• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CT Dept. Of Public Safety Instructions on Open Carry

Jcordero1015

imported post

My Name is Jeremy and I am a young man living in Hamden, CT

Today, Thursday Nov. 11th @ 11:00 am , I had a conversation With An officer at the department of public safety in Middletown. My main concerns as a new Permit Holder in CT were the laws as far as open carry goes. I've encountered so much gray area since i first received my permit, and was trying to talk to someone who could answer my questions. I tried calling my local PD but all they had to say was NO OPEN CARRY!!! bottom line. it was a very short conversation between me and the detective. So i decided to go above his head and talk to someone who knew what the deal was. He Informed me the Our Permits as you all may already know state; "State Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers." and it is 100% legal to do so whether it is open or concealed. Now "mature Judgement" is Most definitely involved. but the plain fact is that it is Legal. Obviously no federal buildings etc. etc. but open carry is our right here in CT.

Although he clarified this for me, I was still concerned. The statute states that if any alarm or panic etc. is brought to the public then, my chances of loosing my permit and pistol, and not to mention be arrested is likely. He expressed to me that if i had a good reason to be carrying it and just portrayed that to the officers that were dispatched, and spoke in an understanding manner things should go well. Police Officers are there after the fact.For example,if I am taking a walk at night, and open carrying and a lady happens to call the cops all they are going to hear is that there is a man walking down my street and he's got a gun! They'll show up ask for my permit and hopefully let me on my marry way. I believe that your attitude towards the local PD will be a definite decision maker on wether or not u get arrested and or loose your permit. Acting or lashing out in rage or annoyance can definitely just piss the Officers off causing ur arrest.

If any of you have any stories or anything in writting concerning OPEN CARRY IN CT, I'd love to talk about it and ask or answer questions if possible.

JUMPMASTER

imported post

Have you not read anything else that is posted on this forum? Open carry in Connecticut has been pretty well covered. I suggest you write to your police department and let them know that they are wrong.

Did you happen to get the names of who you talked to at DPS?

Jcordero1015

imported post

All he gave me was his first name. His Name was Walt. I'll have to write the my PD. I wish i had gotten the name of the gentleman who i spokt to there. I would Love to write him directly. I just hope my letter doesn't aggrevate them .

JUMPMASTER

imported post

If you search for my posts you will find a letter that I wrote to my PD. Feel free to use it. If you send me your direct email address I can send it to you in a word file.

Jcordero1015

imported post

AWDstylez. I been trying to open carry more often. I've really only been doing it on walks near my house at night. Once in a while if i have to go to my car outside. I live on Helen st. in Hamden so there's an elmentary school right down the rd. from me. I Have an interview with the NewHaven PD which i dont wanna get into a unecessary confrontation before it comes. so I'm not fully practicing my right all the time. Which brings up a question if anyone has a source or answer for. What are the legal limits for schools. as far as open carrying. what kind of schools etc. . .

Lank

imported post

I have open carried many times. I don't carry at work because I was specifically told I am not allowed to bring guns on the premises. But everywhere else I go, I carry. And it is almost always open. I have been to wal-mart and stop & shop numerous times. A mall once. Various rest stops along the merritt parkway. Starbucks. Taco Bell. Blockbuster. Dunkin Donuts. Home depot. ...more places than I can remember.

Most of my OCing has been either in Norwalk/Stamford or around the New Haven area. It really doesn't seem to bother anyone at all.

Lank

imported post

...I suppose I should also mention I've been doing this pretty much since I became a member here - so for a few months.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Lank wrote:
Most of my OCing has been either in Norwalk/Stamford or around the New Haven area. It really doesn't seem to bother anyone at all.

LOLGun wavein' New Haven. No wonder no one thinks it's out of the ordinary.

Jcordero1015

imported post

wow, I Haven't tried Open Carrying that much yet, but i hope to. I live in the Hamden New Haven Area. I figured It would Probably Bother People a lot more than it really does. Hopefully in the Next few Months i will be. I really don't see anyone else open carry in this town. Wish more people would. . .

2aSecurity.jpg

Lank

imported post

I'll admit I was *terrified* the first time I did it. I was walking into a Stop & Shop to get groceries and was imagining that I'd be about 10 feet past the entrance when people would start screaming "oh my god! he's got a gun!!!".:uhoh: Didn't happen. Never has. No one reacted with fear or recoiled in terror. It really, honestly, does not appear to bother anyone or cause anyone discomfort as far as I can tell. Very, very surprising to me considering how liberal this state is in general.

I consider non-reaction a good thing though. It means people recognize that I'm a normal guy going about my business without intent to harm anyone. Eventually, people's brains will stop associating "gun" with "criminal", and someday they'll be more likely to associate "gun" with "guy buying cake mix". Or at least that's what I'm hoping for.

Ctgunfun

imported post

I have to say I dont even get why you would want to Open carry, but I am here to see what you guys have to say.

I would Imagine no one says anything when you do because they think your an undercover cop. Thats what I always thought. My local PD and My instructor both made it pretty clear to me that "you can not open carryin CT

So I just assumed those who did were cops.

Jcordero1015

imported post

Lank. . . .I have yet to really walk into a big store or shopping area openly. really It's been on like walks or like i said to and fro. my vehicle. when at home. But I hope to do so. It's good to know People didn't react in a ridiculous manner tho. I think A lot has to do with your appearnce too tho. What were you wearing or how do you ten to dress? I think how you dress and carry has to do a lot with how people will perceive you. As much as we shouldn't judge a book by it's cover everyone does. Imean If you got a guy walking around town with his pants down to his ankles and a hoody on that is twice his size with a gun sticking out of his pants, it might arouse panice or stress. but if you keep a well groomed appearance and your Pistol Is holstered and not in your croch, people may not perceive you as a threat.
CtGunFun. . . Why would we even want to open carry?? Well 1st off I don't think I'm alone when i say it's our right. It's something that many other states are loosing and we as a state should feel privilaged that we have the ability to do so if we please. Personally I feel as tho Open carrying is a better choice than conceal carry. Criminals convicts and thugs arent Open carrying. they usually dont even have holsters. They are the ones that conceal carry illegaly without permit. I feel like open carry would, and at least, should show the public/society that we as permit holders are here. we carry and we are armed. Its our second amendmentright for goodness sake. I mean if there was more of us open carrying...legally of course...what kinda maniac would want to arouse trouble in that neighboorhood?but then again everyone is entittled to their opinions. agreed if you were an undercover cop...open carrying would defeat the whole purpose.

Jcordero1015

imported post

Sroiusly CT is F'd up. I called DPS again today and a lady was very indifferent with me. Telling me we Have a "concealed carrying Permit"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i informed her she was wrong and that i had talk to a gentleman by the name of walt last week who had told me different. she put me on hold...AHHAHA. then a lady by the name of Janet picks up and starts giving me attitude as to why i am calling. And tried to tell me that i have to conceal carry or ill get arrested...so is it worth itfor me to carry openly!!!! you have got to be kidding me. Obviously women dont want us to open carry....at least these women didnt. I did get her to admit there is no law. stating i couldntbut i had to close the convo because she was frustrating me. I jsut wish CT would get their shit together and get on the same page....then there wouldnt be soo much tax money and time into stupid cases like the goldberg case. jeez:cuss:

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

^That video made me realize how badly I need to get a holster that doesn't sag.

Jcordero1015 wrote:
Sroiusly CT is F'd up. I called DPS again today and a lady was very indifferent with me. Telling me we Have a "concealed carrying Permit"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i informed her she was wrong and that i had talk to a gentleman by the name of walt last week who had told me different. she put me on hold...AHHAHA. then a lady by the name of Janet picks up and starts giving me attitude as to why i am calling. And tried to tell me that i have to conceal carry or ill get arrested...so is it worth itfor me to carry openly!!!! you have got to be kidding me. Obviously women dont want us to open carry....at least these women didnt. I did get her to admit there is no law. stating i couldntbut i had to close the convo because she was frustrating me. I jsut wish CT would get their @#$% together and get on the same page....then there wouldnt be soo much tax money and time into stupid cases like the goldberg case. jeez:cuss:

Go CT! :quirky

When is that declaratory ruling supposed to be given so these people can shut up?

Jcordero1015

imported post

not really...There was a nother thread i been posting to about a Open Carry dinner...and i thought it was funny i fell upon that video. i linked it to this thread cause This site is on it...and so is Jpierce. thought it was ironic...i wasnt even looking that hard.