• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WT's Guns in Goldsboro, NC-Not Carry Friendly

Gilly

imported post

My wife and I went to WT's today to check out some prices. Their new location is great. It's huge, they have a great selection, they have an on-site range, and they host CCW classes once a month ($75.) On both sides of the door it says "No concealed weapons and no loaded weapons of any kind" (or something like that.) My wife and I are avid open carriers and were glad we didn't have our guns today. While checking out some pistols, I asked the clerk (I think she owns the place) about the policy. I'm paraphrasing, but she said it's to make her comfortable because you never know when some lunatic with a gun could walk in to rob the place. The first thing that popped into my head was that is EXACTLY why I would encourage carry in my store. In fact, if I were her, I'd damn sure be carrying while at work. Obviously, if she owns the place she can post whatever rules she wants, but I'm reluctant to spend any money in there. I thought you all should know.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I'd carry in there, then act surprised if they say anything :D. I've been to a few different places that sell guns that have the "No loaded weapons of any kind." signs. Those signs are mainly to remind the imbeciles that are bringing their gun in for repair or trade that it really should be unloaded first. I've heard more than once that they will "make an exception" for someone legally carrying. You may not want to write them off quite yet.

On the other hand, the sign also says no concealed weapons, which is probably the most stupid sign ever printed. So, ya never know..

Gilly

imported post

No exceptions for legal carry. She told me she would be OK with us carrying as long as our guns were unloaded. :banghead:

Gilly

imported post

My wife just reminded me of something else. There were3 pistols laying on the counter when we walked in. The 2 clerks were 10-15 feet away and notreally paying close attention to the guns. There were also close to 50 rifles and shotguns in racks in the center of the store for all to handle. At the front of the store there were two big shelves of pistol, rifle, and shotgun ammo also out in the open. What's to keep said "lunatic" from picking up a box of ammunition and a shotgun and causing trouble?

russman

imported post

I was just looking to see if WT's Gun Shop had a web site and found this thread. I don't know exactly when the new store opened or what was in the old store and how it was set up, but a lot must have changed since the first post of this topic. I am neither a supporter or non-supporter of the store and I have only been in there a few times.

As for the set up, new store, all the guns are located in the back of the store. All hand guns are behind glass counters and the counters start mid way through the store. No guns in the front of the store. The long guns are along the back and side walls behind the counters. The more expensive guns are in the far back.

In the front of the store is the shooting range entrance, and the ammo displays, then holsters, clothing and bows etc.

All male employees had holsterd firearms. I did not see if the female behind the counter up front was carring or not. To the degree of their knowledge on how to use the firearm at their side, I did not ask.

I would guess all the signs about no loaded guns or carry guns is more of an insurance issue. If an idiot walks in the store and pulls out his loaded gun and shots someone by mistake, the store gets sued. The same reason you have to have a beware of dog sign on your fence for your poodle.

All in all, my take on the store was it was nice, friendly, and clean. On the downside, the ammo is high, the lighting is dim and certain guns are a bit high too.

I will go back to use the shooting range. That is just my 2 cents worth.

Myrighttocarry

imported post

It's the same policy at Firepower in Matthews.

Why, I don't know. but i've heard of a few AD/ND(accidental/negligent discharges)in gun shops, maybe they are just playing it safe.

Edit: clarifying AD/ND

Dreamer

imported post

Mackey's Landing Firearms in Jamesville NC is the same. They have prominant signs posted saying "Non Concealed Carry", and "No Loaded Firearms". You can Open Carry, but you need to check in at the front counter, and show them it's unloaded.

And "Awesome Outdoors" in Washington NC (where I live) is the same. No Concealed Carry, No loaded firearms, check-in at counter if you are open-carrying...

Aside from the "No CCW" thing (I have a valid NC CHP), I have found both these shops to be very friendly. They have knowledgeable staff, friendly sales people, and good selections of firearms, ammo, and accessories.

But having to do the "open-Carry Tuck" with my shirt or jacket is a pain with stores like this. Usually I just leave my ParaOrd in the truck. Is' simpler to just take ot off than to try and make sure my clothing stays properly positioned for acceptable Open Carry in places like this.

Oddly enough, almost all of the gun-selling pawn shops in the Washington/Greenville area allow concealed carry. And Doc's Gun & Pawn in Greenville DOES allow CC, but their prices tend to be about 25-50% higher than "market" for used firearms, so I rarely visit there.

I'll bee compiling a list of all the different places (gun shops, pawn shops, restaurants, gas stations, etc) in the Washington/Greenville area over the next few months, and will be posting a website with the information. I'm also starting to work with the local SCCC chapter at ECU regarding CC, so I'm sure some useful info will come from that too. One of my first projects will be a laminated wallet card listing all the CC-friendly (and legal) restaurants in the area...

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

Myrighttocarry wrote:
Could still be there, but I couldn't tell you for sure. I went not to long ago and I don't recall it being there... but it doesn't mean it isnt.
I go to Firepower at least once a week, sometimes more (remember, my office is only five minutes down the road and I'm a gun nut). I have OC'd almost every handgun I own there. They are fine if they know you, but the sign is still there. Just tell John to go back to whispering sweet nothings to his boy friend for tattoo money. He'll quick harrassing you.

Myrighttocarry

imported post

I'm just a college guy with no money in their eyes, even though I do manage to spend money with them at least twice a month and donate my brass...

To be honest with you most of the males in the store don't even respond to me, even if it is really obvious I just want to get on the range. The females in there however have great attitudes towards me(they will ask if I want to handle something in the case, you know treat me like a potential customer)... it's fine with me though, even if i have been eyeing that colt new agent in there i'll just spend my money elsewhere.

I've been ignored for nearly 10 minutes in there waiting to get on the range... that day there were no female employee's... I almost lost it but I really wanted to shoot. I don't take it personally, just chalk it up to being young... either that or they think signing people into the range is womans work.

russman

imported post

I would just say at any place of business, if they seem to ignore customers, they will not be in business long. And when they do, "get loud" HEY, YOU, SERVICE PLEASE

Bebog

imported post

I asked the owner of WT's about the sign as well. It is actually the lady's husband and he took over from a family member (his father-in-law I think, but not sure). Anyway, he claimed it was a rule from the previous owner and he left it in place. I never really bought that excuse and am sure what his wife told the OP about her being more comfortable is closer to reality. And BTW, she is usually carrying when I see her.

I as well as 3 of my friends took our CHP class through them as well which is what prompted me to ask about his sign in the first place. As for prices, be sure to check elsewhere and especially Lawman's in Raleigh and Perry's in Wendell. I have bought 2 guns through WT's though because they were the only ones that had them in stock. They were about $80 dollars higher than Perry's on my Judge and don't remember the difference on my P345. Thankfully, Lawman's had my Smith Bodyguard in stock because WT's were over $150 higher on that one!

I do feel it odd though that I can (and do) open carry into Food Lion frequently to buy groceries but have to leave my weapon in the vehicle at a gun store, and one who teaches CHP classes at that.