• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Michigan State Police CPL FAQs updated to include open carry

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I hope this hasn't been addressed already, I couldn't find it in any other forum. Last week I happened to cruise by the MSP CPL FAQ page, haven't been there in a while, and I noticed something amazing. They actually added a section to address open carry. Now one no longer has to search the MSP Legal Update archives to locate the MSP opinion on open carry. I would like to give a big kudos to the "forefathers" of Michigan open carry, I can think of a few. Also, kudos to those who open carry every day, thus advancing public awareness.
http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1586_27094-10953--,00.html#FIREARMSFAQS
[font="Arial, Helvetica"]1.Is it legal to carry a visible pistol in public?[/font]
[font="Arial, Helvetica"]AlthoughMCL 750.227restricts carrying a pistol concealed on your person or in a vehicle, there is no statute that specifically prohibits carrying a visible pistol.MCL 750.234dstates that you cannot possess any firearm in a depository financial institution, a church or other house of religious worship, court, theatre, sports arena, day care center, hospital or an establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, unless that possession is with the permission of the owner or his/her agent of the entity.[/font]

Michigander

imported post

It's about time. I mean really, if you don't need a permit to carry, why would they make you think you do with their FAQ?

smellslikemichigan wrote:
y. I would like to give a big kudos to the "forefathers" of Michigan open carry[font="Arial, Helvetica"][/font]
I suppose I could be called one of those as I was at the first few meetings. While I'm not so much of a leader in MOC like others are, I still think it's fair to point out that this has been a group effort, and that without each and every person who participates, MOC wouldn't be what it is.