA devices.
There is no requirement in state law for long guns or handguns to be in a locked container during transport. Mont. Co has a law about any firearms not being "available for use" though (57-10 in code). However there is a state preemption statute which makes local laws about firearms possession moot.
By state law there is no rules on unloaded long guns when transported, but for handguns which are not antiques they must be unloaded and in an enclosed holster or an enclosed case. It does not need to be locked and the law does not say it has to be out of reach.
You are only allowed to transport non-antique handguns to certain allowed locations or for certain purposes. If you are going to an informal target practice at your friend's, then that is an allowed purpose. If you are residing at your friend's, then that is an allowed location, so you are covered in two ways. If you are travelling to your friend's under the federal transport law, then you need to keep the firearms out of reach and you can stop for gas or a pit stop, but if you are going by MD law instead, the handgun just has to be unloaded and in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster....but no pit stops (the way the law is written there is no allowance for pit stops so we don't want to risk it here).

Target practice on private property in the county is allowed, but they have a lot of rules. If it is in a basement, then shoot away no problem, but outside you cannot fire FMJ bullets from even pistols.
You can shoot within 150 yards of a building or structure with written permission of the owner.
The rest is in Sec. 57-4 and 57-5 of Mo. Co. code. (Part II Local Laws and Ordincances, Sec. 57 Weapons): http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll?f=templates&fn=default.htm&vid=amlegal:montgomeryco_md_mc

Armed

imported post

thanks for the info and the legal link... I think I just need to make sure friend is outside of the declared Urban area, which I'm pretty sure she is.

mkl

imported post

Watch out for prohibited "Assault Pistols" as defined in § 4-301.
Under § 4-303 it is illegal to transport one into the state at all.

Novus Collectus

imported post

mkl wrote:
Watch out for prohibited "Assault Pistols" as defined in § 4-301.
Under § 4-303 it is illegal to transport one into the state at all.
Good catch, but maybe not completely true.

It is illegal to transport into the state and use (like at his friend's place in MD), but if someone is passing straight through on the way to PA for instance, then the federal law should allow the transport.