• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WT's Guns in Goldsboro, NC-Not Carry Friendly

Dreamer

imported post

Oh, yeah, one more "STAY OUT" business I forgot...

The Liberty gas station/convenience store in Washington NC (and I assume the whole chain...) has "No Weapons" signs posted on their doors. I won't even buy gas with a credit card at their drive-through pumps because of that one...

As far as I know, they are the only gas station/convenience store chain in NC that posts these signs.

I suggest an all-out boycott of this chain...

Dreamer

imported post

I dropped in to D&L Guns in Winterville NC today after classes at ECU. I'm looking for a birthday present for myself, and just had a hunch they might be able to hook me up.

And in fact they might be just where I spend my money. They had a Walther P22 for a VERY good price, and they gave me a GREAT price on a Mossberg 500 "Combo" (that includes both an 18.5" and 28" barrels, and comes with wood full-size stocks AND wood pistol grips)--in fact their price for this VERY sweet-looking combo was less than most of the other local dealers quoted me for a stripped-down 18" polymer 500. They were very friendly, and answered all my questions without hesitation.

But here's the great part--there were NO signs on the door or windows, and when I asked about their "carry policy" they only said, "we'd like to see it if you're carrying". So not only is this store carry-friendly, they are OPEN CARRY friendly.

The staff were all wearing Glocks, BTW.

They also offer a LOT of different training--they have a staffer who is NRA instructor certified to teach other instructors (which is something I've been looking into myself) and seem very keen on education and training. I was thinking I was going to have to go all the way to Apex or Jacksonville to get my NRA C-RSO certification, bit it looks like I can do it right down the road!

I think I'll drop in tomorrow morning after work wearing my Para in my new Coyote Tan Serpa CQC. They should get a kick out of that. We can swap some stories while they are running my order for the Mossberg. Hopefully it will come in in time for my birthday this weekend. I've told my sweety that it's not really just a "me" gift, it's a gift for the whole family, because I can use it to teach her how to shoot Sporting Clays (which she has expressed interest in) when we swap in the 28" barrel, AND I can teach her and my stepdaughter how to use it as a home-defense gun, because most of the time, this shotgun will have an 18.5" "personal defense" barrel on it, and it will be much more manageable for them than the Para, both in terms of ease of use/learning curve, and general effectiveness under stress... :shock:

I'm still debating whether or not I want to put one of those new Blackhawk/Knoxx recoil-absorbing adjustable stocks on it. They look VERY cool, and would make this gun's LOP adjustable to the different arms of all my family members, AND it would keep recoil manageable for our pixie of a stepdaughter (she's 24, but tiny). And with the optional cheek-rest, you could even use it effectively for clays. Plus I would LOVE to see the looks on the regular "clays" crowd when I walk up to the stand with what will be essentially a tactical Mossberg 500 with a holographic reflex sight and a 28" vent rib barrel... :quirky

NCjones

imported post

Personally I don't go to WT's just for that reason. he's willing to take my $ and give me the CCW course, but he doesn't want me exercising that right in his store.

NO GUNS = NO MONEY

Four seasons sports is located on Ash Street. They don't have any signs.

NCjones

imported post

A reply from my inquiry about WTs signs. I thought if I was by there and needed some of that surplus 7.62x54 ammo I could park in the parking lot and call them on my cell and tell them to bring it out. Sort of like a drive-thru!

"We HATE to lose any customer but realize that not all of our decisions will please everyone. We put the signs up so that we could assure ourselves that anyone going into the range told us of all the guns they would be shooting that day.Our backstop will only handle certain calibers and ammunition types. We have had people tell us that they have no other guns only to see them shooting a gun we did not check before they entered, when we went into the range to ask them about it their answer was they forgot they had their concealed gun and decided to get some practice in with it. So we decided it was best to protect our investment with making sure we knew every gun that came in. But again everyone is allowed an opinion I just hate to lose any customer. Thanks again, Kirk Mayes"

NCjones

imported post

I think you nailed it. According to their posted range policy the following are acceptable on their indoor range:
  • All handguns up to.50
  • All rifles up to.325WSM
  • All shotguns
  • Full auto weapons rental available with RSO supervision
Everyone who carries a piece concealed over fifty caliber please raise your hand!:celebrate

mbgreite

imported post

This baffles me that a gun shop doesnt allow people to carry in their store!!! Then why hold CCW classes??? I wouldnt give them any of my money.

Dreamer

imported post

mbgreite wrote:
This baffles me that a gun shop doesnt allow people to carry in their store!!! Then why hold CCW classes??? I wouldnt give them any of my money.
It's been my exerience that about 50% of the gun stores (and this includes Pawn Shops that sell guns, but not sporting good stores like Dicks or WalMart or Gander Mountain) have a "No Guns" policy, and among the 50% that do not specifically prohibit guns, about 50% of THOSE want you to have it OC and unloaded...

My general rule is, if there is no sign, I'm probably going to CC if it's not specifically a gun dealer. WalMart, Dicks, Gander--I'm going to CC--out of sight, out of mind, no hassles. You are NOT going to "educate" some middle-manager anti who is ALSO a narcissistic sociopath on a control trip. He'll never admit he's wrong, and will probably call the cops if you don't immediately leave or hide the gun. I don't have time for that sort of power-trip BS when I'm shopping for toilet paper, cat litter and clay targets...

In most stores that are specifically gun stores, I will OC, from my car to the store and back. The stores that are cool with operational OC are my favorite, I can just walk in, walk around, and talk with the salespeople. These types of stores also tend to have the most knowledgeable sales people.

The ones that have a "no loaded or concealed firearms" rule are sort of a pain because I have to drop my magazine, stop at the front counter and show them that the chamber is empty. Personally I think this is a SILLY rule, but I can sort of understand it. These stores tend to be higher volume "sporting" stores that have other stuff besides guns, and they do a LOT of cash business and are often in out-of-the way locations, so although I think they are being paranoid with such a policy, I can sort of understand the paranoia. Then again, most of the stores with this policy have staff that is walking around with Glocks on their hips, so it is sort of an elitist attitude.

When I win the lottery, I'm going to open a chain of sporting goods stores with restaurants attached where "operational OC" is not only allowed, but encouraged... :celebrate

NCjones

imported post

One would think that businesses wouldn't be ignorant like this. Anyone legally CC'ing has been thru every background check there is. Anyone OC' ing is law abiding and no doubt has no record or they wouldn't be brazen enough to OC and risk getting arrested.

The punks that are going to rob the place are either

1) coming in OC'ing with guns blazing from the very start or

2) going to CC until they get in the best position to pull their guns and control the situation.

Either way, the laws and the signage doesn't matter to them. The signs only prevent the law-abidding patrons from coming in.