Thread: Federal judge dismisses suit as to Newport News police inadequate training in killing unarmed man

Post imported post

http://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-lo...,3156022.story

" U.S. District Judge Jerome B. Friedman dismissed on Friday the part of the case that accused the city of Newport News and Police Chief James Fox of providing inadequate training and oversight of officers in the ranks."

"Police... said that during the standoff, Harper (decedent) led them to think — incorrectly — that he had a gun. Harper refused their orders to remove his hands from his pockets. When he made a "lunge" at the officers, police said, (Officer) Overton opened fire nine times, reloaded and fired twice more, asserting that Harper was still moving."

Post imported post

reloading and resuming fire would seem to be a little over the top to me. Still moving huh? I think after taking 9 rounds he would have been subdueable without pumping a couple more rounds into him.

Being the suspicious (sp?) so and so that I am, I just wonder:
    1. where the last two shots were placed
    2. at what range were the last two shots fired
    3. did the last two shots cause the man to assume room temperature (if that could be determined)
    4. why the tuff a** cop couldn't just physically overpower a man that had taken a mag full of hollow points, then cuff him and stuff him.

inquiring minds want to know.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Too little information to make a judgemental call.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

6L6GC wrote:
    reloading and resuming fire would seem to be a little over the top to me. Still moving huh? I think after taking 9 rounds he would have been subdueable without pumping a couple more rounds into him.
    I don't think the issue is subduing him... If the officer believed he still had a weapon and was still able to move, the threat of the subject getting off a potentially deadly shot still exists.

I don't know the exact details either, so it's hard to tell. Just offering another thought on the matter.

Post imported post

Anything worth doing is worth doing right. If you are in fear for your life, keep shooting until the threat is no more. I must agree that there is not enough info to make a call one way or the other. You must admit that the LEO did not half ass it.