• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

playing if safe when buying a gun

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Loneviking wrote:
Think Wal-Mart parking lot or the local 'Stop and Rob'. I just sold a CZ 82 at the local 7-11 parking lot yesterday. My ad said that the buyer would need to show valid drivers license for (in my case) Nevada. I wrote out both a sales receipt saying that I had sold the gun with serial number to him, and my license number was xxx. He signed another receipt for me that said he had purchased my weapon, serial number xxx and I wrote out his drivers license number. We had both shown each other our DL's and I was carrying my S&W 65-6 concealed. The deal went down without a hitch.
+1 Sounds like what I do, except I use the template for a receipt thats in Bostons Gun Bible. There are also lots of good tips for selling and buying in that book.

Thundar

imported post

Bill in VA wrote:
DrMark wrote:
... I have no interest in giving my personal information to a stranger from whom I'm buying. I'll typcally show my VA driver's lic. and CHL to verify residency and reassure the seller that I'm eligible to buy, but I've never had anyone want to copy info down. ...

Remember though, some of us have FFLs (collector's and dealer's)and need to log to whom we sell/trade/acquire. I've done many, many parking lot deals and trades (most recently I traded an army-marked PPK for two 1911s) and gun show buys, and only once did anyone ever give me any guff about my hainvg a copy of their info.I make sure to get the buyer's/seller's name, DOB and DL number or a copy of their FFL. As a licensee I'm required to keep an A&D book.If I can't log the item, there's no deal...I'm not going to prison for anyone over any deal, no matter how sweet it might be. Not only that, but I'm not having a gun I owned turn up at a crime scene years later and feds asking me "so who'd you sell it to?" only fore me answer "I dunno, butit wasn't me who robbed the place and shot the clerk."

Each time I've made a trade/buy it's been in a public place like the Walmart parking lot, Shoney's, etc... I've always set it up ahead of time by telephone and actually spoken to the other person before moving forward. I've been armed, I've gotten the other person's name and city (and then Googled their address if I didn't already have it) and a description of the car (gotta know who I'm looking for, right?) I tell my wife whom I'm meeting and where I'm meeting them, I call to let her know I'm there, and then call again to let her know I'm done and back in my own truck leaving the parking lot.

The onlyentries that go in my bound book are the C&R purchases that were done usingmy license. Nothing else is required to be logged, and nothing else is.

KBCraig

imported post

Bill in VA wrote:
Thundar wrote:
The onlyentries that go in my bound book are the C&R purchases that were done usingmy license. Nothing else is required to be logged, and nothing else is.
A point of order, Thundar... If you hold a valid C&R FFL you're supposed to log every C&R firearm acquisiton and disposition. You don't "use" your license. You're either a licensee or you're not a licensee...no middle ground. Even if you fill out a 4473 for that Mosin-Nagant from Dicks Sporting Goods you're still required to log it. :cool:
Correct. You must log every A&D you make "while licensed", not "when you 'use' your license".