Thread: CHP change of address

Post imported post

I have a FFX county CHP. We moved last year and Ididn't change the address on it or my license. Just changed my license a few weeks ago so now the addresses don't match. i don't want any trouble if have to show it - lobby day. do i need to change it? how hard is that?

thanks

Post imported post

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms.shtm --

"The address on my Resident Concealed Handgun Permit is no longer correct. Is my permit still valid?

Yes. Virginia Code Section 18.2-308, which governs the issuance of resident concealed handgun permits, makes no provisions for changes of address. A permit once issued remains valid until the expiration date is met, or upon suspension or revocation, regardless of the change of address."
    http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/courts/circuit/SP-248.htm -- basically, fill out a "Request a Duplicate Concealed Handgun Permit" with the reason for the request being "Change of Address" and drop it off at the clerk's office, along with your current permit, a self-addressed stamped envelope, and $10.

Post imported post

kle wrote:

"The address on my Resident Concealed Handgun Permit is no longer correct. Is my permit still valid?

Yes. Virginia Code Section 18.2-308, which governs the issuance of resident concealed handgun permits, makes no provisions for changes of address. A permit once issued remains valid until the expiration date is met, or upon suspension or revocation, regardless of the change of address."
    http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/courts/circuit/SP-248.htm -- basically, fill out a "Request a Duplicate Concealed Handgun Permit" with the reason for the request being "Change of Address" and drop it off at the clerk's office, along with your current permit, a self-addressed stamped envelope, and $10.
    thank you. i had called and left messages for two different CHP clerks but haven't talked to anyone. I just didn't want to go without my permit if it took a long time for them to get me a duplicate or being harrassed by the police for having two different addresses. i'll try to make it in next week. thanks again.

Post imported post

when I moved I got an "official" change of address card from the DMV. It's FREE.

Post imported post

6L6GC wrote:
    when I moved I got an "official" change of address card from the DMV. It's FREE.
    I didn't get one...I feel so left out. The state couldn't care less where I live, it seems =) (except when it comes time to pay taxes, of course)

Post imported post

kle wrote:
    6L6GC wrote:
    I didn't get one...I feel so left out. The state couldn't care less where I live, it seems =) (except when it comes time to pay taxes, of course)
    I must be special, i did get one. i had to ask for it. but i got a new license so i just tossed it. no worries, it doesnt seem like it will be a pain to change my chp.

Post imported post

I moved about two years ago and permit doesnt run out for another year... since its still valid and i am cheap decided just to wait till i renew to change where I live.

Post imported post

You are not required to get one for an address change, you can if you want to but they will charge you for it also.
    'Till the last landings made, and we stand unafraid, on a shore not mortal has seen,
    'Till the last bugle call, sounds taps for us all,
    It's Semper Fidelis, MARINE!

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

I did the change of address on my CHP in Spotsyvania County earlier this month. The clerk's office was able to get everything done and signed by the clerk in about 15 minutes. You'd think Fairfax could as well.
    ---

Post imported post

kle wrote:

Wait, so you have to go without your CHP for however long it takes?

Post imported post

hsmith wrote:
    Wait, so you have to go without your CHP for however long it takes?
    Actually, when I had mine done, I asked if I had to surrender my CHP and the clerk said "nah, hold onto it"...so I was covered for the couple days while my Duplicate Request was in-process.

Post imported post

bruins499 wrote:
    I moved about two years ago and permit doesnt run out for another year... since its still valid and i am cheap decided just to wait till i renew to change where I live.
    Me too.

Post imported post

I'm glad this process appears to be easier and better defined now.

When I moved in 1998, several calls to the state police and the circuit court of both locals only left me frustrated and without information. No one had a clue. I just kept the old address on it until it was time to renew.