• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hit this Open Carry for Texas Poll in Houston NOW! News item too with photo of billboard!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.ktrh.com/main.html

Looks like NewsRadio 740 KTRH, Houston is running a story on this today.

Discussion link at http://boards.ktrh.com/MBThread.aspx?GroupID=55&ID=316#R80041

Story at http://ktrh.com/cc-common/news/sections/newsarticle.html??feed=121300&article=4614557

700_1227184150.jpg

Texans are Packing

A billboard on Interstate 45 is raising some eyebrows - and awareness of gun rights laws in Texas.
By KTRH's John Labus
Thursday, November 20, 2008
It's a little-known fact, according to OpenCarry.org co-founder Mike Stollenwerk, "Texas is one of only six states in our nation that bans the open carry of handguns... and that's kind of odd, because Texas is - at the end of the day - pro gun."

Peter Hamm with the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence says he's torn on the issue, because he says this is better than "concealed carry"; However, "If you have a gun in plain sight, you make other people nervous. Does that include a criminal who might be thinking of attacking you? Sure, we'll give that point; but you make the entire community nervous."

Gun store owner Jim Pruett and his employees have already signed the open carry petition, saying the fears of gun control advocates in this case are unfounded.

"These people will still go through the Concealed Carry Program, which would be administered by the Department of Public Safety; and you have to have a background check, you have to be a law abiding citizen, and you would have a right to carry... I think it would be a deterrent to crime."

Pruett says criminals are less likely to engage someone if they can already see they're packing heat.

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Found the iscussion forum and the article... Can't find the poll!!! Any direct links? The link in the article goes to 'Todays' poll...

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Gator5713 wrote:
Found the iscussion forum and the article... Can't find the poll!!! Any direct links? The link in the article goes to 'Todays' poll...

It was a previous day's poll I guess - that's why everybody has to check our home page at OpenCarry.org every day to hit these hot items.

I have heard many folks just monitor their state's thread - big mistake and NATO doctrine violation.

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Mike wrote:
Gator5713 wrote:

It was a previous day's poll I guess - that's why everybody has to check our home page at OpenCarry.org every day to hit these hot items.

I have heard many folks just monitor their state's thread - big mistake and NATO doctrine violation.
:banghead: OOps... A lot of good discussion in that thread though (a few of the members I recognized from here and a few others that are probably here under different alias')
I do normally check the 'hot button' items first, but just don't get logged on every day... maybe need to set up an RSS feed?

GumiBear

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Gator5713 wrote:
Mike wrote:
Gator5713 wrote:

:banghead: OOps... A lot of good discussion in that thread though (a few of the members I recognized from here and a few others that are probably here under different alias')
I do normally check the 'hot button' items first, but just don't get logged on every day... maybe need to set up an RSS feed?
The OCDO toolbar seems to work pretty well, and could beset upto send messages

GumiBear

Founder's Club Member
imported post

cccook wrote:
HeyGumiBear, where've you been?

Work has been brutal lately and I've been spending alot of time out of town, but I check the forum daily just haven't been posting much just reading.

ELK-Tex

imported post

Just an observation...

After reading several different discussion forums on several different websites about Open Carry. I have noticed a couple trends that we in the OC movement need to address or avoid when responding to other post.

1) all the "we'll have shootings in the streets arguments... can be easily shot down by mentioning that all these arguments are retreads from the CC debate and are unfounded. Besides the 44 states that do allow OC this is never been a problem.

2) The main issue I see is too many times the pro-OCers get drawn into a tactics discussion with some anti- or seemingly anti-OCer but pro-CCer. The argument of CC vs OC is not the argument to have on a public forum. Because it is irrelevant to the subject and the SUBJECT is the restoration of our 2nd amendment right to OCin TEXAS. Whether one does it or not is also not the issue. ONLY...the restoration of our 2nd amendment right to OCin TEXAS. Try to get our CCer friend to understand the issue is not OC vs CC but freedom vs unwarranted unconstitutional restriction.