Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: playing if safe when buying a gun

Post imported post

I'd like to start a section in the new VaGunTrader forum to give people ideas on how to protect themselves when making a person-to-person firearms purchase with a stranger.

Things like : Not inviting strangers to your home tomake the purchase, and getting the seller/buyer to swap names, addresses, phone numbers when making the transaction incase something go wrong later.

What other ideas do you all have?

Post imported post

Have exact change and don't be anal about the sale.
    USAF Retired
    Certified Glock Armorer
    -------------
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. --- Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

Exact change and don't haggle with the person on the price in person that is just rude. Also meet at a well lit place in a good part of town

Post imported post

if something doesnt feel right, walk away

Post imported post

Post imported post

CC or OC a sidearm. There was a post not long ago about someone who arranged a meet with people who were thieves wanting an easy score. Not very likely but it could happen. I would assume you would want to write down their phone number or other information to do some sort of background check.

Can a private citizen do a NICS check? You wouldn't have to keep any records but it would be good IMO to do one if you could or if you had any doubts.

Post imported post

trx680 wrote:
    I'd like to start a section in the new VaGunTrader forum to give people ideas on how to protect themselves when making a person-to-person firearms purchase with a stranger.

Things like : Not inviting strangers to your home tomake the purchase, and getting the seller/buyer to swap names, addresses, phone numbers when making the transaction incase something go wrong later.

Is this really necessary?

Post imported post

Conduct the transaction inside city hall or on the courthouse steps. Places where you are relatively safe, and can make an OC statement at the same time.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
    trx680 wrote:

Of course not.

I have no interest in giving my personal information to a stranger from whom I'm buying. I'll typcally show my VA driver's lic. and CHL to verify residency and reassure the seller that I'm eligible to buy, but I've never had anyone want to copy info down.

Things I like to do: meet somewhere public, and if if you ever have less than a solid feeling then walk away.

Post imported post

Think Wal-Mart parking lot or the local 'Stop and Rob'. I just sold a CZ 82 at the local 7-11 parking lot yesterday. My ad said that the buyer would need to show valid drivers license for (in my case) Nevada. I wrote out both a sales receipt saying that I had sold the gun with serial number to him, and my license number was xxx. He signed another receipt for me that said he had purchased my weapon, serial number xxx and I wrote out his drivers license number. We had both shown each other our DL's and I was carrying my S&W 65-6 concealed. The deal went down without a hitch.

Post imported post

Biggest thing is if you get a bad feeling just walk away...doesn't matter if you're buying or selling the same applies to both.

Post imported post

I wouldn't sell to anyone that didn't have a valid concealed handgun permit and a Virginia Driver's License.
    "These are the shock troops (opencarry.org) of the gun lobby. And, they are not going away."
    Ceasefire NJ Director Brian Miller, NJ.com, August 20, 2009

Post imported post

Why, just because I'm not 21 I'm not special enough to buy a firearm privately?

Post imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    Why, just because I'm not 21 I'm not special enough to buy a firearm privately?
    Maybe if you had a military I.D. and I didn't think you were nuts.
    "These are the shock troops (opencarry.org) of the gun lobby. And, they are not going away."
    Ceasefire NJ Director Brian Miller, NJ.com, August 20, 2009

Post imported post

That's why I have two concealed carry permits from other states...it shows I've passed the same background check multiple times...that is, if the other person asks.

Post imported post

Post imported post

How about some kind of rating system that is viewable on our profile. I understand it won't help much now, but as people buy, sell, trade, they can go back and rate the experience and help build good reputations.

Another idea is let's get to know each other. Maybe a Shoot-n-Q. We could get together somewhere, BBQ some animals, shoot some guns, and bring the family. VA covers a large area so maybe we could have several Shoot-n-Q'sin different areas. Anyway, I think buying and selling among friends is easier than meeting a stranger in a parking lot.

Post imported post

When I've sold firearms, it has either been at a gun show (where punks are very unlikely to pull any smart moves) or at the gun club when the range is open. A trouble-maker would have to be suicidal to get all husky with me if there's a dozen fellow-bubbas right down the line from me.

Post imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
    trx680 wrote:

Sure it is.

How else will I do a reverse lookup to find out where you might have other guns I might want?

Post imported post

Loneviking wrote:
    Think Wal-Mart parking lot or the local 'Stop and Rob'. I just sold a CZ 82 at the local 7-11 parking lot yesterday. My ad said that the buyer would need to show valid drivers license for (in my case) Nevada. I wrote out both a sales receipt saying that I had sold the gun with serial number to him, and my license number was xxx. He signed another receipt for me that said he had purchased my weapon, serial number xxx and I wrote out his drivers license number. We had both shown each other our DL's and I was carrying my S&W 65-6 concealed. The deal went down without a hitch.
    I served on a Federal Grand Jury some years ago, and the testimony given by about-to-be-indicted (wholesale) drug dealers sounded a lot like this. They went to some trouble to check each other out prior to making a deal, and came armed to the meeting.
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

Post imported post

TRX 80 -

Since you're basically doing the same thing as craigslist, why not use their advice as a general template?

the typical - never exchange bank account info, don't do wire transfers, be careful about the types of payment you accept, blah blah blah.

http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams

http://www.craigslist.org/about/safety

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

Loneviking wrote:
    +1 Sounds like what I do, except I use the template for a receipt thats in Bostons Gun Bible. There are also lots of good tips for selling and buying in that book.

Post imported post

Bill in VA wrote:
    DrMark wrote:
    ... I have no interest in giving my personal information to a stranger from whom I'm buying. I'll typcally show my VA driver's lic. and CHL to verify residency and reassure the seller that I'm eligible to buy, but I've never had anyone want to copy info down. ...
    Remember though, some of us have FFLs (collector's and dealer's)and need to log to whom we sell/trade/acquire. I've done many, many parking lot deals and trades (most recently I traded an army-marked PPK for two 1911s) and gun show buys, and only once did anyone ever give me any guff about my hainvg a copy of their info.I make sure to get the buyer's/seller's name, DOB and DL number or a copy of their FFL. As a licensee I'm required to keep an A&D book.If I can't log the item, there's no deal...I'm not going to prison for anyone over any deal, no matter how sweet it might be. Not only that, but I'm not having a gun I owned turn up at a crime scene years later and feds asking me "so who'd you sell it to?" only fore me answer "I dunno, butit wasn't me who robbed the place and shot the clerk."

Each time I've made a trade/buy it's been in a public place like the Walmart parking lot, Shoney's, etc... I've always set it up ahead of time by telephone and actually spoken to the other person before moving forward. I've been armed, I've gotten the other person's name and city (and then Googled their address if I didn't already have it) and a description of the car (gotta know who I'm looking for, right?) I tell my wife whom I'm meeting and where I'm meeting them, I call to let her know I'm there, and then call again to let her know I'm done and back in my own truck leaving the parking lot.
    The onlyentries that go in my bound book are the C&R purchases that were done usingmy license. Nothing else is required to be logged, and nothing else is.

He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

Post imported post

Bill in VA wrote:
    Thundar wrote:
    The onlyentries that go in my bound book are the C&R purchases that were done usingmy license. Nothing else is required to be logged, and nothing else is.
    A point of order, Thundar... If you hold a valid C&R FFL you're supposed to log every C&R firearm acquisiton and disposition. You don't "use" your license. You're either a licensee or you're not a licensee...no middle ground. Even if you fill out a 4473 for that Mosin-Nagant from Dicks Sporting Goods you're still required to log it.
    Correct. You must log every A&D you make "while licensed", not "when you 'use' your license".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast